G9 banana tree height

Dear Members,

I planted 2400 nos. G9 TC banana trees on last June. I saved 900 out of them after rainy season, which was very harsh last year.
My problem is that after 10 months of plantation, the 40% of banana height more than 5 feet, 30% 5 feet to 3 feet and rest 30% less than 3 feet.
Will those tree bear fruit? If yes, after how long I will get fruit from 3 feet and 2 feet plants.
Please suggest.
Thanks in advance.

Siddhartha.

TC plants will grow uniformly, unless you provide inappropriate watering and nutrient.

It is very strange. your plants should have shown bunch by now and should have at least 8-10ft tall.

Is it the same plot that you posted pictures few months ago?

similar issues with me,i had planted around 50 G9 some are 5 feet some are reluctant to grow even with equal care saplings were brought from GKVK bangalore. soil tested no issues with soil, good sunlight, average wind.

Thank you Siddhartha in hearing your Problem.

Definitely there is Problem in Developing T-9 Banana in the TC Lab. You might have taken Bill from them.The Main Characteristic of TC Banana is that it should grow Uniformly. If you have Provided Irrigation , Nutrients like Manure etc to all the Plants equally, there must be a defect in the Process of Tissue Culture Banana Saplings. You consult the supplier and ask them to see your Field ands get the reasons for the same. If you Provide the Pictures/Images of the Plants in your Farm, our forum member can judge whether it is fault of the seedlings or your maintenance Problem. If it is considered as the Fault of the Lab who have supplied the TC Saplings , which can be Judged by your Horticulture Officer , take a certificate from the Officer , if the fault is of the Lab you go to Consumer Forum for getting Compensation. In this regard you can take the Assistance of our Forum Members too.
MANNE.SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,
Hyderabad.

Hello Friends,

I had planted a few G9 Banana TC sapling, bought from a small home garden nursery in Hyderabad, in my apartment where I live, very little soil but plenty of sunshine and air a little bit of organic compost, neem and groundnut cake, today I harvest the bunch, 100 super sized bananas, 30 kg in weight.

George

Yes Mr. Sri.
This is the same plot.
I have also the test report of soil pH-5.6; OC-0.14; EC-0.5; Phosphorous- 0.4; K-110 kg/ht.
Please advice the solution.

Hi Siddharta,

Even I am seeing irregular heights among my 200+ G9 banana plants planted last Sept. I irrigate them through drip and fertigate them naturally by jiwamritha once a month. Just keeping my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Regards,
agri_lover

Thank youSir,

Pictures are not like this .In your Field you have to take the Pictures/images Row-wise where Problems arises. Suppose out of the Row ONE Plant Grows well and onee plant beside it may not have Growth. On seeing the Pictures/images of your Field, Our Forum Members may decide about it is the Problem of Maintenance or the Problem in seedling/Sapling. Video Clippings of your Farm may help More
MANNE.SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,

Thanks for your reply.
I am attaching photos.
please view and give me suggestion.
will these plants able to bear fruit? if yes, when?
shall i keep these plant or replace these with new plants?

Thank you Sir,

On seeing the Pics it seems to be Poor Maintenance,Unless sees the field one cannot decide about the Quality of the Seedlings/Saplings or maintenance fault.

MANNE.SN,
Vasudga Green Farms,

1 Like

In picture it looks to me like bunchy top (BBTV). However it is difficult to diagnose, my advice is, take your nearest horticulture officer and investigate it in depth.

This may help you to diagnose yourself
orissa.gov.in/e-magazine/Orissar … e78-80.pdf

I have applied 100gm DAP and 50 gm MOP with 10kg of FYM during plantation.
Once in 45 days I have applied 50gm of Urea and 50gm of MOP and found undergrowth plants till 10 months.
Please suggest me if these plant will bear fruit.

Thanks for your suggestion and pdf attachment. Seeing the symptom, I can assure that the banana tree are not affected by BBTV.
I have applied 100gm DAP and 50 gm MOP with 10kg of FYM during plantation.
Once in 45 days I have applied 50gm of Urea and 50gm of MOP and found undergrowth plants till 10 months.
Please suggest me if these plant will bear fruit.[quote=sri2012]
In picture it looks to me like bunchy top (BBTV). However this difficult to diagnose, my advice is, take your nearest horticulture officer and investigate it in depth.

This may help you to diagnose yourself
orissa.gov.in/e-magazine/Orissar … e78-80.pdf
[/quote]

Well I think its depend upon the strategy that you use to increase the height of banana.

what kind of strategy you are suggesting?

I have planted around 5000 of them and faced the same issue (even now the plants do not have uniform growth). Similar to you I had provided same amount of fertilizer from the beginning.

Later on I provided more urea to the underdeveloped plants and I saw that the growth rate increase.

Another important thing is to provide adequate waterand keep the plot ‘cool’. In couple of my plots (which did not have shade) I noticed that due to scotching sun and due to delay in watering (I do flood irrigation) , the leaves had turned yellow and growth had stagnated for some days. After providing water couple of times the new leaves that were emerged were all normal and green.

Good luck.

-Biju

Thanks Mr. Biju.
Hope that your plants grow well and you get good fruit from it.
We have similar problem.
Hence, I want to discuss by phone and sort out this problem with you.
Could you please give me your mobile no.
Regards,
Siddhartha.

Sent it as a personal msg. Feel free to call me up to discuss.

-Biju

I have seen the entire correspondence along with banana plant’s photos and am of the view that the soil has remained nearly dry,covered with grass/ undergrowth of unknown weeds.The plants are nearly famished due to poor upkeep.The planter is suggested to prepare the soil well and provide copious of water in channels.The drip irrigation has failed since the water has evaporated faster, rather than reaching the roots of banana saplings.The upkeep desires proper clearance of undergrowth/weeds,timely watering,application of manures etc.For growing banana one should see the availability of water first.In case water can not be arranged,do not plant bananas and kill the saplings.Drip irrigation is appreciated if roots have got sufficient moisture in soil or else make the quantum of drops fall at faster rates.Improper drip fall with soil not getting wet has got no relevance.It is suggested to make deep channels for rainwater to fill them so that banana plants get plenty of water.Also do not run for chemical manure,it has tendency to burn plants if irrigation is not sufficient.It will be better if you can put good rotten organic manure along the banana plants.It is taxing but to get the fruits you will have to do penance for your lapses committed previously.Pl contact me if you do not get results even if after following my guidance.I shall be available at e mail:rcdixit@hotmail.com

Regarding G9 hight the possable reasons are
1)There are good number of verities in g9, which grows in various hights and possibly they got mixed up intentionally or unintentionally,
2) If you use ratoon first time is ok, after that it shows original colours. so use from nursery always.
3)some nurcery uses third party to develop plants, causing mixup.
4)If plants supplied by govt depts always expect the unexpected, hope you understand.
regards
rajan

1 Like