Dear Farmers and Enthusiast Farmers,
After a very long search me and my friends have selected a farm for long lease. The land is near Gauribidanur, Karnataka and is 14 Acre plot. The whole process took some time to close however once it was done we have been moving swiftly towards getting ready for this to be called as a Horticulture project.
The plan is to convert the land to a Integrated farm so planning includes a lot of pre work for integrated farming. we are looking to setup a farm which is organic , natural and almost as self sufficient as it possibly could be. The Farm will be designed and built to be integrated which produces on the farm what we need at the farm for the purpose of farming. Starting with water ponds constructed for rain water harvesting to leveraging Fishes to enrich the water, we will have cattle and sheep at the farm to leverage Vermicomposting to enrich the soil and also if possible generate and use Biogas. The thoughts are many and in time we will be implementing them all.
The crop mix as of now stands at
- Guava - Allahabad Safeda
- Lime - Balaji
- Mango varieties
- Other perenial tree’s both on the border but also sprinkled in between.
Where we are as of now is – Land readiness
- The unwanted trees and shrubs were cleared from the land .
- The land was tilled using two teeth Deep plough.
- One Run of rotovator
- One Borewell.
Finding a JCB was not the problem though trying to get one to land at your farm and make him understand the work to be done was a challenge. Especially when the operator wanted to do things his own way and the hesitation we had to correct him when we did not like what was being done. The same with the tractor- we had a Mahindra tractor a low powered one rented for a day and it would just not work quick enough so we went and got ourselves a person who had two Sonalika tractors with reversable plough directions. Work moved fast but it costed us exactly double of what I had estimated. Though I do not know how things could slow down because of hard land just on the days when we skipped visiting the farm.
Well with all the work planned … we now have a fully tilled plot with one round rotovator deployed. The bigger chunk soil pods have now been broken into smaller chunks and are on their way to backing in the sun killing all the germs that they held for long.
The land is now tilled – I tried finding a few pics but couldn’t … so that will happen next week.
Next on the plan was to get someone who could help us on to the farm to help validate our ideas. Now that went good for some part until the crop mix was discussed and then the crop mix changed to include Mangoes of different varieties. While we bash our heads together to review and accept the new plant mix we have to move ahead with getting the TC for the borewell and a borewell motor.
We were looking for local construction for an office , a labour room and a store room however it has been a challenge and to overcome the challenge – we went ahead and ordered ourselves two ready to use containers to be deployed under tree shade. One for us to work out off ( yes yes the meetings and other regular day job stuff still plagues us!!) and the other container for farm help living quarters and a small store shed.
Next update in a week or so hopefully .