Help is required for a Buffalo Farm!

I am in the process of preparing a project report for a buffalo fattening farm. This is a new venture by a team of 4 including me. Though we are into agricultaral farming like ginger, banana, etc…, our experience in buffalo rearing is quite limited.

As this project was in our mind and discussions for a while. As usual, there were a lot of questions related to the operations and economics of this project. Finally, we decided to kick start this project before the coming monsoon. As the first step, we visited a few agricultural properties last week as we are planning to lease out or buy the land for this purpose. The project will be purely a Buffalo / Cattle fattening unit which will be adopting an integrated farming style (Rabbits, Fish, etc…) from the second year onwards. This is so because we can work focussed in understanding and learning more about the market.

There a a few queries that i have which i wish the experienced members in this industry can help us out with.

1. We are planning to purchase 12 months old buffalo calves and rear them for 8 - 12 months.
    Average weight of a 12 month old calf?
    The average rate for a calf seems to be 4000 - 6000 rupees in Tamil Nadu & Andhra. (Members from AP & TN, please advise)
    Average live weight of a 18 - 24 month old buffalo?

2. Shed area (sq.ft.) required for a buffalo (Loose housing method)

3. How many growing buffalo’s can be fed from 1 acre of fodder?
    Average yearly yeild from 1 acre of fodder
    Average daily intake of green fodder per growing buffalo

Your valuable inputs on this will be highly appreciated.

Consultants who can provide services on turnkey project or consultation basis are welcome.

Thanks.

Dear Jose,
Doing long term activity in leased land is not advisable as it has its own merits and more demerits.
Doing a single centric activity in land is like enjoying DVD option in our laptop. Apart from that there are plenty of options are available in whole laptop, likewise diversification makes difference either to earn or to save.

Q&A,

1. Average weight of a 12 month old calf?
    Nothing to do with its weight but its fat. However it may around 350kg,

The average rate for a calf seems to be 4000 - 6000 rupees in Tamil Nadu & Andhra. (Members from AP & TN, please advise)
Rate is not less than 25k now in any parts.

Average live weight of a 18 - 24 month old buffalo?
About 500kg.

1. Shed area (sq.ft.) required for a buffalo (Loose housing method)
    Either of your choice than 4X4 meters.

2. How many growing buffalo’s can be fed from 1 acre of fodder?
    4 to 5.

Average yearly yeild from 1 acre of fodder,
Can grow up to 50 tones, however it varies from place/practice of cultivation.

Average daily intake of green fodder per growing buffalo.
50kg green fodder, 8kg dry grass/hay along with nutritious feed about 10kgs. Again actual feed intake will depends on its status on that day.

Your valuable inputs on this will be highly appreciated.
If really dedicated to do and survive from it, than do it on your own and can provide completed staff work of your job.

Consultants who can provide services on turnkey project or consultation basis are welcome.
You are well come on this forum to have success.

Hi Swamy,

Thanks for your inputs. But are you referring to dairy buffalos as my project is rearing male buffalo calves for meat exports?

No.