Milking Solution for Dairy of 500 Cattle

Hello,

I am planning a dairy of 500 cattle (300 cows and 200 buffaloes) in Jaipur, Rajasthan.

My sheds are under construction and I am confused about the Milking solution for my dairy.

I have been suggested Portable Milking Machines, Manual Milking Parlour and Automated Milking Parlour.

All have their own pros and cons.

Request the experts to suggest the best method.

Aalekh

contact delaval company. they can guide u…

[quote=aalekh]
Hello,

I am planning a dairy of 500 cattle (300 cows and 200 buffaloes) in Jaipur, Rajasthan.

My sheds are under construction and I am confused about the Milking solution for my dairy.

I have been suggested Portable Milking Machines, Manual Milking Parlour and Automated Milking Parlour.

All have their own pros and cons.

Request the experts to suggest the best method.

Aalekh
[/quote] Hi? If you are all ready started construction of dairy shed without planning milking system, than you are in wrong situation/your consultant/contractor may not advised you properly/professionally.

You should select and design milking parlor in such a way that can address all services of milking,cleaning and storing in a place where from easily transport without any disturbances of other activities in dairy.

Bye the chance have you planted the fodder yet or not? 500 numbers of animals are big size hence professional way approach to setting up of dairy may become fruitful failing which may turning point to your life please note.

Yes. I have planted the fodder. I would also be buying surplus fodder initially.

I have been approached by all the companies dealing in milking equipment.

I can not make up my mind on the choice between automated and manual milking parlor.

Difference in cost is exactly double.

Please provide feedback.

Hi,

Manual milking parlour will have labour problem unless your whole family pitch in for milking.

maintaining 500 nos is challenging unless you have man/financials/vet/water/electricity etc… in control.

more imp is marketing of your milk and any plan on other bi - products.

regards
Rajesh

[quote=aalekh]
Yes. I have planted the fodder. I would also be buying surplus fodder initially.

I have been approached by all the companies dealing in milking equipment.

I can not make up my mind on the choice between automated and manual milking parlor.

Difference in cost is exactly double.

Please provide feedback.
[/quote] Worth investing on automated machinery instead of depending on un predictable labours.
Purchasing Fodder? No. You can postpone purchasing of animals instead of purchasing fodder.
How many varieties of fodder crops planted now?

Dear Mr.Aalekh,

When developing a farm, depending upon the herd size, go for ordinary milking systems, preferably with pneumatic pulsation, pressing 2 teats at a time and not all the 4 at a time as you see in low cost poor quality machines. When the herd size increases to 300 milking cows, you can think of a parlour. Here again please study which type will be better. Normally for very large herds - midiline or swing type, Herringbone type milking systems or parallell systems are seen. Parlour must be designed with milk measuring devices and automatic cluster removal systems and udder washing systems prior to milking and teat spraying systems after milking. For milking parlours, you need trained manpower (milker’s) plus operators to look after the machines. You need acid and alkaline detergents to clean the clusters and SS pipelines using a cleaning sponge. Mail me for more details. Please decide on the number of milking units depending on the herd size and how soon you want to finish milking each time.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Points to note:-

Drainage systems, Cow traffic, Waiting yard, Smooth entry and exit from Parlour
Passage to the entry from the dairy shed and exit from Parlour back to the dairy housing area should be planned well before the placement of the Milking Parlour. In places where automatic cow id is used, milk measurement will be directly recorded in the main PC monitoring milking, cow movement records, feeding etc. All reports will be available with the press of a button making the job easy for the farm manager. Go for European standards Machinery i mean and not the name of the company. Find out from where Machinery is coming from and where is the factory located? Service and spares play a crucial role. Experience parlour system before going for automation. Have a system where upgradation to automated systems possible at a later stage. Plan the implementation. Recommending you to have your own fodder avoiding dependability on others, who might jack up the supply price once they know that you are depended on them. You can’t say no to them as you cannot make replacement soon.

Murali

Thank you for your feedback.

By Manual Milking Parlor what I meant was a Herringbone Milking Parlor without Milk Meters, Automatic Cluster Removal & Software Automation.

For Buffaloes I have been suggested stationary milking machines which is not very convincing for me. I was planning on having 2 seperate Herringbone Manual Milking Parlor for Cows & Buffaloes.

Request your feedback.

Dear Aalekh,

You can think of using bucket machines in parlour type milking set up. Cows standing in a platform and milker in a pit so that the udder will be in his head height, better visibility to the milker. In the beginning stage, Bucklour will do. (Bucket machine in parlour type stalling) . No need of ACR and automation. Its the type of stalling needed for cows and buffaloes. In the milk let down procedure there will be some difference in cows and buffaloes. Cows will start letting down when the udder is washed, wiped and attach the cluster of the machine or start hand milking. In case of buffaloes, pre milking procedure is there. After cleaning the udder, buffaloes need gentle stimulation by our hand to start let down.

Only thing is cows and buffaloes need milking training before they are exposed to parlour milking and this can be with bucket machines. For 500 cattle, a ten can machine can do the job initially. Parlour milking - Maintenance and cleaning will be time and money consuming. It has advantages only if ACR and milk measurement is there. Without these two, Parlour not recommended.

Murali Krishnan