Feedback on Deejay Coconut varieties

Deejay updates
Honeymoon period is over
I am giving good care now,fertigation both compost and chemical
Watering is alternate days through drip,good care overall but disappointed in yield , if each bunch has more than 15 nuts,the bunch is not holding and falling off
Day before yesterday 3 trees were uprooted due to wind and roots are not going deep hardly few feets
Deejay trees are not strong so don’t even think of planting win windy areas
I have windbreaker trees all around

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this. i too have planted DJ. Planted them 2 around around 2 years ago. Most are growing well. Still not reached the yielding stage.
I too have issues with uprooting (but this is common with coconut and areca nut tress). My native plants too get uprooted time to time. Additionally I have rhino beetle attacks. but managing them alright.

Could you please share the following info - Farm location, Age and variety of DJ sapling

Thanks
Alex

Farm is near Halebeedu of Hassan dist

1 Like

Terrible sight, this!

Deejay sampoorna and deejay Pushkala(the one in image is Pushkala variety)
Plants are 6 years old
As I had posted in my earlier in 2019 coconuts are easy to chop
that’s not all, if more force is used while dehusking, nuts are cracking and shelf life also less compared to local nuts
If you go through my previous posts,you can see me happy with deejay initially but as time lapsed, I am really unhappy with deejay variety
Not at all suitable for windy regions . I will not recommend it even in wind safe regions

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.
To mitigate the uprooting issue you can try inercropping between coconut trees, preferably with those having tap root system. These will keep soil firm and roots will intermesh with coconut tree thus giving support below soil level. Mostly nutmeg is recommended. But you can try cocoa and coffee (robusta)

Also try selling tender coconut initially and wait for tree to mature, the shell cracking may disappear. But do consult an expert. It could be a nutrition issue too.

Thanks and good luck.

Can you share your contact number,so that we will discuss

Hi sir, good morning… your suiarr very good,can you share your contact number so that we can discuss.