India imported 2.66 mn tonnes pulses during apr-jan of fy12

SME News, Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 13:38:06 PM IST
NEW DELHI: India imported 2.66 million tonnes of pulses in April-January period of the financial year 2011-12 to address domestic demand. The comparative figures for the fiscal year 2010-11 were not available.

India is presently considered as the world’s largest pulses producer and consumer. It had imported 2.69 million tonnes during the complete 2010-11 fiscal year, said the data tabled in the Lok Sabha by Food Minister Prof K V Thomas.
The domestic demand of pulses has been pegged at 18.84 million tonnes for the previous financial year.

According to the third advance predictions released by the Agriculture Ministry, the pulses production slipped to 17.02 million tonnes during the 2011-12 crop year (July-June) as compared to a record 18.24 million tonnes in the previous year.
Thomas also stated that the wholesale prices of pulses, except gram, were lower during FY12 fiscal as against the previous year.

With the above news, we should think again and again to produce more pulses for self dependency.
Pulses are very important for our healthy food consumption and we are running behind commercial crops.
We can grow pulses as inter crops along with other crops first fro our own consumption and than for selling them.
Let us set our target to produce pulses first for us and than think of others. Own grown pulses are free from contamination or any other problems.

Hi Swamy,

I think processing of the pulses are labor intensive. I see most of the pulses are on road, waiting for bus and lorry to thresh it. Its a common process in all of karnataka.

As soon one vehicle passes, guys run there and do a twist and twirl and again wait for another vehicle. Do there exist any machine for this job. Cost effective.

Now it has been established here on this forum, many are from engineering background. Being a farmer can you highlight any sector in agriculture where there is a need for some sort of machinery or the available ones are very expensive, May be the pool here can help.

Can you let us know whether there is a season for these pulses are can it be grown any time. What else apart from Urud, Thuvar, Channa and Moong ??

Regards

Murali

Dear Swamy,

I am only a fringe player - not a direct farmer. Due to certain commitments, I am presently residing/working outside India. I look forward to coming back to India in a year or two and take up farming on a full time basis. I have already done the preparatory work - developing a 35 acre farm in AP. The farm is presently being managed by my relatives. What I have observed is that despite having land, labour, water and all required inputs, our people don’t even grow the necessary vegetables for use at home. During my visit last year, I bought seeds of all the regular vegetables we use and planted them in the farm. This is the case with many people who are into full-time farming today. Everyone should aim for growing at least some of the food items for their own consumption, which will also cut down on the house-hold costs.

Coming back to the topic, we have planted toor dal a few times and got fairly good yields and returns too. This was not just for home use but as a regular crop. With proper crop management, one can get good yields. However, returns will depend on the prices when you sell the crop. If one is able to hold for a few months after getting the crop, returns will definitely be higher.

Cheers,

John

Dear John,
Good, you have got some taste from the pulse from your own field.
Thanks for your interest on our ground crops even though you are not here in our mother land, Jai ho.
I pray my GOD to give all those who neglecting agriculture to understand the strength of Farmer who feeding universe.

Still there are Bhageeratha’s who are getting very good returns from pulses cultivation.
I invite any other members to come up with their ideas or questions on pulses before i come up with
cultivation practices of these pulses for the benefits of our members.

since 1970s govt promoted grains cultivation and not only neglected but destroyed the pulses cultivation by prompting the farmer to use excessive fertilizers and watering. Now in many fertile areas known to produce lot of pulses become unsuitable for pulses crops. Just govt shortsightedness. Pulse are good for soil health also, as they fix the nitrogen

Answer to Murali’s question on processing/threshing please? :slight_smile: