How long mahogany takes to grow & mature

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum . I have planted around 100 mahogany sapling in my farm near Hosur ( TN) 3 / 4 yrs back. Now the plants are approx 15 ft high . I was earlier told by the nursery guy who sold me saplings that it’s a hybrid variety and in 15 yrs it will be sale able. Someone told me last week that it takes 50 yrs. I am worried for my investment, time & other resources should not go in vain . Pl guide . Whether in 15/20 yrs I ll get return on my investment as within that period whether the plants will grow & mature enough to be sold.

Dear Mr. Sujitkumar Choudary sir, I have planted 650 plants of Mahagany in my land in Doddaballapur area of karnataka in the year 2009-2010. My observations : plants with sufficient water are growing very well and came to a height of 25 to 30 ft and incidentally it is observed that a shade is also there for those Mahagany plants and reached to a gerth of 10 to 12 inches. Those plants in semi shade and less water availability, came to a height of 12 to 15 ft with a girth of 5 to 6 inches. Few plants with no water (neglcted as drip wont reach properly ) are with only 8 to 10 ft witha negligible girth. My observation says that Mahagani grows well in little lesser Temperatures,shaded and sufficient water is required and dry weather is required ,for its good growth. g.p.rao, farmer

2 Likes

Thank you mr Rao . My plants have grown more or less in the same manner though I don’t have drip irrigation. I wanted to know specifically how long or how many years it will take for mahogany to grow
so that it can be sold. Incidentally my land is near shoolagiri ( Hosur) so climatic conditions are like dodaballpur .

1 Like

Pl also suggest can I put black pepper on mahogany plants or any other commercial creeper . I have left sufficient space between mahogany plants which are now almost 18/20 ft heigh. What type of plants can be planted in the vacanct space . Pl help & guide as I don’t have any knowledge of agriculture / plantation .

Dear Sujitkumar Chowdary sir, Upto my knowledge and gathered information from sources/officials of kerala Forest dept, Mahagany plants gets maturity after 18 years of age and plant can live upto above 100 years. Black pepper creeper can be grown, but only after following the required other parameters. g.p.rao, farmer

Dear all
Where can one get mahogany saplings around Bangalore?

Thanks
Aparna

Check in krishnendranursery.in/Cnt.htm

please can anybody help me,
iam planning to venture in market of MAHOGANY TREE by investing money…do anybody have information regarding its market in karnataka…please reply.

Dear sir
I am requesting you to give your contact details to visit your Mahogany farm

Hybrid Mahagony ???
Never heard that forest plant species are being crossed ???

The three officially recognised Mahogany species are Swietenia humilis (Pacific Coast Mahogany or Mexican Mahogany), Swietenia macrophylla (big-leaf Mahogany) and Swietenia mahagoni (Caribbean Mahogany, Cuban Mahogany, American Mahogany or West Indian Mahogany).

There is one more plant species sold by local nursery people as INDIAN MAHAGONY is actually “Toona ciliata” also called RED CEDAR, TUN , TOONA , MAHALIM etc. in indian vernacular languages .

Toona ciliata was also introduced by British colonial people , as planking wood for making boxes, especially tea boxes. The wood has a pinkish red tinge and reportedly turns darker red with age. First pic is of T. ciliata and second one is Swietenia mahagoni .

Hi Sir
This is nithin from Udupi . I wanted to plant 1000 mahogony in my 2 acre land . I have some doubt about maturity period and market price . Some people are saying it will mature in 12 year and i checked in google 25 years .
I need your valuable advise so i can act accordingly .

Much appreciated .
Thanks

Hi Sir
This is nithin from Udupi . I wanted to plant 1000 mahogony in my 2 acre land . I have some doubt about maturity period and market price . Some people are saying it will mature in 12 year and i checked in google 25 years .
I need your valuable advise so i can act accordingly .

Much appreciated .
Thanks

Sir, Can u please your contact details.

Dear sir, my contact number is 7411119999

thank you sir.you can call me for horticulture crops information and as a farmer , i will share my observations and recommendations to you.

Sir, I am not able to reach you on your mobile. Please let us knoe how can we meet you. Please share contact number.