Inter-cropping with G9 banana - which vegetables?

Hello,

I have the G9 banana plants of 3 months age and spacing between plants are 6 feet X 6 feet.
Please suggest me the vegetable I can plant there for Inter-cropping.

Regards,
Siddhartha.

You can go for Cauliflower/Cabbage @ 40 cm P-P and 45 cm R-R with paired Row, give gap of 45 cm from Bed to Bed.

Cowpea,Chilli are symbiotic crops. Marigold during rainy season is better.

Thanks Mr. Sri.
Can you please advice me for some winter and then in summer inter-cropping with banana?

Regards,
Siddhartha.

For winter lablab is good. I am not sure if it is your local crop. check your local crops.

For summer you can go for greengram/horsegram/gingelli. They dont need separate watring. What you provide for banana is good for them.

Can have inter cropping of Vegetable up to 6 Months of Initial Crop. Inter Cropping of Banana you can Plant Ginger in the Month of May/June which will fetch High returns.

Dear Mr. Manne,

I am interested in knowing more about what you have posted. Has anyone grown Ginger as intercrop with Banana and succeeded? Can you give me some references please? Can we also grow turmeric as intercrop?

Thanks Vinayak.

Inter cropping of of Vegetables in Banana is not feasible after 6 Months. The reason behind is that Vegetables needs much Sunrays.If grow vegetable under shade tend to much diseases and Pests.But the Ginger crop needs shade. It is the Practice in several Places that the Ginger is growing underneath the Pendals of Perennial creeper Cop of DONDA Vegetable. Hence it is better to go for Ginger as Inter crop in the Shade of Banana. But the Ginger be Planted on elevated Beds duly making Channels to avoid water logging.If needed Pl. Contact for Tutorial on Ginger crop on 09133498366.
MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com,

Thank you Bhayya,
Inter cropping of Ginger in Banana Plantation is feasible .But growing of Vegetables in Banana Crop as inter crop is not feasible except TOMATO during Summer.Inter cropping of of Vegetables in Banana is not feasible after 3 Months. The reason behind is that Vegetables needs much Sunrays.If grow vegetable under shade tend to much diseases and Pests.But the Ginger crop needs shade. It is the Practice in several Places that the Ginger is growing underneath the Pendals of Perennial creeper Cop of DONDA Vegetable.It is succeeded in surrounding Vijayawada the Farmer are Growing Ginger under the Pendals of Creaper Vegetables and DONDA perinnial creeper crop. Hence it is better to go for Ginger as Inter crop in the Shade of Banana. But the Ginger be Planted on elevated Beds duly making Channels to avoid water logging.If needed Pl. Contact for Tutorial on Ginger crop on 09133498366.
MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,

in a spacing of 4x4x8 double rows you can grow any vegetables.

Thank you Sri Bhayya ,

what you said is OK . I am posting about latest trend of Hi-Density Banana crop. Can Grow Vegetables up to 3 Months of Plantation of Banana. Now also I am having Tomato in my Farm.But the intercrop in Banana can be maximum up to 6 Months in Hi-Density Banana crop. If any body want to grow for Vegetable throughout the year Vegetables in Hi-Density Banana crop is not feasible.
MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,
[/quote]

4x4x8 is also HD 1800 plants per acre. In your opinion what spacing is HD.

Thank you Mr. Sri , the Distance you have mentioned is HD But the Row spacing you have given is more. But however it is essential to go for inter cultivation in avoiding Grass weed.

MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,

Which one of these is better?
Marigold/Cowpea
Answer by keeping in mind the Loss of Fertility due to Intercropping.
I am planning 457 paired row for Cultivation

Thank you Sir M/S JSR Agro Farms .!

Marigold being a Host Plant you can go for it.But Cowpea may not be suitable for intercropping, since it being a semi-Creeper and it may not be suitable. Moreover any creeper crop is not suitable for Intercropping because it is interfering with the main crop and also almost all the creeper are more susceptible to pests.Hence you can go for Merigold and its being a pest resistant as well as as being a Host plant for any crop.

MANNE SN,
Vasudha Green Farms,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmaol.com,

Thanks for your Reply.
I dont intend to plant Cowpea for generating additional Income. I am planning to plant cowpea after 45 days of planting Banana. And keep it till it flowers and then till the land so as to achieve 2 things 1) Improve the fertility 2) control weed growth
Planting Marigold would help me keep some pests and weeds away and also help me generate additional income. Given the fact that as Intercrop I might be able to achieve a yield of about 2 Tinnes and with market rate of about 15 Rs i will be able to genrate 25k to 30K. But my concern is that I am not sure whether Marigold would reduce the Nutrients of my farm or not? so can you kindly throw some light regarding this.

Regards,
Sandeep

Thank you Bhayya,

If you want to go for Green Manure you go for Janumu or Jeeluga which will grow very Fast and will give large amount of Green Manure.instead of Cowpea.Cowpea will easily tend to Pests.
MANNE SN,
Vasudha Green Farms,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmaol.com,

Any comment regarding the loss of fertility due to intercropping Banana with Marigold?

Having marigold is for two reasons,

1. It releases a toxic content which controls nematodes.
  2. The yellow flowers attracts pests, so banana is unaffected.

PS: You can have bush cowpea also.