Integrated Farming Project for Consistent Income - request for suggestions

hi friends,
I am a 55 year old mechanical engineer , working in a central government organisation in chennai.Even though, my father was a farmer, I did not take much interest in agriculture. Recently I purchased 3 acres of wet land which is adjacent to my 3 acre land. we have one well with a pump set. Total 6 acres. Rice was being continuously for the last 50 years without proper natural manure.
The land suituated near Gingee, Tiruvannamalai in villupuram district of Tamil nadu, mostly dry whether. Recently I started reading about agriculture. I want to do full time agriculture after 5 years and Now part time like monthly 2-3 days.
first I thought of planting casuarina. Then I thought about ultra high density mango plantation.
can any body guide me how to go about.
thanking you
V VINAYAGAM

1 Like

Hello Ganesh,

Hope you are doing good…

I have read your plan posted on jan 4th 2014 of integrated farming. wanted to know how is it going. Did you face any problems, did you learn any lessons while solving those problems.

Can you please share with us.

I am also in the same path as you are… I have 15 Acers of land in which I am planning to do similar integrated farming (Minus fish pond and coconut trees). I am from Hyderabad and my land is near vikharabad (110KM).

We have started farming since last may, and planning to take it full time by next june.

We would like to take very small steps as I am a new bee in agriculture. Want to start with 1 or 2 Murrah Buffalo’s, 20 desi hens, Banana and ginger to follow palekar model, and 5 layer palekar model, with vegetables as inter crop

I would like to add epiculture also to my farm. a small training course will teach you how to do it. I hear its very easy and effort less which can fetch some extra money. You can try this in your farm if you want.

Please post some pics of your farm, which would be helpful to get some new ideas.

Regards

VK

Hi Ganesh, It would be great if you could share your progress. The IT to Farm crowd is increasing and most of them (including myself) have the same plans. Hearing on how you fared and your experiences would help us all prepare for our journey forward.

2 Likes

Hi?
What is the progress?

Khan Sahab,
What’s the update? Would like to hear your experience. Can you add some pics. Visuals help to understand better.
I am also in the planning phase of conversion of our ancestral farm into an IFM.
Regards…!!!

1 Like

Good Idea,keep it up,best of luck.

Dear I think you stepped into heaven path and little bit spiritual .
You understand the theam of life and giving.
I am too dreaming a massive way entry into this eco village type of concept.
Would like to hear from your present status and yes if you agree to teach me some practice wisdom of this I can visit your farm in June.
Regards
Sri bunty