How to ripen Papaya before plucking from plant

Dear Farmenst friends,

We have 1500 papaya plants and the crop is in bearing currently. Since the bearing, the Papaya fruits are simply growing in size without showing signs of ripening with yellow lines. Even if some fruits are developing yellow lines, their number is too small (around 50 fruits out 1500 plants). This uneven yellowing is resulting in no buyers coming forward for two reasons viz

1. Very few yellow lined fruits
  2. Fruit weight is crossing 2 kg which is not so much desired in the market.

Kindly suggest a method to induce ripening of fruits so that I can get more number of harvestable yellow lined fruits during each cutting which can eventually control the oversize/weight.

Your help in this regard is very much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Guru
guru.3112@gmail.com
+91 9620944466

Papaya fruits are ripen by wrapping it in a News Paper. I have found during 1st harvest fruit size will be more than 2 Kg but gradually it will reduce to 1.5 Kg( 3rd harvest on wards…).

Thanks for the reply Pavan. Wrapping papaya can be done only after plucking them from the tree. But my query is how to speed up ripening while they on the tree.

Regards

Guru

If you do so you have to protect them from birds/bats/squirrils etc.
You are also reducing keeping quality by doing so, Handling transporting will be difficult

why you want to do this? is this for increasing the taste?

Dear Sri sir,

The fruits in my farm are ripening very unevenly i.e., buyers are not willing to buy unless they have atleast 1.5 tons of fruits with 2 or 3 yellow lines. But in my farm only 50 to 60 fruits have yellow lines. So I was wondering if there is any way to induce ripening (preferably natural method) so that I can get more fruits during every cutting with yellow lines to offer to buyer.

Thanks
Guru

See this video, you can try this for very few plants and check the results.

youtube.com/watch?v=FkSZqZztfy0

Dear Sri Guru, When you have 1500 plants, in general, you will get around 400 to 500 kgs of riped papaya fruits for every 3 to 4 days. It is not practicable to get 1 to 1.5 tons riped fruits in one harvest.

Papaya, is a fruit, which should be riped on plant on its own. If cut in unriped stage, the papaya will never ripe after cutting from plant. If yellow spot/strip is found only, the papaya should be cut.

It is not good to give growth hormones/steroids to plants to get forceble ripening and not economical too.

Pl try for local small markets/ryot bazaars for good markets.

best of luck and hope you will get good market for your produce. g.p.rao, farmer

Hai
Increase the level of PHOSPHORUS. In drip. MAP-5 GMS+ 5 GMS DAP /PLANT - FIRST DAY
SECOND DAY SOP -5 GMS+ MAGNESIUM SULPHATE -5 GMS/PLANT BY DRIP
FOLIAR SPRAY
MAP-500 GM+ SOP-500 GM+ MICRO FOOD -200 LITS WATER + RUM -250 ML/200 LITS WATER SPRAY WHOLE PLANT . (REPEAT SAME AFTER 10 DAYS)
THANK YOU
GOOD LUCK

@Biofarms: Thanks for the advice.

What is MICROFOOD and where is it available?

Thanks & Regards

Guru Prasad

Sir,

ripening of papaya fruits can be enhanced by spraying ethrel .01ppm on fruits on plants itself provided ambient temperature is above 20*c.

Hai
Microfood is micronutrient fertilizer. It is available in fertilizet shop.
Never recommending ethrel because a small mistake will give a big loss.
The recommend is more than sufficient to solve your problem.
Do this give ur feed back.
Thank you
Good luck

@Biofarms: Thanks.
Sorry to bother again.

• I hope RUM is alcohol rum or is it some kind of fertilizer?
  • Also how much quantity of micro nutrient should I mix in 200 liters of water?

Regards

Guru Prasad

Hai
It is alchohol.
See my posting
BOOSTING METABOLISM IN PLANTS

THANK YOU
BIOFARMS