Papaya Cultivation

Dear Members,

I have prepared bed for Papaya seedling.
Can I get the advice how to transplant with fertilizer schedule for the plant?

Thanks in advance.
Siddhartha.

Spacing between the plants

higher density cultivation methods employs spacing of 1.5 x 1.5 m. if proper care and nutrients can be made available as per requirement of plants you can even go for 1.2 by 1.2m

Nutrition requirement

they need quite heavy doses of manures and fertilizers. other then farm yard manure that you will be putting in the pits(10-13kg) you will need around :
200-250 g.of N, P And K per season
other thn this micronutrients you will need are: Zinc and boric acid

i found this doc online, might be helpful for you,

find attached
Papaya Cultivation-056.doc (76 KB)

Watch out:
Papaya cannot withstand waterlogging even for 4-5hrs.
There also complaints that thoes who used sprinklers got fungal infection on stems.

Hi All,

I am planning to start papaya cultivation in my native place Kadakol,Gulbarga dist.Need some information on Red Lady Papaya
• How many number of papayas can be produced in single plant?
• How many number of papaya plants can be planted in one Acre?
• What is the market rate per k.g of Red lady papaya
• What is the production of papaya per acre of land?
• What are basic necessary care to be taken ?
• When can we expect the first output ?
• How long does one plant can produce papayas?
• Is it worth exporting to outside India or sell to local market ?
• 10 What is the size of each papaya?
Kindly help on me

Regards,
Biradar M B
Mob No:09035448455
Mail Id:mbiradar22@gmail.com

Based on my knowledge (not practical though) based on my interest to go for papaya myself

I am planning to start papaya cultivation in my native place Kadakol,Gulbarga dist.Need some information on Red Lady Papaya
• How many number of papayas can be produced in single plant?

• Dependes on the Soil, nutrients, water supply. Normally you need to have around 30 Papaya at any given point of time for proper spacing, right balance and healthy plant and fruit

• How many number of papaya plants can be planted in one Acre?
On an average you can have 1050 (7x6), 1225 (6x6), 1470(6x5), 1700 (5x5),. I would prefer to go with either 7x6 or 6x6 just to avoid too much crowding, as the virus also spreads at higher speed in the dense environment.

• What is the market rate per k.g of Red lady papaya

• Varies anywhere between 5 - 14 rupees, and best price is around Ramadan.

• What is the production of papaya per acre of land?

• It depends on the density as stated above, but as a thumb of rule, you can expect atleast 1-2 KG per 2 weeks per tree giving you 1 ton or 1.5 tons of yield per fortnight with 7x6 spacing, you can do the math for other spacing

• What are basic necessary care to be taken ?

• Good nitrogen content manure, sandy loom soil with good water clearance, keen watch for any infection and acting to eradicate it, worst case eradicate the plants before spread.

• When can we expect the first output ?
from seed to fruit, it will be around 10 months, but if you transplant 45 days plants you can expect in 9th month, first crop will be probably 50% and it gradually improves as said above

• How long does one plant can produce papayas?

• Tree can grow for many years but taking the yield will become tough as the tree grows higher and higher. Its better to have a 2.5 years if all goes well, as they start to get tired and get infected easily. If you are doing this as intercroping, remove it a year before your primary crop start of yield. Removing of the papaya has pumped the growth of Mango, probably because the hunger of Papaya is more for nitrogen and nutrients
    • Is it worth exporting to outside India or sell to local market ?
    If you have plans to sell to the end users / end users directly with the yield you are generating, then the local market is the best, but if you think you do not have that infrastructure or do not wish to take the risk of rotten fruits, fluctuations and labor issues, and if you know a exporting market, then it is better to go with it. Best, consistent and profitable if gone with export.

If you are selling directly to end customer, the rate you can expect is around 20 - 30
If you plan to dump your yield at local fruit market, then you will be exploited and you end up at 6- 10 ruppes
if you plan to give it export or bulk industry purchases you might get around 10 - 12 rupees

• 10 What is the size of each papaya?
Average size is anything between 1kg - 2kg, sometimes you can expect 3 kgs also but the market does not like big size in this case.

Kindly help on me

it is better to have raised beds with mulching with drip irrigation to control weed problems and effective utilization of nutrients. your investment of mulch can be saved with the your regular weed removal costs.

Good Luck and share your experiences as you go