Jamun - high density planting and cultivation practices

Hello @Chandra @B.Linga_Reddy garu…please share the phone number of the nursery in Khamam district.

Hello I am Jayashri from Maharashtra I cultivate Bhardoli kokan variety in high density planting distance is 14 feet By 7 feet . Now these are 2 months plant please let me known the pruning of these plants I plant 730 plants on my farm so please suggest about pruning my number is 9637841068

Hello sir please share pics and tell me distance between two crop

Hi, High density cultivation of Jamun trees yields less or no yield. In our village in Chikkaballapur , 10 ft x 10 ft spacing didn’t yield and when one tree in between was removed the flowering was good and also the setting.

In my farm distance is 14ft by 7 ft please let me know what can I do about this …I am very confused … Please give me contact number of farmer those w who are cultivate plant 10ftx10ft they can did pruning of plant or not…

Just prune the lower branches and make sure you spray GA3 60 ppm, one at full bloom and another 15 days after initial setting of fruits.

http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/horticulture/horti_fruits_jamun.html#7

Hello, I started planting jamun trees on October 2013, now it is September 2021 and it turned to be a jamun forest. I am going through lot of pleasant experiences, I planted on the spacing 6 meters x 6 meters and all trees produce abundant fruit.

1 Like

Did you prune the trees? Some pictures will be nice.

hello Chandra,

Within first 30 months after planted I pruned the “big dress”, the most lower branches that form a big dress around the tree and drag the tree down.

My mother-in-law without my permission allowed some friends of hers to prune about 15 trees, like the mid section branches, they didn`t know what they were doing, I stayed very upset but this “wrong mid section prune” just made these trees grow taller. The trees were 05 to 06 years old.

I dont know how many trees I have if about 600 or 1000, so 15 trees among 600 didn`t impact much.

Starting with 05 years we started removing the dry branches, after a production, the next winter the jamun tree will naturally have some dry branches that will break easily just by pulling with the hand;

02 weeks ago, about to complete 08 years after planting the first seedlings, I made another prune: “An intuitive prune with the heart to let the forest more airy, so air and sunlight can penetrate better in the forest, also removing cross branches and branches touching the floor”.

I just created this profile on Instagram and I will add more videos and photos there.

Thank you very much

1 Like

Hello sir
HDP in Jamun is not advisable
We at University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK, Bangalore had conducted a study on every fruit crop viz mango, sweet lime, guava, Sapota, Jamun, etc to study their performance under high density planting (HDP).
Extensive study of 8 years have showed that only crops like mango, guava, papaya, ber perform well under HDP.
For more info call 9986877113

1 Like

Interesting.

I understand High Density may mean different spacing in fruit crops.

Can you provide additional information on what spacing you considered as High Density and what you determined as ideal for Jamun? Thanks.

1 Like

I can’t verify this information.

I started planting jamun trees on year 2013, today thanks God around 1500 trees, last crop they produced tremendously and still producing now.

Which concludes that jamun produces great in high density (my spacing here is 6 m x 6 m).

Sometimes, the jamun tree, one year will produce more or less than the other.

1 Like

It’s 2023 now, is it successful or not ?

Yes! Very successful! I have planted over 1500 jamun trees in a spacing of 6 meters x 6 meters, and in Brazil from November to April these trees give fruits.

Some more than others, sometimes in different weeks.

2 Likes

Very nice. Do brazillians eat Jamun or do you export it somewhere ? It’s not a tasty fruit, are they aware of it’s health benefits ?

Thank you! Brazilians dont have as a culture signature the habit to eat jamuns. Many Brazilians don’t even know the existence or never ate. Many Brazilians had contact with jamun fruit only in their “grandmas house growing up”.

Some Portuguese took jamun seeds to Brazil and there the birds made the job to spread along the coast of Brazil. Yet jamun is a fruit highly neglected by Brazilians.

Most, or 99% of Brazilians don’t know about the innumerous and great health benefits of jamun.

In Brazil, there is still no export industry of jamun.

When I started planting on year 2013 everybody in Brazil called me crazy, that I would feed the birds and bats. Yes, today they still call me crazy, and today I still only feed birds and bats. Yet I have interest to crop commercially, the fruits and the essential oil of the leaves and seeds.

Thank you very much

1 Like