Need suggestion on new coconut farm

Hi All

I am new to this forum. I need your suggestion and advice on coconut farm which I am going to start within 3 to 4 months. I thought of buying 3 to 4 acre coconut farm (already grown and searching within 7-8 lakhs for 3-4 acre within south and north kannada - Karnataka) and also want grow banana & some other crops.

Please clarify is this amount of land is sufficient for living me. I am thirty years old now. I really passionate and to start full time farming work.

I am in a dilemma that will i get success if I do really hard work. Please suggest me as much as possible to enter this new world.

Thanks

Hi Farm enthusiast !
Dont worry. If at all you are interested in farming do carry on with that idea. definitely you can lead your life successfully. But the thing is that better you purchase fertile land with assured irrigation water. Then you can grow not only coconut and banana but any other crop which you are interested in can be grown. If you want to grow coconut either you choose tiptur tall variety or hybrid variety of Tall * dwarf hybrid coconut , plant it at 25 ft spacing on either side, raise intercrop like high yielding hybrid vegetables till the coconut reach bearing stage in 4-5 year period. Even after that you can successfully grow either banana or cocoa or arecanut as intercrop in coconut grove.If climate favors you can cultivate multiple cropping along with integrated farming systems like dairy, poultry, fisheries and the like.Side by side you can produce organic manure like vermicompost using cow dung from diary. So many options are available. you can use every bit of land effectively and efficiently with millions of rupees income.It is upto you to decide. If you are ready to work hard then this world is yours. But in the name of farming if you try novel idea in agriculture then same agriculture will put you on the top of barren hillock with a kerchief on hand to wash your tearful eyes. So be careful and follow best available agriculture ideas and possibly follow high value hi-tech crop cultivation.

Regards,
Ramu

Coconut is best suited for inter crops. I am from AP and cocoa is giving good returns. You can also try other crops like banana,lemon depending on local conditions there.

Have cattle on farm and produce your own manure which will reduce dependence on chemical fertilizers.

But agriculture is the most dedicated job on earth.Before you venture into this the first qualification you should have to be successful is you should love what you do and you should be ready to work hard.

ALL THE BEST.

I would suggest going with short term, mid-term/annual (orchard trees) and long term portfolio…
Include cattle/goat sheep so that you can get manure as well as can be sold periodically to get additional income…
Install drip - it will not only save water but will reduce your labor requirement also…

If you are dedicating your self to this project, then you stand a greater chance of success since no other person or labor will have the same commitment as you will. However, definitely plan a side income from a family member (for the initial years at least when income could be minimal)

You can check out my blog at saverafarms@gmail.com

[quote=Farm_Enthusiast]
Hi All

I am new to this forum. I need your suggestion and advice on coconut farm which I am going to start within 3 to 4 months. I thought of buying 3 to 4 acre coconut farm (already grown and searching within 7-8 lakhs for 3-4 acre within south and north kannada - Karnataka) and also want grow banana & some other crops.

Please clarify is this amount of land is sufficient for living me. I am thirty years old now. I really passionate and to start full time farming work.

I am in a dilemma that will i get success if I do really hard work. Please suggest me as much as possible to enter this new world.

Thanks
[/quote] pl ensure moral and financial support from the loved ones. Thier involvement and whole hearted support would go a long way in your new venture. Please develop a plan of action for discusssion with expereinced farmers and departmental officials.discuss thoroughly and convince yourself that you are on the right track and go ahead. Agriculture is not a venture to discard midway. it is for genrations to carryon. find out whether your next generation would continue with the profession. If yes-proceed. If no please think of some other venture which could be carried on or disposed off without any moneytory loss