Hydroponics fodder cultivation

Hi,

I am planning to start up a dairy farm in West Bengal where land is scarce, so I started searching alternative for cultivating my green fodder.

I came across several companies who gave me quotation for Hydroponic machines starting from 6,00,000 to 78,00,000. As I am not a politicial I dont have that much money to invest.

I started experimenting with the concept of Hydroponic fodder cultivation on my own, I experimented with wheat, barley and maize, and I was successful.

Here is how you too can do it at home environment.

Take 1 kg of barley, wheat or maize, it’s better if you choose your seed carefully depending on germination percentage, ideal seeds are with germination rate of 95%.

Instruction:

Things required: Bucket, 1 kg seed, a tray which shoud be 7-8 inch deep and where you will be able to spread your entire seed properly and a piece of coton cloth.

Process: Soak your seed for 12 hours in a bucket, after that rinse the water and place the seed on the tray, (spread it evenly and seeds should lay compact as it will form a root mat, if it is not compact root mat will be thin.) Cover it with a wet cloth, (Please remember to drain extra water from the tray or it may get affected with fungus). Place the tray in a dark place.

The cloth should be wet 24/7 and keep checking your cloth so that it doesn’t get dry.

Within next 12 hours you can see that your seed has started germinating, keep following the process for next 3 days when you can see small blades of grasses coming out.

Now you have to bring those trays to light, avoid direct sunlight as wheat barley or maize grasses reacts to this, I kept my tray in sunlight for a day and it started drying.

On 7th or 8th day you can see grasses have grown upto 7-8 inches and your green fodder is ready.

Please note: Deepending on what type of seed you are using you will get 6-8 kg of green grasses per kg seed.

Hi friend,

Excellent workout, more than that you are sharing with this forum friends.

Ok. Can u come out with the further details like how many animals you have at present,how much of green fodder in a day you are growing in this method,how much quantitiy you are feeding this per day, any difficulties you are faced,few of photographs,expenditure details …please.

we all hydroponics enthuiastic peoples will be waiting for the same.

thanks and regards,

kasturiraju.

Thanks for the info. Since no nutrients are being provided to the seeds, essentially it is germinated seedlings (or) are you growing the plants somehow?

@showvik, good work.

What about the economics. I kg of seed to 8 kg of grass, is that a workable model?.

Hi,

At present I am working with a Fortune 5 organization at Hyderabad, I am in process of setting up a dairy farm within next 2 months at West Bengal and as land is scarce there I am doing my research for alternative green fodder cultivation. If you have sufficient land for green fodder cultivation there is no need for you to go through hydroponic system. I have already mentioned in my post that I am in process of starting my farm I have not started it producing day to day basis, but I have done experiment for 8-10 times and always result is same.

Hi,

After studying and researching a lot about Hydroponic fodder cultivation I have come to a conclution that for growing fodder you will not require any kind of nutrients solution for first 11-12 days as all the nutrients a grass needs are stored in the seed it self, even if you give extra nutrients it will be wastage of money, but do remember to feed the grass to the animal within 8th to 9th day as after that these grasses will turn bitter and your animal may reject it. For me I am not giving anything extra just seed and water.

Hi,

I know before starting any kind of exweriment of this short it involves cost, but believe me for me It is more cheaper for me and good for my cattles compare to traditional grasses or feed I am giving you the reason for that.

In my side cost of 1 kg of green fodder is around Rs 4, and that too available only on selected season, so if I want to purchase 9-10 kg of grass or green fodder it will cost me almost Rs 40.

But in my side for wheat or maize is available at a market price of Rs 10-11, and except water I am not adding any thing to it so from 1 kg of Wheat I am getting minimum 6 kg of grass and cost of these grass are max 50 pasie Rs. 2, plus it is free from any kind of insecticide of pesticide.

So in this way I think it is a viable option for me.

Mod edit: corrected calculated number

Hi Showvik
I also tried similar to this in a small tray and it works well.
Only one small issue, lot of fruit flies are sitting and surrounding the sprouts, do u face anything like this ???

Venkatesh

Hi Showvik,

What about the cost of wheat? Dont you consider that? How much will one Kg of wheat cost you?

Siddramesh Nara (09742201385)

10-11 per kg

No I didnt face any such issues, if you are facing you may consider adding 1 or 2 drops of Potasium permanganate to your water or consider placing a shade over the tray.

Showmik,

This is a great technique, but can I enquire about the costing again.

If 1 kg seed costs Rs 10-11 and produces 6 kg grass, your cost per kg of grass must be Rs 1.66 to Rs 1.83.

Of course, more output will reduce the cost further. And it is still cheaper than buying fodder.

Hope I am wrong, but can you clarify?

Hi,

I am sorry there was a typo in my previous post, and your calculation is correct.

Hi sowvik,

All your experiments are ok. Also, simple methods and techniques are acceptable with single digit animals, what we feel.
But, when it comes to the bulk quantity, we think its a process and lots of issues raises i.e. like handling of each individual activities become more complex.
More than that,practical experiences for longer time can only be consider the successfull experiences, or else it is pain to tell here, its only short period satisfactions and achievements in farming.

Anyway, please post the practicle experiences too of the above when you use /implement in your proposed dairy farm, then realy it will be verymuch useful.

keep updating,thanks.

kasturiraju.

Hi,

Its your conventional thinking, I have gone through a research paper published by KVK Baramati and they have been able to produce 750 kg of green fodder every day follwing the same technique I am using, they just made eight racks made of bamboo.

I have a goat farm in Odisha and would seriously like to adopt your method for the cultivation of fodder through your tried method of hydroponics…which seems practical as its not using any power etc and is serving the purpose.

Is there any way to contact you by no. Or email. Please mention on thegoatfarmindia@gmail.com.

Matter is urgent.

Ok. well,

can you share the research papers of KVK baramathi links ,please.

surely we can understand the tecniques.

thanks and regards,

kasturiraju.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, and I really appreciate it because it’s really helping me a lot. I have started my farm 3 months back and as I was experimenting before I am able to produce around 300 kg of grass every day using hydroponic system for my 10 cows and 25 goats.

Honestly telling you I am finding it much more economical because whenever I am in need of more grass, I am just adding a new rack with few more trays which are much cheaper then buying a land worth 7.5 lack per acre.

In another way it is economical to me as I am preparing my concentrate feed, and by giving wheat grass as a fodder I am achieving lush green grass plus cereal. So any way I am saving from this.

You guys are much more experienced in this industry, hope you will guide me to run this business I have started successfully.

Hi Showvik,

Congrats on your approach. It will be helpful if you could share any pictures of your setup, along with its setup and operating cost.
What are the seeds you are using for growing the fodder?

Venkatesh

Hi,

Right now it’s not possible for me to upload any pics due to some issues with my net (low bandwidth). All other info I have already given in this form, Please check.