Need advice for fruit tree plantation in my farm

Hi Experts,

I am from karur (Uppidamangalam area). I have around 10 acres of red sandy loam soil with good water facility. I am planing to go for fruit tree plantations in my farm.

I need advice from the experts in this forum to decide on selecting the fruit tree plantations which best suits for the soil type and climatic conditions to get the best yield. Also please suggest the market demand for the same in next 5 to 10 years approx.

I am having the below listed tree plantation options

1. Coconut
  2. Mango
  3. Guava
  4. Amla
  5. Jamun

accuweather.com/en/in/uppida … er/2808498

Thanks in advance,
Magesh

Dear Sri Magesh, Your area is near udumulpet, dindigal, etc and is suitable, for all the fruit plants you have mentioned. 1. coconut: for early yield go for coconut plants of DJ nurseries, like pushkala,sampoorna etc, costly , but got reasonably good market, for both water and copra, or go for tiptur tall or east coast tall etc, cheap and late yield but fair market. 2,Mango: near udumulpet, M/s Jain drip company planted mango in high density and doing well. Mango is having good market demand, provided good variety/quality fruits are produced. 3.Guava: Luknow49, allahabad safeda and Vnr Bihi variety do well. 4 & 5.Amla and Jamun also do well in your area and have fair market.

If you spend good time in your land, give good mannuring and good attention to plants, all the above fruit varieties gives good yield and hope, have good market value for coming years also.

hope the best, g.p.rao, farmer

Unless you have enough labour, don’t go for Amla & Jamun as they need more hands to harvest.

Thanks Rao and padmanabhan for your valuable time.

I have surfed through for UHDP mango plantation by jains and came to know about their project “Project Unnati” (a joint program by jains and cococola).

Can you please provide me some more details about this project Unnati and how they are enrolling farmers for their joint venture. It would be great, if we get the details to decide on whether its really good move.

To add-on, am working in chennai (absentee farmer) and now my father is looking into the fields for now.

Hai
In near future there is a tremendous market for citrus family.
Advantage :
Require less irrigation well adated to climatic condition. Plse add this to above FRUITS.
Thank you
Biofarms

@biofarms ,

Thanks for your inputs. Can you please suggest which citrus variety will best suit to our climate, labour requirement, etc…

Other than lemon, no other citrus is grown in our area

@g.p.rao sir,
Can you please suggest which variety of mango fetches good market rate pls. I am thinking of to go with either Alphonso or banganapalli. Please provide if you have any different thoughts as well.

Also, I am planning to go for 15 x 15 spacing.

Thanks again,
Magesh

Dear Sri Magesh,
Both are good varieties and having good market value,provided quality of the fruits in size and other parameters are good.
Both fruits are having equal exportability.

Comparatively, Alphanso is better but, it is having sponge flush problem. It is natural for Alphanso variety.
With best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer.

Thanks Sir for your update.

Thanks
Magesh

Dear Sri Magesh,

forgotten to explain about mango spacing of 15 ft x 15 ft. It is good spacing, provided you should monitor it regularly. It is high density plantation ( not UHD ,of course ). Regularly you have to prune the plants initially and as and when required, you have to be little more careful about diseases and insects and also shape of the plants.

If you are a regular farmer ,you can go for this spacing comfortably.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Dear Sir,

We would be helping with you in supplying good quality of fruit plants from Andhra, please reach out to me if you have any requirements.

Thanks,
Raju

Dear Mr. @g.p.rao sir,

Thanks for the info. I have few more questions which need your valuable time. :slight_smile:

To brief about me, i am a weekend/remote farmer and my father is currently looking after our farm. We are a traditional agricultural family. We are planning for horticulture in 10 acres of our land. We have a good water source.

In the 10 acres, i am planning for the below split up of plantations.

1. coconut - 2.5 acres - its in 3-7 years age. No hybrid variety (25x25 spacing).

2. Guava - 2 acres - 1 acre already planted (3 months old. Lucknow 49 variety. 15x15 spacing). Remaining 1 acre - Land preparation in progress. shall i go for any other variety? Taiwan guava? Need your suggestion.

3. Mango 3 acres - Currently planning for Banganapalli (2 acres) + Alphonso (1 acre). I am thinking of replacing Alphonso with Totapuri/Sendura since some of my friends are suggesting that we cant get high quality Alphonso fruits in our area to match the market expectation.
    Need your suggestion.

4. Jamun - 1 acre. Variety not yet decided. Need your suggestion.

5. Remaining 1.5 acre - Planning for Casurina. Planning for 4.5x4 feet spacing with a buy back agreement from TNPL, karur.

Thanks
Magesh.