below is our experience with our first crop as a farmer.
We have planted, soybean in 5 acres and jowar,groundnut in 4 acres in northern maharshtra.
Our region it was very much deficient rain this year (Just 30 to 40% of average rainfall).
We have spent almost 50k and yield was not more than 15k of market value as on today .
Jowar totally destroyed due to weeds , groundnut was worth of 5k .
Things went wrong:
- Weed was not removed on time which took toll.
- Soybean was cut almost 1 week late, due to which almost 50% of soy “beans” were bursted, which was a heartbreak and resulted in 50% reduction of crop.
- No chemical were used as pesticides etc.
- No chemical fertilizers were used.
- Able to the understand ground reality of wages, how to deal with peoples etc.
- Peoples around recognize as serious farmer, stop demoralizing and tend not to cheat.
Working out a plan for medicinal plants (Thorny plants which animals do not eat, need less water) in 5 acres.
Planning a 50503 feets dimension water tank to store water [ JCB work of 6 to 8 hrs, spread some sand+cement mixture at base to prevent water leakage and reduce cost. Ideal plan is create water tank just like saverafarms] .
Checking feasibility of driptech.com irrigation .
Due to deficient rain irrigation department is not giving permission of retrieving Dam water from river bed.
Since no water permission EB department not giving electricity connection .
So once above mentioned water tank is ready get water by hook or crook and try to irrigate medicinal plant for 6 months (Average returns of 15 to 20k / acre in 6 months).
I will keep you all updated further progress.