Multi Crop - Advice needed

Dear All,

What kind of multi crop can be done along with coconut trees?One of our clients has asked us this and I thought I would seek forum’s advice.

Hope to get assisted.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar
CEO
Greencurrent Solar Energy Systems

Dear Saravana,

Cocoa and pineapple should coexist well along with coconut and give decent returns. However, they should evaluate suitability to region and their set up.

Ask them to look in to crops that grow well under partial sunlight.

Jai Hind
Raj

Dear Raj,

Many thanks for the reply.

Few of my friends as well suggested cocoa in addition to banana,nutmeg & turmeric.Also, one even speculated that few choclotae manufacturer’s do invest and buy back cocoa, unsure how far is this happening though.

Also, what would be the water requirement for cocoa?

Regards,

Saravana Kumar
CEO

Dear Saravana,

You are welcome. I think cocoa’s returns might exceed the returns from coconut. Cadbury India Ltd. might have buy back agreements and related financing, check with them. I am not sure about the water requirement, here are couple of resources that might be useful

1. dccd.gov.in/cocoa.htm
  2. Though this video below is in Telugu, it will still be useful. He is growing cocoa along with coconut, hence very pertinent to what you are looking for.
    youtube.com/watch?v=xnatMNXd … 0&index=40

Jai Hind
Raj

Hi,
one of my friend from kerala is suggesting as below . Please note, context is kerala’s hilly region .

Nutmeg : It needs water source, heavy sunlight should not directly fall on it .
Banana is not advisable . Cocoa is suggested, irrigation not needed .

Please check any cadbury india factory/processing unit nearby . My friends is in idukki district and he says one cadubury processing unit is there, they just go to all farms nearby and collect it on spot and do the settlement .

Coffee plantation can also be done .

Hope it helps .
Thanks & regards,
Prashant

@ Raj - Thank you for sharing those links and the information. It was much needed.

@ Prashant - Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Have asked my client to approach any cadbury processing center nearby to understand about their procurement policies.

Just curious to know does cocoa not require irrigation at all?I mean is it dry plantation? And also how about shading and light requirement? would it not affect cocoa?

Regards,

Saravana Kumar
CEO

Hi Saravana,
my friends place in kerala where they will have heavy rainfall, so he says ideally irrigation not needed for cocoa .
May be you need to check local conditions and decide on irrigation .

Regards,
Prashant

Now it makes lots of sense to me Prashant.Thank you for the advice, will ask my client to do the same.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Dear Saravana,

This is for you my friend, enjoy reading.

Jai Hind
Raj
A guide to intercropping coconuts.pdf (382 KB)

Dear Raj,

Thank you so much for the guide.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

[quote=saravanakumargcses]

What kind of multi crop can be done along with coconut trees?One of our clients has asked us this and I thought I would seek forum’s advice. [/quote]

Please search for a discussion on this forum (started by me) on Palekar’s crop patterns that had a lengthy discussion on Coconut inter-cropping.

Here’s the link: Video Testimonial: Rs. 6 Lakh per Acre from Natural Farming

Hi Sadhu,

There are many crops which can be cultivated in coconut as inter crop depending upon the age, water availability and other factors.

1. Cocoa ( we have it in our farm, our 4yr old plantation is yielding 2-3 quintals per acre, 4-5 quintals can be achieved too from 7-8 yr old plantations and current market rate is 12,500 per quintal)

2.Banana
3.Turmeric,Ginger
4.Fodder for cattle

Also consult near by KVK

Thanks,

Aman Kumar
[url deleted]

Mod note: Link builder at work, copied post from here, inviting a ban: farmnest.com/forum/agricultural- … /#msg10380

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting to know that you have cocoa multi cropped.

May I ask you what are the factors you considered for cocoa?

Regards,

Saravana Kumar