Is Organic Farming / Natural Farming practical?

Thank You Mr. BAJPAI Bhayya, in my earlier posting we have requested you, how you can conclude that Vermi Compost Based Organic Farming is harmful for environment and health. Can you Provide any supporting Material for that or any link.Natural Farming means nothing to do any thing in the Farm except Planting the Trees / Plants according to our need and to provide Irrigation.It is possible only at command areas.Kindly provide the details.As far as our knowledge and experience it is not possible to adopt except for Passion / Fashion.

MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green farms, 9133498366 / 7416446789
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com

Strictly avoid Organic , its a misleading word for India , sold by elites.
Organic farming using vermicompost which is not suitable for Indian high ambient temperature , Feoetida worms are European , and being used in India under shade and in controlled temp. then how can they are earth worms ?
They will not survive +30Degree and are not earth worms and will die if left on ground , they eat Dung and waste not soil ?
Free Carbon which is approx 40% in Vermocompost get released in atmosphere at more than 30+ temperature and produce Green house gases , which are responsible for Ozone layer depletion resulted in global warming.
Also vermicompost is consists of heavy metals like Lead Arsenic , cadmium harmful for humans.
avoid Vermicompost use natural way , cow urine based like ZBNF.

I watched more than 300 Youtube success stories of ZBNF , watch Saam TV Youtube, Express tv etc.I too following ZBNF for Pomegranate and Pappya and other Flower plants . watch Hindi full series youtube.com/watch?v=6a8qINE ā€¦ PTb6FjL6O8

Dear Samapda Farms , Itā€™s a personal choice which method any farmer will addapt, we can only discuss Pros & cons of various methods , my feedback is :

Check these Videos by Expert on Harmful effect of " Organic" farming, I too tried for Organic but Luckily dropped the idea , and did extensive research on Vermicompost , conclusion is, not suitable for Indian ambient temperature and not Natural ā€œInsituā€ method.

youtube.com/watch?v=cOXcTqU6ml4 watch after 35 minute
youtube.com/watch?v=ZihEgF-sBvI
Rgds

Bajpai

Thank You Mr. BAJPAI Bhayya, Theoretically and Practically Natural Farming means nothing to do any thing for the Farm.Nature will do it on its way. simply sowing seed / plant a plant and Provide Irrigation and nothing to do. Using Cow Dung and Urine for Providing Jeevamruth,Panchagavya etc are also comes under Organic Farming because we are Providing Organic matter to the Plant.Hence it is nothing but Organic Farming. In my earlier postings I have re-iterated this matter. Kindly think it off whether Natural Farming is Practicable without weeding , without Ploughing in the Present circumstances. In earlier days abundant land is there with lesser population and Farming is only catering the Needs of the Farmer and his neighbors. But the Land extent is limited and Population is increasing multi-fold. Unlike earlier the present Farming is bound to commercial to cater the needs of the Farmer. Can any one confirm that it is possible to Grow crops under Natural Farming without providing Organic matter to the Field. If you want to grow the crops for catering your Family needs OK proceed , but one cannot succeed Economically under Natural Farming. Hence we should follow according to the Time warranted by using the Organic matter of Cow-dung and cow urine. Hence it is not possible following Natural Farming without using Organic matter Provided by Mother Cow.
I am in hope donā€™t proceed further on this subject.But I can say the Farming methods be changed according to the Time warranted. I am requesting and hope that further discussions on this subject be STOPPED.

MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green farms, 9133498366 / 7416446789
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com

Dear @Bajpai

Thanks for your thoughts, the video links you posted here and forwarded on PM.

I see you possibly manage a farm and would be interested to learn about your first hand practical experiences on farm.
Can you create a new topic with your farm details, methods, pictures and outcomes? - that will be very interesting to me and the forum members. I am sure most of us have seen these and a lot of other videos by now and the discussion would be very enriching if it is about our own personal experiences.

Chandra

Dear all,

Last almost 8 days i was reading this particular thread and finally come to the end, it was a great reading for me and very informative as well.

some of you may remember that i am very new to farming and this is my second year only. As i already planned and started working towards natural/organic way of farming and that actually made me to read this thread which started late 2010.

in this thread so many farmers told before that they going to start farming organically and if they so they have 4-6 years of in hand experience.

I CALL THEM TO COME BACK AND SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE, IT IS BENEFICIAL FOR FARMERS COMMUNITY ESPECIALLY THE NEW ONE LIKE ME.

1 Like

India was once a flourishing economy had more than 22% share of world income that equalled that of total Europe. A country that was self-sufficient in its food production and exporter of its produce to todayā€™s developed world; now have to rely on food grain imports to feed the mouths of its ever-increasing population.

The cotton produced by the Indian farmers made one of the finest Muslins of the time which was one of the most sought-aftercommodity in the Roman Empire. Today the Indian cotton farmer sare dying of pesticide poisoning produced by the western world.

Agriculture in India goes through a flux of fortunes owing to vagaries of monsoon, limitations to modernisation of agriculture owing to small land holdings, non-availability of agricultural credit, less knowledge on integrated pest management, and more over no price guarantee for the produce of the farmers which makes agriculture even more difficult and less profitable for the Indian farmers.

The farmer who was once a rich and prosperous cultivator in unable to meet his basic needs and often has to rely on the option of committing suicide. The economic viability of Indian agriculture is in a jeopardy because of smaller and segmented farm lands due to which mechanisation is not possible, Lesser knowledge about new molecules, delays and exorbitant registration expenses for new chemistry and bureaucratic processes that makes the products out dated by the time it gets registered for use.

Many articles have been written on the pesticide conspiracy theory.The chemicals that were manufactured for use in chemical warfare during the 2nd world war, found its place in the agricultural sector as a pesticide.Unfortunately, these chemicals of mass destruction are still doing their job of destroying the Soil, Farm ecology, environment, farmers Health and poisoning of the consumers along with Pests.

The use of Pesticides has led to the slow poisoning of India.With the advent of green revolution came in the chemical fertilizers and the chemical pesticides which showed an initial increase in the overall productivity, however it has destroyed the very fabric of Indian Organic agriculture and increased the emergence of many health issues including an alarming rise in cancer patients.

To restore the soil and add profitability to the Indian agriculture a proper nutrition management is of outmost importance, a healthier crop is less susceptible to availability of water, fluctuation in weather and has more disease resistance capacity. Use of hormones,bio-stimulants and plant nutrients can reduce the consumption of pesticides by 40%. Biological, Organic and Plant derived pesticides along Organic Fertilizers and Nutrients can save the Indian agriculture and help bring back the old glory of the Indian farmers.

At Sunraysia we are dedicated to developing break through products which are derived from organic or biological sources that not only help in increasing the productivity but are also safe to the environment and the farm ecology. What works in other countries may not be suitable for Indian agriculture, owing to its diversified terrain, soil and weather conditions and the cultivation practices. At Sunraysia we develop customised formulations to suit the specific needs of the farmers in different regions.
You can visit: http://sunraysia.co.in for more details

1 Like

Organic Farming is Different from Natural Farmingā€¦ In Organic Farming one need to provide Organic Fertilizers in different modes.But in Natural Farming no need of Fertilisers , only thing is to provide water, Here they are believing that Nature itself is Providing the ingredients what the plant needs.
MANNE.SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms(A Reliable Farming Consultants in India),
9133498366 (WAP) 7416446789

Let me explain the below answers with my practical experience of running an 80 acre organic pineapple farm.

(1) how practical is organic farming?
By practicality if you mean economically as a business model, its definitely possible. We use modern technologies such as drip irrigation, fertigation systems and innovative farm machinery to cut down on labour costs and also plant at high density. For example, the local average of pineapple yield per acre is 8MT/acre, we did 21MT/acre the last 3 years. We planted 6.6 pineapple suckers / meter as opposed to the regular 2.2 suckers recomednded. In terms of farm machinery, we use machines such as drip line layers, bed makers which complete an entire acre of work in just 2 hours using 2 labourers. The machines are locally made by welders, not bought from a company. The other inputs we purchase from outside are chicken manure, jaggery, paddy straw and molasses. These are freely and cheaply available. Lastly and most importantly we sold our organic produce at conventional rates to the local market, thereby eliminating the need to find organic specific buyers. This also helped us grow much faster

(2) is it for small farms alone or extensible to large farms?
The methods are for both. We run a 3 acre coconut plantation with the same model in one location and a larger farm in a different location. The methods and costs are profitable in both scenarios.

(3) can higher yields be produced by organic farming over conventional methods?
Yes, please refer to (1) Learn more on fertigation, amrithpani, panchgavya and compostea. These are the main methods of nutritional gain and disease and pest tolerance. Drip irrigation lines are important.

(4) are the farm inputs in the market really effective?
Do not buy packeted produce. Source raw materials to make the above components.

2 Likes

Dear Mr. Le1,

I would agree with some of your thoughts on sustainable agro farming , however the consequences of using GM crops are yet to be analysed on a long term perspective on a controlled sample. I pursue, for the Human Race GM is very new and I doubt how could the Human Genes react to the Modified genes of the eatables. I suspect this paves way to more cancerous cell development in Human ( though I dont have the proven facts neither!)

Therefore I think we need to establish a balance between Organic-Natural-Sustainable and more researches on the long term samples have to be conducted for the benefit of the future generation, so we can better handover this place to them without complications! Afterall we all have borrowed the space from the future generation and it is our responsibility to give it back to them as we received from our past generation if not better!

PS: I like the way you argue, but the basic content is contradictory!

Hi Kailash,

Appreciate your answers, however I have a nagging doubt on the term " Organic" that you used. Can you certify that the chicken was fed with organic feed to produce the Manure of Organic in character? Also the paddy straw you used is free of pesticides and chemicals used by the paddy farmer? And the sugarcane used to produce jaggery was not treated with Chemicals and pesticides? there are so many influences we have in pure organic farmingā€¦however we can draw a line by setting a allowable limits of chemicals present in the organic produce.

But I appreciate the care and successful farming in your caseā€¦Good Luck

Regards,

Raju

Dear Sir,

Excellent piece of information and I wish we need to get more of that kind of details for various crops not limited only to Gerbera Plantsā€¦

Suggest something similar for Banana Plantation in 2 acres of land in Hunsur district.

Regards,

Raju

Farming is not yourā€¦ monthly salary nor a passion or a dream not a obsession!!!
Farming is a religion handed over from generation to generation.

Farming is our culture, which we have to respect like our great grand fore fathers have handed over to us.

Wars have won and lost, revolutions have come and gone. Needless to say, the human mindset prevails i.e., amputing the needs for the wants!

I have been going thru many of the blogs, sites and here too, there are great respected personalities who are hidden from the media world and are shining here helping young and enthusiast generations without the desire to ask anything except little bit of thanks and reagards here and there, also answering with lots of dumb and challenging queries.
In this regards, I would like to thank @RAMU sir and @cowherd sir and many more which I cannot name as im typing live.

Thank you all for being a part of this change, the real change the world needs is the hour!

With Regards

A great loss to our community.

Hi,

I know i am rather late into this topic, but still hope i may get a response.
Whereas i am in complete agreement in what you have said about the maintenance and the micro organisms of the top soil, my question is this. In paddy farming, we plough the land, so wont this destroy the balance in the top soil? This assumes we take all the inputs of natural farming, like mulching etc.

thanks, Khushroo

Hello,
I have Been reading your inputs in this thread or quite some time . I gained lot of fundamentals from your detailed explanation.
I am relatively new to farming and I own a Coffe estate which I bought recently. I am sincerely inclined to practice natural farming, but I have lot of questions(I konw it is a uphill task) .
I would llike to visit your farm, can you please help.
I am reachable on suridv55@gmail.com or 9880015465

Hi all,

I read very small part of above discussion. I will read the entire discussionā€¦ its extremely informative.

I am a new farmer, started in december 2020. I am follower of natural farming and i learned the technique from Sh Subhash Palekar Guruji. Though i have not implemented it fully on my farm. I started with jivamrut from june 2020 sporadically, made it regular from december. But availability of mulchable biomass was problemā€¦ that issue is getting slowly resolved as i have started growing crops. There is no humus as yet on the soilā€¦ also my farm is near river, most of agriculture land in my village is near river and ours is highest rainfall area in india. So this year in july my sugercane crop was underwater for atleast three days and even otherwise when it rains for half an hour, lot of water enters my farm. And most of the monsoon, it keeps raining without sun god giving darshan for months together. i am trying to find solutions to this water logging without harming neighboring farms.

1. I want to know how this excess water will affect my farm. When i spoke with a person in natural farming field, he said with water the chemicals in neighboring farms will enter your farm and affect your farm. So your produce may not be 100% natural if you test in a lab. In my village people donā€™t believe that farming is possible without urea or any such chemicals. So everyone gives heavy dose of fertiliser and only sugercane is produced.

2. How this water will affect humus in my soil. Before monsoon i had spread little bit of mulching in the form of cut grass and other biomass on my soil. And happily i found that the mulching was still intact after the flooding. So i have hopesā€¦

3. Now coming to a general question. I have not read entire discussion. May be this question is answered already.

My mother who is born in this village tells me how they had cows in her childhood and how they used to do all farming on cow dung.
I am sure until seventy years ago, everybody was doing natural farming.

Then where and how did things go wrong that India was forced to fall into this fertiliser trap? Was it a once in several years draught that created shortage of foodgrain in 1960s which forced Indian govt to import foodgrain and along with that fertiliser monsters entered? I remember in late sixties we used to get red wheat and something called millo, probably it must be millet jowary which was called milloā€¦ i was very young to know but its in memoryā€¦

Recently i saw one video by sh anil sadagopan where he spoke about the happenings in sixties when he was a student in agri college and he witnessed things and instead of increasing yield of local varieties, imported varieties were used which couldnt be grown without fertiliser. i read interview of Dr Richcharia where he mentioned that it was possible to increase yield of indian varieties.

I am not interested in any blame game but just want to know what went wrong with desi seeds and desi ways of farming which was natural those days.

Now there is thrust on desi seeds again. Many claim that in natural farming, use of desi seeds give better results.

If desi seeds are so good then what went wrong in sixties? That time india had only desi seedsā€¦

If they failed to feed increasing population then, how they will feed now if everyone turns to natural farming? The population has now doubled and agri land reduced as compared to the sixtiesā€¦

I firmly believe that natural farming is the sole future but what if everyone turns naturalā€¦ will we be able to produce enough?

Thanks,

Sadhana

1 Like

could you please share the link to your farm again.