Ginger Plantation - Info Required

Hi, quick introduction of myself. My name is Chandan and I am working in one of the MNC IT firm in Noida as a manager.My age is 34 years. I am planning to move my career into farming as I can see there are lots of scope also I can get in touch with PM Modi’s programs like Make in India , Adoption of Village etc. I am earning 90 K/month but now a days not satisfied with job also would like to do some innovative work and that’s the reason would like to move into this field. I am basically from Bihar ( Muzaffarpur - 70 KM from Patna ). I would like to start my farming from my village which is 15 KM from Muzaffarpur.

Initially, after the research I am planning to start the Ginger cultivation from 2016 as I can see that the best time of Ginger cultivation is in between 1st week of May till 20th June ( Akshaya Tritiya to Hanuman Jayanti). I have completed below analysis:

1. SWOT Analysis
  2. Present,Future,How to achieve and Results.
  3. Brainstorming Q&A ( Personal, Agriculture and Marketing )
  4. Process Flow Diagram ( Phase I - Land Finalization and testing of soil , Phase II - Rhizome Selection and Plantation, Phase III - Rhizome Treatment , Phase IV - Mulching , Phase V - Compost and Fertilizers etc )
  5. High Level Project Plan
  6. High Level Cost Benefit analysis etc

Few important facts about my project :

1. I don’t have land , planning to take the land on lease ( minimum 2 acre and maximum 3 acre ) for minimum 3 Years
  2. Will do cultivation of Ginger
  3. I don’t have any experience of farming ( to be very honest I never visited my village till now )
  4. I can take risk of 2.5 to 3.5 lack .
  5. I can say that I have gathered good theoretical knowledge of Ginger plantation through internet and various articles but zero practical knowledge

My queries are as follows:

1. Can I start the the farming of Ginger in my village ( 15 KM away from Muzaffarpur, towards Patna ) ? As per my initial research the soil looks OK for ginger cultivation.
  2. If the Ph Value of Soil will be less than 6 or greater than 6.5 is it advisable to go for this project ?
  3. What next crop which I can use after ginger in year 2018 ? I would like to keep ginger underground for 14 - 15 months even though ginger matured in 7-8 months.
  4. Can I keep ginger underground for 14-15 months and what precautionary measures I am suppose to take? If there is possibility of heavy rain during the mansoon is this advisable ?
  5. Which is the best rhizome of Ginger for Muzaffarpur ? Can I go ahead with Nadia rhizome ? or what is the 2nd best option ? I am aware of rhizome category for Ginger ( like Suprabha, Survi, Mahima , Rio-de-J etc ) but which is best for my place ?
  6. From where I can buy Nadia or other good rhizome of Ginger which is near to my village ?
    7.How I can approach to super markets like Big Bazar or Reliance Fresh or Vishal for the sell of my ginger? Any fixed process for that ?

Thank You So much in advance for all your assistance

Thanks and Regards
Chandan

Thank you Mr.Chandan Csc for your Initiation in switching over to Farming. However I am suggesting you to switchover from Job after getting some Fruits out of the Farming. You can get this Farming done with your Kith and kin until such time. Don’t think otherwise it is only an Advice. I am clearing your doubts in seriatum as follows:

1. Can I start the the farming of Ginger in my village ( 15 KM away from Muzaffarpur, towards Patna ) ? As per my initial research the soil looks OK for ginger cultivation.

Kindly inform us about your Soil.Is it Red Soil or Black Soil. Red Soil is Good and however Black soil is also OK. But there should not be water logging at any Stage.

1. If the Ph Value of Soil will be less than 6 or greater than 6.5 is it advisable to go for this project ?

pH Levels are OK GOOD. Kindly Provide the soil Sample Report for further Advise .

1. What next crop which I can use after ginger in year 2018 ? I would like to keep ginger underground for 14 - 15 months even though ginger matured in 7-8 months.

No Problem can keep provided there should not be Rains/Water. Better to keep in the Cold Storage. Some times it may tend to root rot in the Soil.

1. Can I keep ginger underground for 14-15 months and what precautionary measures I am suppose to take? If there is possibility of heavy rain during the mansoon is this advisable ?

It is Not advisable because of the Rains. Once raining it will sprout and tend to root rot also.

1. Which is the best rhizome of Ginger for Muzaffarpur ? Can I go ahead with Nadia rhizome ? or what is the 2nd best option ? I am aware of rhizome category for Ginger ( like Suprabha, Survi, Mahima , Rio-de-J etc ) but which is best for my place ?

It is Better to Consult your Horticulture Officer of your Area

1. From where I can buy Nadia or other good rhizome of Ginger which is near to my village ?

The Ginger seed be avilable in the Months of January to March. Afterwards it may not be available.

Here in Hyderabad,Tropical Climate are Growing Mhima, Maran, Suprabha, suruchi Varieties which are giving GOOD Yield here in Hyderabad.

7.How I can approach to super markets like Big Bazar or Reliance Fresh or Vishal for the sell of my ginger? Any fixed process for that ?

You have to approach the Purchase Team of the Concerned HyperMarket.Here in Hyderabad Reliance is having a Purchase Depot nearing to Farmers. They will Procure Directly From the Farmers duly checking the Quality.

Important thing is that Ginger needs Shade . Kindly inform what any intercropping arrangements you are making for the Shade to Crop. You enquire your Nearest Horticulture Officer about suitability of the Variety. Regarding Shade also ascertain from your Horticulture Officer or the Farmers growing Ginger. It is better to go for Papaya or Banana as intercrop for shading. There is a lot of Demand for Papaya and Banana at Noida.

Best wishes fro Chandan!

@Vasudhafarms:
Thanks for your untiring effort in guiding enthusiasts like us. Just wanted to seek your advise on the lines of inter-crop which you suggested for shade. Will Moringa PKM1 be a good bet as inter-crop for shade considering comparatively ease of cultivation, low cost of cultivation/maintenance, better returns?
Please share your inputs.

Thanks & Regards

Guru Prasad