Papaya fetch you millions of rupees in a season

Papaya is a heavenly fruit that enhance and extend the longevity of life and keeps the physical appearance youthful and skin very smooth without wrinkle …
Having originated in central American countries , the papaya has gone through various stages of crop improvement undertaken by world Agricultural scientist and now the high yielding hybrid papaya plants are producing huge yield @ 100 kgs per tree per season .
An acre of land can house 1000 plants @ the spacing of 2 .0 M by 2. 0 M and produce 100 MT of fruits in about 15-20 Months times
At the selling price of INR. 10 / kg , the yield of 100 MT would earn you INR.10,00,000 …
An acre of land remove 124 kgs of Nitrogen , 96 kgs of Phosphorus , 254 kgs of potash ,185 kgs of calcium and 124 kgs of Magnesium besides trace quantities of trace eelements like Boron, copper, Manganes, iron , Zinc and chlorines
You can not fix standard fertilizer doses for high yielding hybrid papaya cultivation . The nutrients supplement level varies depending on the type of soil and level of fertility status and method of application adopted .
Papaya needs more potassium to sustain heavy yield and taste in terms of Total soluble salts ( TSS ) and acidity .It also promote resistence to pest and disease .
The papaya needs fertilizer from 3rd month onwards and its level of consumption increase progressively in accordance with the stage of growth and fruit numbers per tree …
Soil should be well drained with enough organic matter and uniform structure and uniform soil profile in the root zone .
Root rot disease in early growth stage, Mealy bug during fruiting and ringspot virus invite serious attention
So the success of papaya farming depends on selection / production of disease free papaya seedlings , fertilizer and water management, pest and disease management , selection of right planting season to avoid frost injury …

3 Likes

where can we get papayya seedlings ? and price ?

Hi Ramu ,

As you said success of papaya farming depends on selection of disease free papaya seedlings, where / whom we can trust for quality seedlings?

As you mentioned, Hybrid Papaya needs fertilizer doses , what about organic way ? can we get good yielding ?

Thanks ,
SS

great …papaya plants are infected by virus that completely makes the tree unproductive …The virus are seed borne and spread through seeds and insect vector when after sucking the sap from infected plant would carry the virus to nearby healthy plants …As you know there are no chemical control for virus …It is just through control of insect vector that spread of virus is prevented .however you can treat the seeds in milk solution or panchagavya before sowing …The milk successfully prevent the spread of virus .
you can grow papaya organically .but all you need to do is recharge your soil periodically with enriched organic manure and rate of recharging depends on the innate and inherent soil fertility level of your land …Because for effective root metabolism there must be enough nitrate ions in roots for continuous root activity and nutrient absorption …Either low concentration of this ion or higher concentration of Ammoniacal ion due to over organic matter by way of uncured animal manure application will impair the plant growth and yield …Further papaya @ 100 KGS / tree yield level require continuous nutrients in medium concentration once it starts producing flowers by 7-8 months time …In organic cultivation you need to amend soil continuously …

Hello Ramu,

Thank you for the detailed article. What variety of Papaya do you suggest for the spacing and yield mentioned in your post.

Thanks
Sahil

This is Thaiwan hybrid papaya

What is the target market we are looking, are we looking for local fruit markets where the prices fluctuating with wide ranges or are we talking about Bombay or Delhi cuttings.

Can you share any contact details of the buyers around Hyderabad if any??

Great …Actually I have no idea about Hyderabad market …For your Infos, you need to organize commodity group to find a better market for papaya
various market for papaya are
1.Retailer
2.wholesaler
3. Cosmetic industry
4.Food industry
Last two markets consume bulk quantity and it absorb entire market supply …

Want to know more details, I think this is best time to grow to harvest during July-August this year.

Please send me details,
Thank You.

Standard and common information will not serve any purpose .

The important thing to note is every crop has its unique requirement of soil and climatic condition to prevail on to produce estimated potential yield .This we call as ideal production environment . If the prevailing production environment in your location is ideal , then your job is made easy . If the prevailing climatic and soil condition vary appreciably from it ideal condition , then you have to create or provide for crop’s unique requirement . If the cost of provision for this necessary crop production environment is enormous and beyond our management , This kind of crop cultivation will look unmanageable with some negative impact on yield and quality and ultimately net income generated from unit area of cultivation

So please first do know about your location for the suitability in terms of soil and prevailing climatic condition . And then compare it with unique crop requirement and make suitable amendment to bring the growing condition near to ideal condition . Dont just always refer text that are common guideline for crop production

CULTURAL PRACTICES FOR HI TECH PAPAYA CULTIVATION

Pit size – 2 Feet length, breadth and depth
Basal –0.250 kg Muriate of potash+ 0.250 kg super phosphate applied at the base of the pit
10 kgs Farmyard manure+ 100 grams sanjivini plus+10 grams Azospirillum+10 grams phosphobacteria +10 grams VAM + Trichoderma viride 5 grams mix applied per the pit after papaya seedlings are planted
Seed rate – 200 g /acre
Sowing - Polybag filled with garden soil +FYM+sand @ 1:1:1 ratio .Addition of Trichoderma viride 2-3 g per bag
Sow 2-3 seeds per bag for gynodioecious variety
Spacing : Normal – 1.8 M * 1.8 M / 2.0 * 2.0 M based on soil fertility status
High density : 1.3 M *1.3 M
Dwarf variety : 1.2M * 1.2 M
Age of the seedlings : 30 -40 days / 15-20 cms height
Mulching around the basin
FERTILIZERS / FERTIGATION ;
First week 2nd month after planting @ 2 Kg of 19-19-19, 1.0 kg Urea /acre
45 , 52 and 59 th days – Agro vita @ 5 ml per lit water – 200 lit water is used for single fertigation ( 200 lit water * 5 ml = 1000 ml *3= 3000 ml )
First week of 3rd months after planting – DAP @ 100 kg ,Neemcake @ 200 kg , Urea @ 75 kgs ( @ 100 gram DAP , 200 grams of neem cake and 75 grams of Urea
At first week of 4th month after planting – DAP @ 100 kg, Neem cake @ 200 kg ,MOP @ 300 kg ,MN mix@ 10 Kgs
( 100 grams DAP, 200 grams Neem cake and 300 grams MOP and 10 grams of Micronutrients mixture
From the end of 4 – 6 th Month after planting –Fertigation
At 120 th days – WSF 12-61-0 @ 12 kgs
At 135 th days – 0-0-50 WSF @ 20 kgs
At 150 th days -12-0-35 WSF @ 12 kgs
At 180 th days WSF -0-0-50 @ 12 kgs
At 195 th days WSF -12-0-61 @ 12 kgs
At 210 days – DAP @ 100 kgs MOP @ 75 kgs ,MN mix@ 10 Kgs,Sulphur @ 15 kgs
( DAP – 100 grams , MOP – 75 grams and MN mix -10 grams and sulphur -15 grams )
FOLIAR SPRAY
ZnSo4- 0.5%
FeSo4- 0.2 %
CuSo4- 0.2%
Borax -0.1%
At 3,5 and 7 th month after planting
IRRIGATION
April – once in 2 days for 3 hours
May – Every day 2 hours drip irrigation
June-Oct – Monsoon
Nov-March –Once in 4 days for 2 hours
Female /Male ratio – 10:1
One tree yield not less than 100 fruits with average fruit weight of 1.5 kgs
For 1000 papaya trees , 1000 tree *100 number of fruits *1.5 kg per fruit =150 MT
But by providing for variation in soil fertility , cultural management practices , location ( latitude, longitude & Altitude ) , prevailing weather parameters , quality of irrigation water sources we just take 62.5 % of estimated yield
This shows that when we follow above schedule of cultural packages , the yield ranges anywhere between 100 – 150 MT per acre

2 Likes

Dear Ramu ji,

Thanks for your detailed information.

I am from Ranchi, Jharkhand, I am interested in Papaya farming, talked with local scientists and NGOs, however hardly any farmer planted Papaya on big scale. Many of them are suggesting not to plant Papaya.

Climate details are as follows:

Feb: 15 to 20 Degree
March to July: 30 to 40 Degree
August to October: 27 to 34 degree
November to Jan: 4 to 18 degree

Would like to know whether this climate is suitable for Papaya farming? Your guidance will be appreciated!!

I had got yield about 200 kgs per plant and round up rate got is Rs.4-5 per K.G.
The detailed information was earlier posted in the Forum.

Hi Ramu,

I have papaya farm 6 acrs near Hyderabad, some trees are lost, I got only 80 tons overall in first cutting, I have sent those local Hyderabad market. I have not properly managed it, I am in loss, now only less than 50% of the trees have fruits and also some are 1 kg some are less. Let me know if you know anyone who can buy green fruits in wholesale, I want remove this planation

Dear Mr.Srinivas
As you confessed the papaya needs Timely care and nutrition & water management or else ends up in poor quality and yield
Better you can approach local fruit vendors or super markets like reliance fresh , more etc for selling whatever is left in the field
Regards

Dear Mr.Ayushkr
Well .One simple thing to understand in cultivation is soil as well as atmospheric Temperature .You say the prevailing temperature between Nov to Jan has registered 4-18 deg Celsius .
If soil temperature goes near 4 or something like that it will upset root system and render it inactive or may kill it resulting in death of plants
But i don’t hear people say such thing happened in india .
Another solution to this problem is straw mulching .You can lay paddy straw in interrow spaces to the thickness of 5-10 cms .This will protect your crop from chilling injury and also check weeds in the field .
In case of low atmospheric temperature you can resort to water spray to the plants until severe winter passes off
Regards

Awesome details. Thanks for sharing