Farm Fencing options and cost for 10 acre land

Dear Gurus

I’m looking for options for fencing my 10 acre land. Have received quotes for Solar Fencing, but a little skeptical with it. I want a rather safe and cost-effective fencing to be done to the farm. Can you please suggest me the best and cost effective methods other than live fencing?

My farm is located in Pallikonda, near Vellore in Tamilnadu. It is 25 kms from Vellore on the Chennai-Bangalore highway. Any references in this area is very much welcome.

The farm is bordered with general pathway on the entire length on one length and breadth, has other agricultural lands on the other sides. Wild Boars are the main menace and cattle/human trespassing also need to be contained.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Regards
Deepak Prasanna S

Farm%20land%20boundaries

Hi Deepak,
About 4 years ago I fenced my 3 acres land. It also had a irregular shape. I opted for stone pillars 7’ height with barbed wire (we used Tata wires). Each pillar was set a distance of approx 8’ from the next. There are 4 strands of barbed wire and a cross between every 2 pillars. We have an iron gate, fabricated by a local fabricator, which is mounted on 2 stone pillars which are finished in cement plaster.
I remember the stone pillars costed us Rs 170 each including delivery. The workmen took Rs 75 for each post which included digging for and fixing the poles and attaching the barbed wires. We used solar wires for binding and not the regular binding wires. I don’t remember the price of the barbed and binding wires. I think we bought 250 pillars but didn’t use all of them. Our total perimeter is about 1700 running feet.
Our fence is still standing. So I am happy with the result. The downside is the neighbours send their goats inside the farm by spreading the wires. Hence, my mango trees were damaged.
It took about 6/7 days with 5 people working.
We have other farms on the East, West and North and road on the South.
I think I have covered most of the salient points. If you need more information let me know. You can call me on 98450 87034 preferably before 2:00 PM.
Cheers,
Ronnie

2 Likes

I fenced my 17 acre land myself last year (using local labours, 7ft cement poles, tata barbed wire, 1 pole every 7-8 ft, 5 parallel lines and two cross lines between two poles). The total running feet was 4200ft and it costed me around 3lakh I think. Barbed wire costed me 83rs when I started and was probably 98rs when I finished the task.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your answers.
I noticed that the availability of various pole options, pricing and ease of execution depends on the location also. I am looking to fence a similar odd shaped property of about 10 acres situated in Karnataka. It is about 150km from Hyderabad near Zahirabad. Are there any members in this group aware of contractors or material contractors who can take up fencing there? I prefer stone poles but the area doesn’t have them. Even cement poles available in the area are below average quality.

The objective is to mainly avoid intruders, encroachment and grazing animals (no sandalwood or other expensive items to protect). Bio fencing may not work as the water availability is a little low.

Please advise…

Can I call you regarding the farm-fencing-options-and-cost, My site is in Thiruvallur near to chennai.

Hi Ronnie, Can I call you regarding the farm-fencing-options-and-cost, My site is in Thiruvallur near to chennai.