High Density Mango cultivation

Did any one of you done with High Density Mango plantation. per acre 650 plants.

how is it different from traditional plantation?
Traditional plantation gives good returns or High density plantation give good returns??
is there any success story???
can any one explain the process involved in high density plantation…like land,medicine…etc ?

I am planing to go with totapuri mango plantation.

Please help me with your inputs. thanks

1 Like

Dear Sri tkkumar,

One basic advise is that, the farmer should monitor the high density mango crop very closely. Abcent farmers may not get much success results.

M/s Jain Drip Irrigation company did a high density mango plantation garden in Udumulpet, Tamilnadu ( near Coimbattore ) @ 1,333 plants and 666 plants in around 5 acres each, @ spacing of 1mtr x 3 mtrs and 2 mtrs x 3 mtrs . Visited twice in 2008-09 and 2010-11. Doing it in a successful way. Variety - Alphanso.

It is diffarent when comparing with traditional plantation.
In high density plantation:
Income is more.
risk is more.
Investment is more.
yield waiting period is less.
Close observation required.

Naturally High density plantation gives more profit and of course, with lot of risks

It is not latest technology. It is being in practice from more than a decade. So many farmers of Maharashtra, Telangana,Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka are in practice and are successful and it is a proven technology.

Up to my knowledge most of the farmers went for high density in Alphonso,Bangenapalli, Amrapali and such new hybrids and never came across Thotapuri ( bengalura ) mango. One fact is that this variety mango plant grows very fast and heavily. Mostly in High Density plantation slow/less growing varieties are preferred ( like Amrapali, Alphonso etc )

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

I am from Pen Raigad Maharashtra.
I my self have have planted Ultra high density mango plantation spacing 2mtr x 3mtr in june 2014
Results 10 trees yield 6 mango each.Flowering of 70 trees.
Tree height of 8 to 10 feet of 70% trees attained.
Pruning done this year

Dear Forum Farmer Friends,

Pruning plays a vital role in yielding ,that to regular yielding. Mango plants, in general having a tendency of high yielding one year and will be followed with a low yielding next year. Mango plants branches also are suitable for flowering , only after 4 or 5 months age ( minimum ).

New tender branches of 2 or 3 months old will flower next year only. Hence we, the farmer should give at least a period of 4 to 5 months , for bearing in the coming season, ie; pruning should be taken place at least 5 to 6 months, before flowering season to begin.

Proper pruning is very important in Mango trees, as it allows correct lighting in to the tree canopy properly and good/considerable flowering/fruiting will occour in all the branches.

In densities like 2 mtr x 3 mtr, if plant is properly nurished with an experts advise ,should bear at least 50 and above fruits in 3 rd year cropping season. Nourishing and pest/insect control will have an important role in good yielding.

Selection of mango variety grafts, which are suitable for high density/ultra high density, is also a crucial point and correct suggestions should be taken from Horti Authoritis, to the extent possible.

Hope these with some other suitable steps may help for high and good regular yields.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer