Hydroponic Color Pepper / Capsicum Cultivation

Hydroponic Color Capsicum Farm

• Are you interested in growing Color Capsicum All year round?
  • Do you want to grow them in same poly house forever?
  • Do you want the yield as high as 100 tons per acre?
  • Do you want to get the best price for your produce and National Brand to support marketing?

Then here is your chance to start a business that you can depend on for a lively hood. Visit the farm shown above, understand the concept, Technology and business proposition and you will be the first few growers who would be part of new revolution that is going to make significant difference in way you will be growing your cash crops.

Idea is to create a nationwide network of progressive growers and provide them with latest know how in hydroponics using India-centric technology and allowing them to market their produce under a National brand. This allows you to access latest know how, quality production, nationwide demand leading to stress less and profitable agriculture which can support a quality lifestyle.

Visits are open for Monday to Friday and you need to book in advance. the farm is located at Talegaon Dabhade, about 25 kms from Pune, Maharashtra.

So go on and do write to me for arranging the visit.

Regards

Atul Kalaskar

atulkalaskar,

Good information!
Any high level view on costs and revenues?

Thanks.

Average production 100 ton per acre.
Average year round price of Rs. 40 per kg
Annual Sales approx 40 lakhs
Investment Approx 35 lakh (25% subsidy from central govt)
Average annual operating cost 12-15 lakh.

Hello Atul

I am very keen to visit the farm and meet you as well in regards to hydroponics. Kindly send me your contact details.
My name is Gaurav Mehta and I live in Thane, Maharashtra. I am in the process of working with two NGOā€™s in thane city itself for marketing of fresh vegetables. As of today I am a social entrepreneur.
In Thane city I am working on an ambitious plan to develop the latent Mahila Bachat Gatā€™s in to remunerative and economically viable modules. These women all the help they can get from us.

Going further, I am also keen to network with farmers directly so that I can get a steady supply of fresh vegetables. The Thane / Nasik / Pune belt is currently what I am working on. Do assist in any way possible.
My mobile number is 8828173283 or 022 32225210.
Regards
Gaurav Mehta

Hi Gaurav,

I can be reached on my mail atulkalaskar@yahoo.com for further details.

Regards

Atul

Hi atulkalaskar

I have a small question why u all people suggesting hydroponic cultivation, by generally also we can grow capsicum throughout the year by a green polyhouse i.e., under shaded net.

Hydroponic cultivation is very expensive and another thing is that it is totally inorganic cultivation, it is not organic cultivation

The only advantages in hydroponics is that

100% Nutrient Absorbtion
Less usage of water

But it is some what not that much benficall onces

I have seen the photo which was loaded by u, ur saying Hydroponics

Hydroponics means cultivating any thing that water as a subtrate, but ur using pots which consists of sand or cocopeat

Hi Janardan,

Thanks indeed for posting your queries and concerns. In fact ( and donā€™t get me wrong here) your concerns are perfect example of how inadequate knowledge can lead to death of a great idea. Let me explain some of your questionsā€¦

generally also we can grow capsicum throughout the year by a green polyhouse i.e., under shaded net.
Very true. Now you end up with 20-40% plant mortality due to soil borne disease, how can you tolerate that?
You cannot plant capsicum in same land next year, so do you set up a new shade net?
You are wasting water and nutrient since 70% is anyway drained away in soil? Where do you compensate for these costs?
You are further polluting soil and under ground water table, how can we explain that?
Your soil may not be the perfect for growing capsicum, so then you are either wasting your money by planting capsicum or just skipping the idea all together.
Yield is much lower in soil. You get best yield only when soil is virgin.

Bottomline is with hydroponics we try to grow plants in any place that is available to us. Importantly hydroponics is a tool to bring resource efficiency and certainty to agriculture like manufacturing industry.

Hydroponic cultivation is very expensive and another thing is that it is totally inorganic cultivation, it is not organic cultivation

Making cars is expensive too but it is a profitable business. Same logic goes to hydroponics as well. Current mind set in agriculture industry in India is ā€œLeast cost and whatever may be the yieldā€ but in hydroponics we are changing that to ā€œMaximum yield at highest efficiencyā€ and if that needs investment then it is worth it.

I donā€™t even want to enter in inorganic / organic debate because my personal view is organic is a scam. Getting the best quality produce is our right as a consumer. Why should I pay 3-4 times more price for product which is claimed to be good? Hydroponic produce when compared to organic is more nutritious and is better value for money because it is not priced higher. It is sold at market price.

Hydroponics means cultivating any thing that water as a substrate, but ur using pots which consists of sand or cocopeat
Hydroponics means any soil less cultivation. Originally the idea started with water based cultivation but todayā€™s definition of hydroponics includes any soil less medium such as sand, coco peat, pebbles etc.

Just want to clear few doubts here. Every plant has a need for specific things such as water, nutrients, environment, temp and so on. In fact there are 13 different variables that affect the plant yield. In hydroponics we try to control each and every one of them so that plant get what nature intended for it. Of course when you try to control all 13 factors at 100%, your investment will be huge and you will get the superb productivity but it will not be a viable business since your selling price will be way to lower than production price.

When you adjust control bar for adjusting these 13 variable factors, you are able to come up with winning composition of moderate cost at the maximum yield (under those conditions) and there in lies the successful business foundation of hydroponics.

Hope this helps everyone.

Edited by moderator: to keep the discussion on topic.

@Atul -

Are you aware of any Hydroponics operations in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka or Kerela?
Given we are based near Madurai, we can make a quick visit to a nearby farm since this is one among our interests.

Also, do you have any recommendations for hydroponics consultants? There are a lot of folks who claim to know the domain but actually have no on-the-ground experience. From my readings, this can be a highly scientific process if the promised output and benefits are desired.

Thanks,
Nakul Johri
Follow us at : [url=http://techie2aggie.blogspot.com/]http://techie2aggie.blogspot.com/[/url]

Hi Nakul,

Thanks indeed. Unfortunately I am not aware of any true hydroponic growers in India. There are few that I have seen in floriculture but they mainly focus theur activities in nursery field. So bottom line there arenā€™t any in India. Ofcourse thatā€™s what I am trying to change and you can see my strawberry project at facebook.com/album.php?id=75 ā€¦ aid=243335

Consultant is even worst scenario and I have realized that there arnā€™t any in India worth their salt. I deal with all foreign consultants and Universities mainly based in US so as to ensure I get the right knowledge at the first time. Because first and foremost I am a grower and I canā€™t afford to loose my plants.

You are correct in terms of process being highly scientific but let me also add that it is not a rocket science. Anyone who has a keen interest can do it with proper guidance.

Atul Kalaskar
Yahoo Mail: atulkalaskar@yahoo.com
MSN Messenger : atulkalaskar@hotmail.com

Atul,

Could you explain what these " 13 variables" are and how your system controls them.

Thanks and Regards.

Wellā€¦Donā€™t you think thatā€™s a trade secret? :smiley:

Anyway, on a lighter noteā€¦just as an example take soil. There is no way one can control the soil. So the idea is to use an alternative. Now there are many options like water itself, perlite, sand, gravel, saw dust, coco peat and so on. One needs to pick the right option which fulfills the benefits for plant, to grower in terms of economics and environment (Bio degradable etc).

So bottom line think about the factors that affect the yield and sales and once you identify them look for options / solutions which can overcome the adverse effect and you will be able to produce the best yield in terms of quantity and quality.

We in our research have identified such 13 factors and considered the options / solutions which make cultivation of any crop more reliable and thus can be the basis of sound investment for a profitable business.

Phaedrus - If you have not already looked at this link, check out this posting by vyalathur. It is an easy read, provide basic knowledge on a small / garden scale Hydroponic system. The ā€˜variablesā€™ can be many and ever evolving but this booklet will inform you of the basic things to be understood about the process.

farmnest.com/forum/new-trends-in ā€¦ f-booklet/

Hi Atul,

iā€™m planning to invest in Capsicum cultivation in green house. your insights into usage of cocopeat is great. I would like to know what will be required quantity of Cocopeat for 1 acre? It will be great if you can help me out on this

Hi Phaedrus,

Kaustubh is very much right. There are many resources on the internet which can be very valuable. In fact 40% of my knowledge is because of internet. Problem comes not from lack of knowledge but in fact too much of it. It is one thing to read and try to understand and it is quite different to see if it applies to our environment. To give you an example NFT system has been touted as one of the best system for growing lettuce. Now any reader who reads tons of reports on this will be tempted to go ahead and start one in India. Big mistake. Donā€™t even think about it.

Hi Naveen,

It is difficult to give a correct answer because root volume of each crop is different and thus will have a different need for coco peat. Here is something that may help you though.

5 kg bail of coco peat when expanded with water gives the volume of 50 liters. 8 inch pot that I use for Capsicum has 12 lit volume. In an acre I have 16,000 plants, so my total volume requirement is 192,000 lit of coco peat. Dividing that by 50 lit gives me 3840 kg of coco peat. so you can safely order 4 ton of it for 1 acre. At a cost of Rs. 12 per kg (price i paid including shipping) you will end up paying Rs. 48,000 for coco peat for 1 acre.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi Atul,

Thanks a lot for the info. Really appreciate that. Now let me do my calculations. Will be in touch regarding the same. Also myself and my Co-Brother(who is into floriculture for the past 12 yrs) would like to visit your farm to have a look at the infrastructureā€¦ hope its ok with you.

Hi Atul,

also i need to know any info on your harvest and quality / quantity of the produce.

Thnxs

Average production: 100 ton per acre.
Average year round price: Rs. 40 per kg
Annual Sales approx: Rs. 40 lakhs
Investment Approx: Rs. 35 - 45 lakh per acre (25% subsidy from central govt)
Average operating cost: Rs. 20- 25 lakh lakh. per annum

Quality is expected to be exceptional as we employ good flower/fruit management, good environment and hygiene and a complete nutritious diet for plants. This ensures longer growing season, larger fruits and great taste.

hope this helps.

Take a look at 1 month old plants and flower quality.

One Month Old Plants

Quality of flowers

1 Like

Wow, the pics are amazing!
Atul - how many acres have you started this in?

Hi Atul,

I donā€™t know what I should compliment you forā€¦ For the info u have given or the inspiring project of yours or the wonderful photographs (PS. Photography is one of my hobbies). AWESOME ā€¦ all three! Please can u give me ur address so that i can visit ur farm? Very Very interestingā€¦ I am from Bangalore but my farm is in Chitradurgaā€¦250kms closer to Pune than bangaloreā€¦ is there any restrictions on the temperatureā€¦coz it reaches 36 degrees in summer at my farmā€¦ i think its okā€¦but stillā€¦ ur effort is AWESOMEā€¦!!!

Hi, Forgot the most important questionā€¦ what variety of Capsicum have you cultivated? and coloursā€¦