Jamun - high density planting and cultivation practices

Wonderful that birds visit Konrad’s trees and help to diversify it further with guava trees, Konrad notices this, shares the news with us, and we are at peace.

Dear Mr. Chandra
Hope your Jamun plants have started yielding by now. Can you share your latest updates on this. We are evaluating Bahodoli Jamun in HD format. Your inputs will certainly help us.

Hi All

I am from Madanapallee Andhra and I planted jamun trees last year in july around 175 trees .

I am looking to plant more of konkan bahadoli variety . Can Chandra , konrad or anyone in this group provide me reliable contact to buy the plants

Konrad : You are doing a superb job … Your trees stem is strong but mine is yet small and growing tall . Not sure if there is anything wrong in my plants not growing to what I expected in 1 year . When I bought they were very small plants and 6 month old plants

Hello Friends,

Happy Diwali.

I am sorry I have been missing here for sometime… though I have grear news:

Some of the first Jamun trees I planted on October 2013 (02 years ago) are already producing its first flowers… therefore I will have sone fruits still this year. I am really very happy and feeling blessed.

I am very optmistic that next year 2016 more trees will produce fruits and in larger quantity. Remembering I planted on 06 m x 06 m spacing. And fron end March up to October is our dry season here in Laranja da Terra, Brazil. During first year I had some irrigation, but no more.

Thank you Friends, and I wanted to share to motivate all of us Jamun producers. Big hug.

Dear Sir, I have purchased some Bahadoli jamun plants and planted in my land 2 months back. Plants are growing well and shoots are coming vigorously. They are bought from one Nursery, called Teja Nursery, Rani circle, Devanahalli, bengaluru, (28 kms from city ) and his name is Sri Ramesh. He directly brings these plants from Maharashtra state.

for your information only. best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Thank you so much .

could you provide a contact number of that person please so I could enquire and then go to his place to make the purchase

If the plantlets that you have planted are grafts, you may have options to manage the crop to yield optimum quantity of fruits. Canopy management would certainly enhance scope for abundant fruit bearing. If you have planted seedlings instead, manage the canopy from the early stages itself by pruning branches and minimising the spread may be of some help. In the long run it may fetch you wood value. Any way some one has to experiment and you have taken it up in right spirit. Good luck

hello Friends,

Report 04.27.17:

• On October 2013 I planted first saplings, aprox 200;
  • On April 2017 I am planting more aprox 400 saplings;
  • up to today I planted over 1000 saplings; considering the 400 new planted saplings I may have aprox total 800 trees/saplings.
  • the main cause of death of so many plants were leaf-cutting ants; at some stage of the crop it was really a very serious problem. Even controlling 02 or 03 days a week there would be always new leaf-cutting ants. So that is the first guidance: leaf-cutting ants are the biggest enemy for a new jamun crop.
  • drought influenced but did not kill any plant;
  • the saplings/plants that had more irrigation are the ones today taller and stronger; irrigating/access to water or not causes an extreme impact in the development of the jamun trees, thou not necessary for its maintenance. More water, faster and stronger it grows.
  • dozens of trees were victim of wild fire; thou most of those trees even catching fire they endured and turned back green again.
  • on December 2015 I had the first fruits from the October 2013 trees. Now on December 2016 up to April 2017 I am having second crop of fruits from these first year-2013 trees. Fruits are still small and production is very fast, few weeks per tree.
  • lot of bees visited my crop;
  • now on February - March 2017, in the abundance of fruits, appeared several several wasps, which turned even troublesome to collect fruits. Now I have to plan for future years how I will control the wasps in the crop.
  • the bigger the jamun tree the more soil it holds near its trunk, therefore Jamun proves to be good against erosion. Jamun tree is good to contain the washing of the soil.

Hi Konrad,
Nice update.
Are you cutting back the branches to keep the trees small?

@Konrad
Thanks for sharing real time performance details.
May I ask you to share with us also the average yield potential of your Jamun trees planted in Oct 2013?

Thanks
Guru

hi Chandra,

No I am not trimming to maintain small. Since the beginning I had in mind to do more natural and natural big trees, also for the birds, so I was against trimming.

Today I trim the most lower branches if they become full like a “dress”. I heard from local farmers/friends that if there are too many lower branches like a “dress” the tree growth slows down.

Because of my relationship with the jamun trees I like myself exclusively to trim the lower branches.

The picture below is from February 2017

2 Likes

hello Guru,

The Jan - April 2017 yield of the 2013 planted trees =

It is challenging for me to precise. I believe less than 06 liters per tree average but maybe I am wrong. I live in the U.S. and the jamun trees are planted in the municipality of Laranja da Terra, Brazil; my mother-in-law lives there, I know that dozens of friends ate from the crop, and I know much of the production fell in the ground. My mother-in-law reported the wasps for example, that did not allow to yield more. I visit Brazil every ~ 60 days when I follow up.

That is a very good question, I will try to measure during next production. Thank you very much,

Where can i get good Jamun variety plants near to Vijayawada and what variety of plant to be chosen for making good profits.

I got Bahadoli from a nursery in Khammam district. I guess that should be closer but am sure there should be more nurseries.

1 Like

i need jamun plants…
i Developing form in my native place in Erode,Tamilnadu

Dear Chndra Garu,

I am a School Teacher from Mahabhubnagar  Dist Telangana plz give contact details of Khammam Nursery to get Jamun trees in our land for neary 6 acre.

Thanking u sir
B L Reddy

Hi? heard that their is a nursery (name n address of same) outskirts of Salem towards yercad hill station.

It’s suggested 8mtr spacing between budded plants and seedling plants are but

Hi,
Any good nurseries near Madurai for Jamun ?