Looking for farming guidance in Hyderabad

@padmanabhan_ganesan Thank you Sir for the great information. It is very helpful for me to decide.

I learned that it is not easy to maintain fruit farm remotely. Looks like it requires lot of work.

I would explore your suggestion to plant bamboo and look at Moringa.

One thing which is not clear is design. What design would you recommend ?

A post was split to a new topic: Providing Horticulturist Consultant Services

Unless you are in the farm often, it is best to go for long term crops like fruit plants, timber trees etc.

Moringa and similar nitrogen fixers like Gliricidia etc are required in the beginning stages of the farm to create a micro climate for the saplings to grow well. In the long run, you need to keep the nitrogen fixers to a minimum level once the core trees have grown well.

Moringa starts producing within a year and this can be used for the base finances of the farm.

There are several design available especially for the long term trees.

1. 20 ft every row x 15 ft every tree
  2. ZBNF model for long term crops. You can buy ZBNF books and read it. This will give better information for you.

Whichever design you follow, it is okay.

1 Like

@padmanabhan_ganesan Thank You.

I see some of the farmers in my area are planting Mahogany. what is your opinion on Mahogany ?

Do you think contract farming is a good idea ? I am checking with chaturveda.net to see how they can help the farmers to plant Mahogany.

better go for a bamboo plantation.
you will be free for almost a generation.

srinivasa reddy garu I am in sydney now I will be back in 3 months after reaching hyderabad I will contact you . Otherwise please send your wat s app no. thank you

As I said previously, do not depend on one or 2 trees either in fruit farming or timber farming.

Even in Timber Trees, plant for 7 years, 15 years and 25 years etc meaning get staggered income rather than bulk income. Mahogany can be planted by yourselves. Check the website:- https://agritech.tnau.ac.in/forestry/forest_index.html.

Choose timber trees according to your place and soil.

Let me know the pros & cons of going with contract farming with Chaturveda. Then I can reply.

@padmanabhan_ganesan

Here is what i understood from Chaturveda:

1. Provides Mahogany plants - 50K per acre
  2. Replaces the plants for free if they die in the first year
  3. Buy back option with a min price guarantee
  4. Also they take care of planting the trees for additional 15K per acre

I live in US and visit India once a year so was thinking of this option to have less dependency on my parents to buy and plant the trees.

My goal is not making lot of money from the farm but to make the land green and usable so that i can spend time in the farm when i visit India. If I get returns, I can use it for the maintenance.

1. How many Mahogany Plants are they going to provide per acre?
  2. Can you give the minimum price guarantee per acre to understand the cost benefit?
  3. If i understand correctly, you will be spending 50K+15K for just the initial plant procurement and planting. What about maintenance cost per acre/per year? Does the company involved in this process?
  4. How many years you have to wait for the initial or best harvesting?

Even if you go with the company, all the Mahogany Trees will be cut one day and the land will be totally or partially empty in one area of the farm, right.

Instead, you can inter crop Mahogany or any other Timber Trees between fruit trees. This way, you will retain a better green farm and only cut the timber trees.

Normally, I do not suggest monocrop but in your case I suggest you to go for Mango Trees which can be leased after few years and you can visit India during the summer season and supervise the transaction related to your farm.

Its your choice.

1 Like

@padmanabhan_ganesan

Sir, your inputs are very valuable. I am wondering if i can talk to you for 5-10 mts to go over my final plan and seek your feedback.

Srinivas