Natural organic weedicide

Respects, you have exemplary Agony Aunt.

Location, crop, pictures, what worked, what did not, learnings?

I am new to this forum. I was happy to come across this thread about weedicide. I did try to follow to the last T as described, but it did not work for the kind of weeds in my farm. I guess from what this mix will do is lime + salt gets converted to calcium chloride which is a contact/burndown weedicide used in other parts of the world for a long time. I think this may work with broadleaf weeds not for grasses. The acidity created by this mix is not enough in my case to kill any weeds. Also, repeated application of salt can damage the soil health.

My curiosity is what is the use of calotropis leaves? Is it for nutrition or function as weedicide?

One other thing that people have tried 10%-15% citric acid or acetic acid (Vinegar used in kitchen is 5% acetic acid) which is an organic acid that can work on the weeds much better and its easy to prepare as well. You should also add some surfactant to make it sticky on the plant so that leaves can absorb the acid to make it act better. Since its acid use caution in preparing it.

Thanks.

1 Like

Dear Ramu
Thanks for this weedicide recipe. Using 10litres of cow urine how much of this weedicide will be made? Them it has to be diluted with water in the ratio of 1:9. So how much area can it cover?

Also what do you think of a weedice made with 10%acetic acid, neem oil, baking soda, with a cake of soap mixed in water?
Thanks