Farm Surveillance for animals

Hi All,

I just want know what are all the surveillance technique that can be used in our farms with today’s technology.

Issues:

1. If the farm is more than 50+ acres
  2. Some times we cannot go deep into the densely cultivation plants

Real Issue:
One of my friend is having agree land of 5 acres and it is very near to forest. He do have the electric fencing around his farms. The issue is electric fence will be inactive during day time and active only in Night time. But the Wild Pig is entering his Sugarcane farms during Day time and stay there till we cut the sugarcane. Sugarcane field will be very dense so he is not able to go inside and check always.

Solution:

1. I suggest him to use Heat sensing camera to find the animals in the night time
  2. Aerial surveillance using remote Helicopter king of things

Any solutions/suggestions please?

Thanks,
Dhana.

Installing a chain-Link fence will (I am pretty sure) be much cheaper than installing multiple Thermal vision Equipment (which is way more expensive than CCTV cameras) to cover 5 acres! (Infra Red LED based night vision cameras are a fraction of the cost of refrigerant based thermal imaging equipment) Besides, heat from the sun (day time), combined with tall sugarcane to mask the heat signature of the pigs will render thermal vision pretty much useless. And even if a pig was located… one would have to chase them out from that thick growth!

Your friend should think on the lines of not letting the pigs in at all, OR (some folks might not like this) shooting a few pigs down to scare the others!

Hi Dhanasekar,

Surveillance cameras, as the name says only assist in surveys. Once you spot a wild hoard how are you planning to expel the animal?

Incurring expenditure on surveillance equipment’s is one thing, but would it really serve the basic purpose i.e to wile away the animals? I doubt.

Rather than this approach, why dont you check with the nearest forest office to see if they have any objections to lay electric border fence. If they permit you for having one, electric or solar fence, have it ‘F’ type designed.

Also,

“The issue is electric fence will be inactive during day time and active only in Night time” - why do you say so?

@Sanjay

He says the land borders near forest area. Shooting wild animals could be considered offence.

Regards,

Shooting wild boar is not that easy, experience hunters also find it difficulty in shooting.You need a rifle to shoot a wild boar, besides it is offense. Small bullets can just make small hole but cannot penetrate.
it has venegnce if you shoot it will rush on you if you shoot from front side. hunters shoot its testicles(for this you can use double barrel gun) or other sensitive parts from the behind. They errect their thick hair like needles when they sense humans, if shooter dont know this, he shoots the hair(thinking that it is the body) and boar escapes unhurt.
They are not like anyother animals make sound and shooe them away, they get accustomed very soon.
So shooting cannot solve problem.

Electric fencing, spreading human hair around the boundary, spraying human urine, spraying tiger urine on the boundary, digging trench next to the fencing can control to some extent.

Last sunday I visited a farm, they have same problem, they are Jains by religion. They are living with harmony(take no action)with all animals. They have heaps of vermicomost, boar comes and digs to eat earthworms. They dont care, they say when they dig the heap is displaced the vermicompost gets aerated and becomes dry. it is lighter to trasport. They have avoided all crops which boar is interested.

Hi Dhana,
in our area groundnut and sugarcane farmers run a steel wire just 1 feet above the ground across the perimeter of the farm .
Wild animals are scared of it and try to avoid it. I have also seen farmers running tape of old video cassets, plastic ribons with bright color etc across the boundary which is very much cheap .

Please do not even think of hurting any wild animal, its a non bailable offense .
I dont think surveillance cameras will be an economical option . You can even bring down the expense of solar fencing by using just energizer and running few wires .

Recently I have red in newspaper that a solapur based pesticide company came up with granules that you have to spread across the perimeter and due to its strong odor wild animals stay away for atleast 2-3 weeks . But personally I will not prefer these chemicals.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant

@saravanakumargcses
Electric fence will be switched off in Day time due to

1. During Day time near by People or other’s Cow/Sheep might touch the fence
  2. Cost of electricity

@ppb
I’m not going to hurt any animals.

I just want to know how are we using today’s technology in Farms for Surveillance

Thanks,
Dhana.

You should keep your fence on at all times. It runs on battery so what is the problem with cost of electricty? Battery charging will not consume much power.
Also you should not let people or cows near your farm, they should be aware of the fence, if they touch they will get shock and should not come near it again. As it is, they have no business touching your fence.

Instead of chain link mesh, I can suggest cheaper alternative. Use shadenet 75%, make 3 feet strips and tie it to the fence from bottom. Then the bottom part of net should be buried in mud so that it becomes tight. So you will have 2.5 feet shadenet along the perimeter of your farm. Turn off the electric fencing for these lines. Wild pigs are immune to fence electricity, barb wire and any other obstacle. The idea is it should no be able to put its head inside the boundary, once the head passes it will make sure whole body passes. Shade net is cheaper alternative to steel and will give you life of 3+ years. We are using for 1 year and grow pig loving crops like groundnut, maize etc and have managed to control even when neighboring farms have been attacked.

Try it, shade net costs around Rs. 1.25 to 1.5 per sqft.

Good luck.
Nikhil

1. Tie thick binding wire around the farm 1 foot above ground.
  2. Erect poles (3-4 feet height) and hang gunny bags on it.
  3. Tie old sarees (touching the ground) around the boundary.
  4. Spread hair/urine around the farm.
  5. Make pits (3-4 feet depth) and keep plastic barrels and place food items in it. Usually the pigs fall face down first into it and cannot come back up.

I have tried #1, #2 and #4 and they seem to have helped.

Do these techniques also help keep away Neelgai??

Thanks;
Sujay

Hi,

I am a farmer based in Ajmer, Rajasthan and we too have installed Solar fencing around around land. But it is completely ineffective for now and neelgai is continously entering our farm.

I have heard about putting shinning tapes around the boundary - this scare aways the neelgai. Does any one knows where to get this from ? I heard Kerala agricultural university developed some tapes of this type

thanks
Deepak

Hi everybody,
Last November, visited GKVK Krishi Mela in Blore and there i saw a stall on Quad Copter (drone) on enquiry i was told that it helps in farm surveillance, taking pictures for identifying pest and disease, and manpower monitoring. it takes clear picture up to 1 feet close and can be stopped midair for any observations. it has a 1 hour continuous flying ability and costs 1 Lac. the person attending the stall gave me this no 9945211059- Mr. Tejomaiye. pl try talking to him and share the info for others benefit.

Thanks and best wishes.
Kashinath B C

Hi Dhana,

I read an Agriculture officer interview sometime back, as per him the following are some simple remedies you can try

1. Egg mix of 20 ml mix in 1 liter water and spray on the borders. This needs to be repeated once in few weeks after the odor effect goes down

2. Plant 4 layers of Caster seeds on all the borders

3. Make sounds to scare them away, I think you can use the lost cost radio sets and tune to a channel which streams round the clock

4. Use pet dogs who chase away any outsiders

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Srini

We have Neelgai and wild pigs problem in our area of cultivation. Just wanted to say that all responses in this thread are extremely useful. Thank you all.

I picked up this from Kannada Agri Magzine. It was the cover story. Check link
grus.co.in/m3inaction.html

This company has developed a device which costs 17.5K which will repel birds and animals. They have sold few thousands of this device.

We have most suitable project for the area/farms which are adjoin to the Forest or having Wild/Domestic animals problems.
Aromatic Oil Project- RRL-CN-5
Dr Ashok Shahi, Ex Scientist, RRL Jammu and his team has developed RRL-CN-5 Grass after 8 years of Research & Development, which is Superior to Pamarosa and other Aromatic grasses in terms of Fresh herbage and its Oil quality (Geraniol 65-70% and Geranyl acetate 10-20% ) and Quantity (4 to 6kg per Ton of grass)and is being grown across the India like Jammu, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu. It is observed that oil recovery is better in humid and warm climate. The Oil recovery of RRL-CN-5 in Gujarat is around .5 to .6% (5to 6 kg, even 10 kg is also notice per Ton of Grass), hence this crop can be grown very well in Maharashtra also.
Drought tolerance value of this grass is 9% means it can be taken as rain fed crop- 8 to 10 Ton herbage can easily be obtained from two cuttings which can give 30 to 35 kg of Oil which amounts to Rs. 27,000 (Rs.900/kg X 30kg = 27,000)
Fly ash- Dr Mohini Saxena, Ex Scientist, RRL Bhopal, has conducted trials of RRL-CN-5 on Fly ash and found increase of Oil content up to 10 to 20 % because of increased micronutrient and water holding capacity of soil.
Soil Erosion - By cultivation of this grass soil erosion can be checked, instead of planting Vetiver grass solely for soil erosion this grass can give additional income in the form of Oil (Rs.27,000 per acre per year).
Saline Soil/Water- This Grass can also be grown in the wide range of Saline & Alkaline soil & water ( It can tolerate Saline soil up to 8.5 pH and water up to 2500 TDS.) area where other crop can Not Sustain.
This Aromatic Oil Project can be implemented in below modes.
(1) Fully irrigated area of 12 to 15 acre, at one place or within 5km radius.
(2) Semi irrigated (up to March) 20 to 30 acre, at one place or within 5km radius.
(3) Rain fed more than 30 acres, at one place or within 5km radius. This project can be
implemented by ATMA through cluster of farmers.
(4) On the farms adjoin to forest or having wild animal problems.
(5) Un cultivated/Barren lands also can be brought under this Project.
How to implement- Raise the Nursery of one acre for further plantation of 12 to 15 acres. Nursery can be raised in Feb-March and Jun-July and re plantation can be done in Jun-July and Sep-October, first option is far better and suitable.
Advantage over Pamarosa- Oil recovery is more (.1 to .2%), re plantation is easy as it is done by Slips which helps maintain Genetic purity, there is no seed formation in this variety. RRL-CN-5 Oil is only the source of Geranyl acetate (15-20%) which is in high demand by industry.
Advantage over Citronella- No diseases, herbage is constant as compare to Citronella (Citronella herbage after 2 years drops down), Oil rate is quite high and almost stable.
Economics - The fresh herbage (Grass) yield is 20 to 25 Ton per acre per year and the Oil yield is 100 to 125 kg and rate of this oil is Rs.1,000 to Rs.1,200 per kg. Rs.80,000 to Rs.1,25,000 income can be generated from one acre. And expenses are not more than Rs.20 to 25 thousand per acre.
Additional advantage of this Project-

1. Plantation once for 5 to 6 years.
  2. Only 3 to 4 labor can maintain 15 to 20 acre plot.
  3. No risk of Wild and Domestic animal and the theft.
  4. No much effect of Heavy or excess or less rains.
  5. Money flow every after two month.
  6. No Pest and disease.
    Note- Net profit on 15 acre plot is Rs.50,000 to Rs.80,000 per acre per Year on Average.
    Pacific Agro, Nagpur, provides complete CONSULTANCY on Turn Key Project up to the Marketing of the Oil at best prize. Call- 094059 14624, 094228 81280, 097301 07163 or Write- www.aromediherbs.com.
    For Specific inquiry of RRL-CN-5 please write to