Papaya not ripening

Hello

Need some help. Apparently the papaya on my farm is growing, but not ripening. Can anyone suggest when to pick papaya?

Shiv

[quote=anushafarms]
Hello

Need some help. Apparently the papaya on my farm is growing, but not ripening. Can anyone suggest when to pick papaya?

Shiv
[/quote]When it was planted? What was nutrient managements you followed? Flowers are falling? Photos in different angles etc?
Papaya can start ripening at 9th month onwards after planting them. 4 to 5 yellow stripes around the papaya is indication of ripening of fruits. However it depends the stage of harvesting calculating the time to transport the fruits from farm to consumers.

Dear Shiv,

We have had exactly the same problem and the solution we found are below.

Be patient, the Papaya will start turning from green to yellow slowly and that is the right time. Either you can pluck the unripe fruits and keep covered in paper so that it becomes ripe Or allow it to ripe in the tree itself.

The paper ripening model is preferred if you have issues like theft, squirrel eating fruits etc.

Note: Even the unripe fruits are used as vegetables in cooking.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

[quote=anushafarms]
Hello

Shiv
[/quote] Dear shiv sir, Papaya fruit should be riped on the plant. To confirm we have to observe little patch/strip of yellow colour on the fruit skin. Then for long distance transports pluck the fruits, wrap invidually with news paper and load them in the vehicle.In 2 or 3 days it reaches marketable colour. For short distance marketing,pluck the fruits with more yellow colour converted fruits,wrap individually with news paper and load the fruit to nearer markets. In a day or two days it will attain good colour for marketing. Never cut the fruits without yellow colouration and it will never ripe.I am not a qualified person and only a farmer. As far as variety is cocerned ,M/s known you seed co ltd,taiwan it self is not introducing any new variety in papaya as they do not want to discard this red lady, with a doubt that any new variety may not click in the markets better than red lady. its my opinion. As far as taste and quality is cocerned SURYA is a best variety but as the size is small,it is difficult to market.I have grown surya long back and markets did not accept it much. G.p.Rao,farmer

Thanks All for the replies

The Papaya was planted in April of 2012. Due to water logging we lost a lot of the crop. This section of the farm was cultivated in conventional method of applying dap/urea.

I will watch for a couple more weeks

Shiv

Shiv,

Watch out your urea dosage. If there is Excess N also this can happen. You can find this only by soil testing.

Thanks Sri. Will have that checked out

Shiv

I want to add one more thing here.

If you want to attain the full growth of your papaya fruit, it is best to leave the fruit in the tree and then pluck them only when they start showing patches of yellow.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

Dear Mr.,

Plse note for showing maturity signs - Phosphorus is must. For papaya potash,Magnesium ,Sulphur, calcium, requirement is high during summer, also micro nutrients. I will give you few recommendations , you can harvest your fruits soon

– 19:19:19-500 gm + MAP - 500 gm+ Foliar grade micronutrients - 100 gm +Planofix-50 ml +jagtonic-1 lit/ 200 lits water - spray to whole plants.

After 10 days spray

Multi-k - 500 gm + Magnesium sulphate- 250 gm + Solubor-100 gm + jagtonic- 1 lit+ vinegar 40 ml/ 200 lits water spray.

Plse check pH of soil,irrigating water - is there any nematode attack is there?

Thank you
Good Luck

[quote=anushafarms]
Thanks All for the replies

The Papaya was planted in April of 2012. Due to water logging we lost a lot of the crop. This section of the farm was cultivated in conventional method of applying dap/urea.

I will watch for a couple more weeks

Shiv
[/quote] Dear Shiv Sir, Papaya crop can not tolerite water logging for more than even 24 to 48 hrs. Immediately the Trunk rot starts and the plant will fall and die soon. Root system gets badly affected and fungal problems enters. Deficiencies also starts soon. .Hence when we wants to start farming papaya,we should first see that the papaya plants should be on a bed of height 1 ft. The irrigation water should not be in touch with the trunk , bark. Once the deficiencies starts it leads to problems and un ripening also. g.p.rao,farmer