Hydroponics - why is it not successful?

Hi Rajeev and Vivek,

I visited a urban Aquaponics farm this summer near my locality, they are growing many kinds of leafy veggies, the setup was very good, looks like they have not spent so much for their inital setup. In the bottom setup they raise hundreds of Tilapia, their waste is being pumped to some kind of filters/tanks, from there water reaches the upper beds where veggies are raised and in turn water again reaches the lower beds where tilapia is raised. I did not understand much of how the system works in its entirety, but just wanted to share with you guys.
You can visit the below link to see their setup and how it works. Hope this will be of some help to you.
growingpower.org/

Thanks,
Nishikanth

[quote=enkreddy]
Hi Rajeev and Vivek,

I visited a urban Aquaponics farm this summer near my locality, they are growing many kinds of leafy veggies, the setup was very good, looks like they have not spent so much for their inital setup. In the bottom setup they raise hundreds of Tilapia, their waste is being pumped to some kind of filters/tanks, from there water reaches the upper beds where veggies are raised and in turn water again reaches the lower beds where tilapia is raised. I did not understand much of how the system works in its entirety, but just wanted to share with you guys.
You can visit the below link to see their setup and how it works. Hope this will be of some help to you.
growingpower.org/

Thanks,
Nishikanth[/quote]

Dear Nishikanth,

thanks for sharing info on this topic, In fact we are planning this on our land in Umaria,MADHYA PRADESSH, of course we shall get some training on the subject,

regds

Rajeev

hi Mr viks.
ithink that the setup will be like this. you grow fish in the pond and pump the water from the pond[ enriched by fish droppings] to the plants after filteration. then excess water is allowed into the fish pond. but i dont agree with the part that extra nutrition is not needed for the plants. this has to be verified. . but on the whole set up seems to be feasible. pl share your thoughts viks.

Hey Mr.Ak,

umm… its kindda complicated. but let me list a few questions that are coming in my mind

• can all crops be grown this way?
  • does the fish waste have all the essential nutrients required for the crop selected?
  • what fish variety is suitable/advisable ?
  • how much density of fishes will give us the required parameters?
  • collection of the excess water will need some sort of drainage system, which i feel will add to the initial cost.
  • pesticides/fungicides sprayed will in some manner or the other settle on the growing media, and drain slowly overtime and get mixed with the excess water, and go to the fish pond. fungicides used via drip will be more problematic.

i have an artificial water pond, and i do offshore fish farming too. but then the water has hardly any special characteristics which are added by the fishes. maybe less fishes, variety…dono.

what do u feel ?

Vivek

yes all the points raised by have to be clarified.
they may be having a complete organic setup without using any pesticide or fungicide.
One suggestion regarding your fish pond. i think you will drain the pond atleast one time after harvesting fish. the bottom soil will be enriched with fish droppings. that may be more useful for your crops. are you using it for your polyhouse crops? just as old times when our grand fathers used tank silt

Evening Mr.Ak,
very very true. i am using our great grand father farming methods :stuck_out_tongue:
and you are very right. i do collect the deposits in the pond and use them.

and my pond is no ordinary pond, it has special characteristics :slight_smile:

will post lab reports with details soon.

Vivek

hi mr VIKS I AM PLANNING OF A FARM POND . PL GIVE UR VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS. JUST WE HAD VERY VERY POOR MONSOON FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS . SO THE WATER IN THE WELL IS DECREASING AND THE EC OF WATER IS GOING ON RISING. THINKING OVERTIME TO OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM. WAITING FOR SOME GOOD RAINS. IF UR HAVING PLENTY PL. SEND SOME BLACK CLOUDS TO OUR AREA.
WAITING FOR UR SUGGESTIONS REGARDING POND
THANK U

Can be successful if you know how to balance the PH and EC and make your own nutrients and make a simple system to grow.

TO be successful you first need to run a small scale hydroponic commercial system say with 1000 sqft and then make it BIG .

I totally agree with what Mr. Vivek say , why go to hydroponics when i can produce 150 tons in 1 acre using soil .

I am setting up a small 500 sqft hydroponic green house in Bangalore, Will soon post with details . If i am successful in my turnkey project i will try with 1000Sqmt and then go for 1 acre greenhouse . I am waiting for my greenhouse sheet to be fixed.

thanks Dear for sharing so much information on Hydroponics,pH and EC are two main indicators which need close monitoring in soilless culture, different vegetables have different EC requirement , and it is vary in summer and winter

I Too planning on small scale on my farm land in Umaria , M.P. , things will become more clear when we start it practically

regards

Rajeev

Electrical Conductivity (EC):
The measure of the ability of water to conduct an electrical current, the magnitude
of which depends on the dissolved mineral content of the water.

Oxygen, silicone, aluminum, iron, magnesium, calcium, sodium, and potassium
are all electrically charged on a molecular level. When combined in different
combinations, these form electrically charged molecules that combine
to form different minerals.

True , EC needs to adjusted according to the climate but you can try out this which worked for me .

@ specific EC which is 25°C, if you maintain your nutrient solution at this level, instead of controlling the temp of the greenhouse
which is high cost maintenance,

Since the electrical current flow (I) increases with increasing temperature,This is the reason
you increase you EC value during winter to forget this problem if we maintain 20°C to 25°C depending on your crop you
maintain same EC and your plant roots also like it…

Dear Sir,

True, we have to monitor EC, pH of media of soil-less culture,different crops have different requirement in summer and wintor

regds

Rajeev Pal

hi vertical i couldnt understand this . pl explain . you mean to say that --controlling temp is enough? pl explain in detail. this will be useful to us. thank u

Hi AK,

What i mean to say is , Not to change the EC in the nutrients according to climate change
but change the EC according to the stage of the plant and maintain nutrient solution at a
constant temp when irrigating.

Say tomato for Example

You have 4 stage in plant growth.and you make your nutrients with the following EC

Cluster 1 -4
First stage Cluster 1 EC 1.2mS/cm
second stage Cluster2 EC=1.3mS/cm
third stage Cluster 3 EC=1.4mS/cm
Fourth stage Cluster 4 EC 1.5mS/cm

What happens to plants is they get into hibernation mode During cold season
so activity of the plant is minimum or also nill, and since the nutrient solution also is
of almost same temp as out side you will need to increase the EC level for
plants to absorb,In regular system of cultivation the temp in the soil
Takes time to change but in a meduim like Cocopeat and vermiculate or hydroton
you dont need to worry ,If you increase your temp of the nutrient solution it will
reflect immediatly, Instead of you increasing the Nutrient EC ,
Maintain the same EC as per the stage of the plant growth and Maintain 25
degree Celsius in the nutrient solution at all time.in your reservoir.
(can use aquarium good quality heaters/Thermostats) This will be the
most ideal temp for transporting the dissolved nutrients to the roots.
This will increase the electrical current flow in the nutrients and help
better absorption by the roots.

What is the point if you place heaters in the green house and your nutrients at
lower temperature? 25 degree will do the magic. This is worked for me.

hi Vertical!

are you saying that EC can be adjusted by maintaining a certain temperature of the fertigation?

and it is very obvious that the EC would change automatically at different stages of the plant. i really cant get the point.

and its true that winter time is slow for the plants, but there are ways to take care of that. which hardly cost anything.

i say, coco-peat is good as its a neutral media, but then how does one measure what the plant need actually? say if you add 1 gm of ferrous, how much is picked up by the plant and how much is drained?

its a waste incase major is being drained, so reusing the drained fertilizer is possible in some cases, and impossible in some.

about EC, is it easy to control it in soil ? or in cocopeat? and how does the EC change in actual farming situations?

and you have said 25 degree fertigation has worked for you. what was the crop ? and what method/practise did you follow? can you plz share more about this?

Vivek

Vertical, another question,

the pictures you have posted, look amazing and very neat. guess the pipes you are using are 2 inch x 4 inch. what crop are you planning to grow. plz share some plans about the same.

Vivek

[quote]Vertical, another question,

the pictures you have posted, look amazing and very neat. guess the pipes you are using are 2 inch x 4 inch. what crop are you planning to grow. plz share some plans about the same.

Vivek[/quote]

I am using 5*2.5" Rectangle pipes, as Roots need more width than depth .

I am planing to grow Spinach,lettuce,basil,broccoli, Cherry tomato’s, strawberry. In the NFT system .

Using drip and Drain, (run to waste) grow bag I am planing for capsicum, tomato,okra,Egg plant, cucumbers.

I am planing for a Full proof system which will be shared with all members including Nutrient details and system details.

I am setting up this place to check the economics of farming hydroponically before getting in to real business.

Growth makes you learn

Hope it will turn out good.

Its sounds like an interview ,Any ways i am here to share my experience and gain from others practice, I have replied what i know,If you have better answers do reply.

No i am not saying EC can be controlled by adjusting the Temperature
PH is a major determinant of nutrient uptake by the plant of the nutrient solution.
Optimum range is 5.1 to 5.9
Optimum temperature of hydroponic solution is 24-25c At this point most elements
are assimilated highest and the atmospheric oxygen is dissolved .Increase in temp
will increase photosynthesis with max of 25c. If PH in the range and nutrient at the controlled
temperature will end in maximum uptake of elements from the solution.

Fellow member posted saying different climate needs different EC levels and i replied for that, Do not need to change the EC as per climate change instead Maintain the temperature constant at solution level which will give better result.

Yes agree.Never made a point its not possible.Nor expensive.

True coco-peat is a great medium, But one can not say which plant has taken what actually,Your EC can only give you total amount of dissolved salts but not the nutrient balance ,Even when u check the EC from the drain its not possible. If one can say this answer then its only by experience of growing or by LAB test,If u have a way kindly share.

I tried with Drain to waste (growbag ) method and crop cucumbers.

I feel its more easy in cocpeat or a soil less medium . Rest is you to answer better as you have more experience in actual farming

[quote]I am not here to sell any service or try to market my products.Just as enthusiast like others trying to share what i know and what i practice.More over not even a commercial farmer like many here, May be very soon will become one ,First generation farmer.
wish this community will appreciate for this initiative. [/quote]

Hey Vertical,
it sure was a interview :stuck_out_tongue: and thanks for responding. i am very curious myself to learn and experiment with such systems, and so are a lot of members. we all just want to know more from people who are actually doing it. plz dont mind my queries.

and yes, you havent mentioned anything about the price/cost involvement. i am just adding the financial aspect as end of the day, its the returns one is working for.
maybe today, its an experiment to learn, but tomorrow its going to be our bread and butter.

i am also looking for answers to questions which are coming in your mind as well. so lets keep the discussion alive, and share as and when we have something new and informative.

plz keep the updates coming with pictures.

Vivek

1 Like

Vertical,
i am a soil media grower. i am experimenting with coco-peat. so as of now i can tell about soil.

as we accept that coco-peat is neutral, so its the easiest to maintain EC or PH in it. say i add 5ml of sulphur, the EC changes by 1 mS/cm, stays for an hour, and then becomes neutral, same is with PH. and as you have added, that 25 degrees is ideal for irrigation. thats ok for 50-100 plants. but what can i do when i have 20k plants to water? its difficult to maintain temperature of a well, or a borewell. yes, there are systems, but then are the actual farm conditions suitable, where there are power failure etc. then is the cost aspect of such systems.

about nutrient uptake by plants, and how much is wasted, i also think that only lab reports can clear this.

so all such things i dont have to worry if i am using soil. ofcourse other problems come into picture.

Vivek

Hi,

When you are going to use Coco-peat as medium and hydroponic nutrient you will not use Borewell and Well to irrigate you will use a reservoir to irrigate 3 times a day and not 1 time watering. say If you need to supply 1 litter of Nutrient solution a day per plant for 20000 plants then 6666 litter of nutrient per watering cycle and for 3 times a day . So maintaining the temperature in Reservoir of 7500 litter should not be a problem.