For "weekend" agri project, (dis)advantages with different labour options

Planning to start a new fruit plantation in ~15Acers land (yet to finalize the fruit(s) ), I am working in IT and am pretty much busy the entire week, I can only visit on Weekends. Plan to have couple of cows with primary reason of manure

Given above situation, can you please share your experiences, challenges, advantages with the following types of labour.

1. Local labour visiting the farm daily
  2. Local labour staying in the farm house
  3. Non Local but from same state
  4. Non Local from different state

I have pretty much have at least one family for each type, but am confused. Seeking guidance from your experience.

Thanks
Shashi

I suggest you to opt for Bhaskar Save model for your fruit plantation.

You need at least one person in the farm to take care of things especially for fruit plantation type of farms. First of all, you need to have a fence either Natural or any other fence. This will/can restrict entry of animals into your farm. Secondly, a caretaker is required to see that nobody sneaks in or allows their cattle to sneak in. The caretaker is jus there as a deterrent or if required to ensure humans or cattle once sneaked can be made to move out.

In your case, Local labour staying in the farm house is the appropriate option. There are several advantages and disadvantages in each of the options you have mentioned.

1. Local labour visiting the farm daily - Staying at night in the farm is required especially for fruit farms. This option is good only during the harvesting, deweeding, manuring or similar types of work.
  2. Local labour staying in the farm house - Already discussed. The advantage in this particular case is he will know the local people well and he may know the required persons like electrician, plumper etc.
  3. Non Local but from same state - He may not know the local people well and this can be a disadvantage.
  4. Non Local from different state - Similar to 3rd option and one more thing is he may or may not know the local language and this can be a further disadvantage.

Whichever option you choose, monitoring is very important.

Best of Luck!!!

Like your thoughts on each category, here is what I was thinking

1. Local labour visiting the farm daily

2. Local labour staying in the farm house
    Attendance will be issue especially because the owner is away and will visit only on weekends
    Possibility of conflict of interest

3. Non Local but from same state
    They does not have option but to stay in, atleast the physical presence is taken care
    Does have advantage of taking support if required without any language barrier

4. Non Local from different state
    Advantage of not getting contaminated with local politics
    disadvantage of language to resolve issue or when working with local labour

Does this make sense

My comments inlineā€¦