This morning one of the article on Kannada news paper caught my attention, it was about biodiversity of Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore campus.
Article had below points
prajavani.net/article/%E0%B2 … F%E2%80%99
- 30 years back 1.5 hectares of land was allotted for a feasibility study of trees which grow exclusively in western ghats under the guidance of Bharath Ratna CNR Rao.
- 500 nos of 49 different verities trees were planted(now the number is 22000), result is now it has a micro climate of 2 degree less than the city.
- Ground water is available in subsurface i.e. 15-20 feet.
- Prior to plantation this land was filled with parthaenium, and other common bushes of Deccan plateau.
- The land is now covered with leaf litter, the result is soil is porous . (This is what Sri. Palekarji have been telling)
This is a live demo that mulching creates a porous soil and improves fertility and ground water. Please comment your views