I am 27 and have been looking to get into farming since college. I have identified a 100 acre property which the owner is ready to lease for Rs.5000/acre/year for upto 5 years. The land is even, fertile and is surrounded by lotus ponds/lake. the land requires clearing of shrubs to some extent. There is a borewell for groundwater a diesel operated engine to pump water from the pump.
I can have access to labour from nearby villages @ Rs.120/4hour shift. I can also arrange for full time live-in labours @ Rs.7000/month/couple. I am not sure if this is economical though.
My father has experience in conventional farming but not to the extent of 100 acres. We also own a tractor with a plough and a trailer. And I can arrange for an investment of Rs.5 lakhs from my savings.
I am seeking your help to plan and utilize the resources to the fullest. Also, Advise on subsidies/loans and procedures.
A few specific questions:
- Since Koyambedu vegetable/fruits market is nearby, should I consider growing vegetables/fruits like melons?
- how should I divide the land? like making irrigation canals.
- will drip irrigation be advised?
- how do I start off from here?
- will the climate in Chennai help at all? with increasingly hot summers and cold winters?
- I can get a job abroad with a monthly savings of Rs. 1 lakh. However, I love to do this. Am I on the right path?
Any advice on this matter is appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance. this means a lot to me.
Thanks in advance