Maize Cultivation - my experience

Finally i did it!!! We sowed corn hybrid yesterday in my new farm :smiley:.Fencing work is going on…People who have already expericanced can throughsome light which it may help me a lot…THnaks in advance…

We have dairy farm and grow maize regularly for cows.
What spacing and hybrid you adopted?
What base fertilizer?

Nikhil

HI Nikil

We have taken seeds from a a company called GANGA KAVERI - King.Regardign spacing we used seed machine with for sowing the seeds and Fertilizers at the same time. WE used 20-20 fertilizer. WE used 10 kg seeds per acre and 70+ kg fertizer per acre as this is our first go.

Hello

Maize to give good yield needs right nutrients at right time.
According to me, following is one way

1. DAP 50kg + MOP 50 kg basal dose.
  2. Urea 50 kg at 25 days.
  3. Urea 50 kg at 45 days. Another 50 kg MOP helps at this stage.
    Make sure to water after urea application.

These are conservative fertlizer application, abroad they put double the quantity to get yields like 4-5 tons per acre. With above you can at least get 3 tons depending on variety. I would suggest to go for Pioneer seeds, seed germinatonis almost 100 % and they have very strong hybrids.
You also need at least 7-8 tons cow manure or similar organic manure. This will balance the chemical fertilizers.

Weeding is extremely important. Do it 2 times till the whole field is covered by the maize plant and no ground is visible, this is called canopy stage.

And does the seed sowing machine work? any pics and company you purchased from? Is it tractor operated or bullock driven?
See attached file, its for silage for cows, but can be adapted for maize grains as well.

Good luck.
Nikhil
GrowingMaizeforsilage.pdf (907 KB)

hey Pavan!
hehe… i am so happy that you “FINALLY” did what you had planned for.

when someone uses the word “FINALLY” and expresses like you did, it clearly shows the enthusiasm related to it.

can you please share some details-

• total area of sowing
  • how many days/time it took to prepare the land/sow the seeds etc
  • certain measures you took (wet/dry the land, ploughing etc)
  • expected life of crop (when will the harvest be ready)
  • seed cost
  • fertilizer/nutrients cost
  • labor cost involved (sowing/harvesting/packing etc)
  • expected production and rate.

most of the questions are for when the crop is harvested. but just asking for some figures to get an idea.
best of luck and keep us updated.
Also plz post pictures if possible, will be very helpful.

Vivek

Thanks fro your suggestions narayana. We are doing this under rain fed conditions. Becuase we need to go for borewell setup. THis we will take care in next coupls of months.

And does the seed sowing machine work? any pics and company you purchased from? Is it tractor operated or bullock driven?
Yes this works.Its tractor operated.Which have total 18 pipes 9 for seeds and 9 for fertilizors.I dont have any phtos with me now.Will get them once i go to my hometown next week. As we have alreyd doing with seeding this time i cant use the Pioneer seeds will try next time.

Thanks for all your good wishes Vivek, :smiley:.

Yes i am very happy man now. It was dream of years .

can you please share some details-

• total area of sowing- how many days/time it took to prepare the land/sow the seeds etc
    its total of 9 acres more or less. We got it fenced whioch almost took 4-5 days for that .We went nest type fencing. AS there is tret of pigs in the feilds.

• certain measures you took (wet/dry the land, ploughing etc)
    we sowed when the land was little wet inside after plouging. Waiting for few more rains now aso that we will have 100% germinatonis :slight_smile:/Lucky its cyclone near my place so we expecting some rains in next 2 days

• expected life of crop (when will the harvest be ready)
    120-140 days.I took suggestions of our realtives who are alredy doing agriculture as this is first time for me and my dad was nto doing it from almost 20 yrs.From next time i will take suggestions from dad and will go accrodignly.

• seed cost
    We used the seeding machine that too first time again so we used 8-10 kg seed per acre which costed 700+ per bag which one bag has 4kg seed.

• fertilizer/nutrients cost
    We used 20-20 70+ kg per acre as of now.

• labor cost involved (sowing/harvesting/packing etc)
    Will post u later.All depends upon ganga devi and boomatha now.

• expected production and rate.
    Post once i get in hand.

most of the questions are for when the crop is harvested. but just asking for some figures to get an idea.
best of luck and keep us updated.
Also plz post pictures if possible, will be very helpful.
Picks for sure i will post next time as i was very busy in toher things dint get chance to take.

really nice man! and thanks for the details.
pig problem? hehe…so sweet… i love pigs :smiley: same species u see :stuck_out_tongue:

Vivek

hehhe…completed fencing entire feild…and now my dad told seeds started germitation WOW!!! will go home this week will pst the pictures :slight_smile:

@pavanchowdary : can you explain “nest type fencing”? i also have a pig menace in my fields. thanks
D

hI

THere are 3 kinds of in this fence 22 eye, 33 eye,44 eye.One roll comes to 100 meters. It weighs diffrent from eye o eye.w went for 33 eye as it is good enough for our purpose. Rate diffres form place to palce.We went for Tata steel mesh of 4 feet height.It coasted aroung 80- afer bargeaining. Ie you need further detils let me know.

With this we are palnning to go for barbed wire at 2.5 feet and 5 feet so that if any animal is trying to rub fence it will hurted and next time it will not dare to do that. ;D

Thank you Sir,
Nest Fencing may not be required for Farm Fencing. Because it is Most Costlier.Instead of that Barbed Wire Fencing of 6 Rows with 6 Feet height with Dimond Shaped Barbing between pole to Pole is more than enough.It will prevent Pigs as well as Humen too.
MANNE.SN,
Vasudha Green Farms,
Hyderabad,

hey pavan,
4 feet tata mesh is Rs 80 what? kg? running feet?

fencing is a must, not only to control animals, but human trespassing also.

and barbed wire at 2.5 feet and 5 feet? i dont get that :-[

Vivek

Thank you Sir,

If ONE want to go for Barbed wire Fencing need to install 7 FEET Length Stone Poles or CC poles which costs Rs.160-170/per Pole. It has to be installed at 10 FEET each.It is better to Install at 8 Feet each. After laying the Pole in ground the Pole will be at 6 above the Ground . for every 9th stone and at Corners TWO supporting stones need to be Laid .Then need to tie Barbed wire at a Distance of 9-10 Inches and can have 6 Rows. Then TWO wires have to be Tagged on Diamond Shape between Pole to Pole.The TATA Barbed wire Cost will be Rs.70 to 80 per KG. Per KG (12X14 Gauge) can get a length of 8-9 Mtrs. Digging, Laying of Stone Poles, Tying of Wire of 6 Rows with Daimond the Labour will Charge at Rs.70 to 90 Per Pole including the Support Stones will also be Counted. The Labour Charges and the Cost of the Stone vary depending on the season.

Based on the above data ONE can calculate the Cost of the Fencing taking circumference the Land to be Fenced. If any body needs we will provide the Contact number of the expert Contractor. in this Field. we are attaching a Rough design of the Barbed wire Fencing.

MANNE.SN,
Vasudha Green Farms,

Hi Vivek,

80rs per KG. One roll for us was around 58-70 kg based on it we need paythem.
My sotne is 8 FEET SO DIGGED 2 FEET AND 6 FEET STONE.My mesh is 4 feet from ground level so there are some deers,muse and goats threat tht they may jumnp form out sie or else people pay puck put stems or cattle may eat if plant grows little higher. So to cut them we are palnning to to go for one line of Barbed att 5 feet so ther animals or human ts tought to cross that if they try thy will be hurted. Some time pings, goats or sheeps may cme to mesh and rub againtst mesh whoch cause in damage of stnes nad fel down so to avpid this we will have a line of wire at 2-2.5 feet ehight from ground sop when they try to rub they ill hurted and will not dare to do agian .hope this clarifies.

yeah… all clear now… thanks for the details.
do post pictures of each progress plz.

Vivek

sure Vivek.

Going home tomrw we try to post ics as much as i can

Hi ViVEK
Here are some of my feild phots with germnation of miaze. :smiley:. Its 10 dasy after we done with seeding .Its almost 90% germitation. hope rest 10 % will cme out.