Papaya Cultivation using Flood Irrigation..?

Hi,

I have 50 days old Papaya Orchard( 4 Acre) with spacing 6ft x 6ft. I have yet to get drip irrigation facility( Govt subsidy is in pending). Till then, Can i cultivate by flood irrigating through furrows on both sides of raised bed( Width 1ft) of Papaya Plants…?

Let me know whats all drawbacks/consequences by doing so…

Thanks in Advance !!

I don’t see any problems, as long as you are not over-irrigating and provided you have enough water.
Papaya is sensitive to even short periods of water logging.

make ring 1 feet away from stem of papaya plant…irrigate it…don’t too much water (it depends upon soil type)

My Papaya plants are 50 Days old. Is ring necessary…? Will trenches on both sides not sufficient …? we gona replace it with drip irrigation system in 2 months.

Thank Q

Hi,

You can have trunch in between two plants and flood irrigate nothing will hapen.

No need of ring.

Agree with this reply.

Pavan,

Do irrigate ASAP your papayas (what Vrs. are they Red Lady, Maradol??). Can you include photos? I don’t see any problem especially in the summer to irrigate by flooding the crop. To determine how much, the idea is to keep humidity but not puddles the plants have to drain otherwise you will create fungi and this will create an expense and worries.
I’m a Papaya Farmer in Nicaragua. I have 1.5 acres and have learned the hard way.  ???
Hope this help.
Let’s keep in touch.
p.s include photos.

Sorry for the late replay !!
Yes Sir, they are red lady variety. I have already started irrigating them using flood irrigation but we could make trench only on one side using our bullocks without damaging the plants. I started process of getting tiller to make trench on other side but it may one more month till then we have to manage single trench on one side( Don’t know whether this will cause any damage :wink: )
Also our farm has natural slope and composed of loomy soil, so water is not logging at all, it is drenching quickly.

Further suggestion welcomed Sir!!

Don’t have latest pics . Below attached pics are 40 days old !!

P.S My mother is taking care of our farm and my uncle is helping in farming activities as we both don’t have prior knowledge. I am just providing her inputs staying away from our farm by 100 Kms in Hyderabad.

They look GREAT! Healthy!! Keep them that way. What are your fertilizers and dosage? What are your foliar and dosage? Going back to the water theme I water my Papayas on a regular basis. I have been keeping records of water “dosages” because is one highest constant expense. I pull my water from 86 meters deep. My farm is also in a slop and I use this to drip irrigate using gravity; I have two storage towers in the highest part of the farm.
I started planting as an experiment and planted 700 plants, from these plants I learned how to produce. My lack of experience and resources made me experiment with natural foliar and insecticides. I was attacked by the fury of a fungus that eliminates 260 plants.
Red Lady strives in a well watered, well fertilized (foliar or ground applications). It’s a resistant and noble plant.
Let’s keep the conversation going. I have to go to work but will try to include some photos.
ps. photos are to dense. will work on them.
saludos.

some photos. not the best resolution. i have an old phone. Cheers.

Well !! This is my first farm and i don’t have any prior experience in farming. Till now i have used FYM, Natural Foilers and insecticides only( from ZBNF) ??? After planting i came across ZBNF method. It enthused me to use only Natural Foilers and not nursery shared Fertigation literature.

I have also sown cowpea(for N fixing) in between rows but majority did not grown :frowning: (Due to heavy rain and my bullocks) . I am planning to sow them again along with dry mulch of Gliricidia leaves and Rice Straw.

I don’t know with above methods i will be successful or not ???

BTW, Pics are looking Good :slight_smile: Yeah high resolution pics will show the beauty of your farm clearly :slight_smile:

Pavan,

[quote]Till now i have used FYM, Natural Foilers and insecticides only( from ZBNF) ??? After planting i came across ZBNF method. It enthused me to use only Natural Foilers and not nursery shared Fertigation literature.

I have also sown cowpea(for N fixing) in between rows but majority did not grown :frowning: (Due to heavy rain and my bullocks) . I am planning to sow them again along with dry mulch of Gliricidia leaves and Rice Straw.
[/quote]

I’m curious of to how be your plants today with this fertilization method. This is the first time I hear about the ZBNF and FYM. What are the dosages’? I try to be organic but have found out that this Hybrid needs lots of fertilizer and foliar. (zinc, calcium, boro, magnesium and other micro elements). My plants need macro nutrients NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium). I want to be organic but it is so hard. I’m digging holes the 3 m square x 2m deep to place all my organic waste so that I can harvest some organic fertilizer in a year o 6 months from now (I have no clue as to how much I should use when I harvest this natural fertilizer) but meanwhile I am force to use synthetic fertilizer for macro and micro nutrients.
I’m curious as to how much cow dung and cowpee you use in per plant. How many kilos, grams or ml do you use per plant? How have been your results until now?
How do you manage mites, white fly, and fungi and viruses?
Best regards.
J. Miguel Guerrero

p.s.,
this is a picture of my parcel from google earth.

Hello Guerrero,

ZBNF(zero budget natural farming - Official Site) :: palekarzerobudgetspiritualfarming.org
Action Report :: atimysore.gov.in/PDF/action_research1.pdf

I am newbie to farming !! i see most of below natural foiler sprays are local to India. I don’t now how it can be carried out in your country. You can ask experts in this forum under "Natural farming " Section.

Jeevamrutha( Microorganism culture,Usage - BiWeekly) – as a growth promoter or catalyst
Neemastra(Usage - Monthly as preventive scary) - For white fly
Agniastra(Not yet used) - For Mites
Sour Buttermilk(Not yet used) - Fungus

I don’t think Virus can be controlled in this method. Only we have to detect early and burn the infected plant.
Cowpea(Vigna unguiculata) is a legume and i used as intercrop between papaya rows for Nitrogen fixation. I did not planted them in particular ratio with papaya plants.

Also in our location( Of Area 10 Sq miles ), i am the first one to start Papaya Cultivation. So, i am not sure about whether above insecticides are preventing pest growth in my farm.

Hi Pavan,
How is your papaya plantation? Hope your papaya plants will be doing good. I am also planning papaya plantation.Right now I have sown Sunhemp and diancha plants for crushing them back into soil.
Please share your experience

Regards
Krishna

I did not managed my papaya farm properly due to my hectic office work.
Now my papaya plantation is in fruit setting stage.
Below are the mistakes made by me

1. used flood irrigation due to which
    Uneven growth among the plants
    Some plants died with rootknot diseases. Due to uneven trench’s, there was water
    logging problem.
    There is a electricity supply issue in our area due to which I could not irrigate on right times.
    ( In case if you go with ZBNF method, below will be relevant…)
  2. I did not muclhed plants properly… So jeevamrutham was not 100% effective.
  3. I have seen micro nutrient’s deficiency issue as 1/3rd fruits are in irregular shape…
    So, started using fish amino acids and panchagavya.
    I will update pics in aweek.

Hi Pavan,
Thanks for sharing your experience . Really appreciate for posting your mistakes . I am planning to go with rain gun model irrigation . For mulching I prefer to go with live mulching like groundnut along with Drumsticks to provide shade. Right now I procured PKM-1 variety (not from Universities) from some seed seller.

Regards
Krishna

Did you prepare your own Fish Amino Acid? or did you buy it ? if you buy what is the rate and let me know contacts.

We have prepared it , did not buyed it as it was quiet easy to prepare Sir.

Hi Krishna,

I have planted cowpea as live mulch b/w the rows , but seed rate was very low which was not enough to provide proper mulching and this crop duration is only 3 months, recently I have harvested them.

It has been a couple of months , I have planted Drumstick( Pkm 1) among papaya plants.They are doing good now.

AFAIK, live mulching helps in nitrogen fixation and phosphorous availability, but we need dry mulch for earthworms and microorganisms growth.

Why don’t you make a one pager wiki article(separate section on Farmnest) with pictures on Fish Amino Acid. Community will bless you.

Sorry for the late replay sir !!
I have just followed below links. I am off-farm farmer( beginner). I will create wiki once I get the pics of the preparation.

1. fish amino acid
    english.krishipadam.com/fish … ertilizer/

2)EM1 Sol ( U have suggested to use em1 Sol in one of my thread)
theunconventionalfarmer.com/reci … lus-serum/