GMO Seeds - what are they?

Hello Members,

What is GMO seeds. Is these are different than originally used seeds. Whether GMO seeds are something do with what popularly known as hybrid seeds?

is then why we called farming as organic farming in which GMO seeds are used ? Is there a way to get all seeds in their native format?

Thanks & Regards

Kailash

Dear Kailash,

Hybrid is a generic term can be used for GMO as well. read the fine prints :slight_smile:

Hybridisation of seeds or livestock is normally done through selective breeding as well. for eg a Desi zebu cow impregnated with Imported breed.
This process is present in nature as well, but rather a slow version.

GMO - Genetic modification Organism.

However in GMO’s case modern science does it in labs by insertion or deletion of genes. This genes usually come from a different species all together. for eg fish gene used in poultry or cotton seeds with pig genes.

Now once the particular variety is developed. This is given a field trail and then seeds or the particular GMO product is sent to various places for further evaluation. I mean to say actually experimenting it on humans and fields before it is fully established.
I say this because DDT once was considered good for humans by FDA. There are many more such examples.
Initially insulin produced for humans were from pig and cows intestine. Insulin from these sources is effective in humans. This as per me is GM substance. Vaccine is also on similar lines. So almost all humans who are vaccinated are products of GMO.

BT crops normally produce toxin in them self so particular type of insects don’t attack. I repeat particular type of insects, so GM crop may get infected tomorrow or may be after few years. who knows, nature keeps evolving.
Vaccine does the sample work on human body. but aren’t humans getting killed with unknow diseases now? When doctors are clueless they term it as autoimmune disorder or allergy.

So it is complete non-sense to say GMO seeds are safe and it will address world’s food security.

Soul reason of farmers killing them self is because of hybrid and GMO seeds(heavy input involved) added with other socio-economic issues. Getting back to nature is the only solution. which is only possible after a major catastrophe.

you can read this wonderful post on GMO and food security.
forbes.com/sites/bethhoffman … -bad-idea/

Hello Anoop ,

I was expecting the ending lines of your reply. I am in discussion with many farmers specially from European countries and they are started planting native seeds i.e. Non-GMO.

Some times when I go for buying veggies I will seldom get native seed stuff which taste much better than usually available hybrid grows.

Last help, please let me know where I can buy these seeds ? Non Genetically Modified Organism. Trying to go back to Nature :slight_smile:

Thanks & Regards
Kailash

Hello Kailash,

Since you are from pune. YOu should be able to get hold of native variety when you go near to adivasi settlements.
One I remember is Bhimashankar.
I have been to this place few times. when you trek down towards Karjat side. This trail is used by many, but very risky. You will find few family on the way cut off from the whole world, no roads lead to their houses. Three direction covered by mountain and one side is steep valley. They have indian cattle and many native seeds. Do check with them. I am sure they will provide you the seeds. I remember cucumber 6 times the size of normal and had thick juicy water oozing all because of non disturbed soil. But it is almost 5 years back, so not sure. Also when you trek all the way down towards karjat side you will find some more farmers with Indian cattle and native veg variety of seeds(but they can be contaminated) on the borders of the Bhimashankar hill.

Another place is outskirts of kalavantin-durg near panvel. Some farmers still have native variety.

you can also look for some great seeds on this patch. Road which leads to Vaitarna dam from wada side. This road will give you a much detail of unspoken India, I mean the real India. bullocarts, mud houses etc. Some are steeped in poverty who don’t stick to old practices. But lot of great farmers on the way. be careful of leopards.
maps.google.co.in/maps?q=vaitar … n&t=h&z=13

I am sure there are many such places. But it’s all in secluded pockets and disappearing fast.

But I would suggest look for local variety as they are trained over the years as per the climatic condition.

hope this helps.