Farm fencing in Pune

I’m asking here hoping to get latest advice from all you experts and fellow compatriots:

I have a 10 acre land (roughly 6000 feet perimeter) near Panshet in Pune. I would like to fence the entire perimeter. The land is a mountainside so quite sloped.

I have the following queries

1. What is better concrete poles or stone poles.
  2. What should be the ideal distance between poles and how far should the stays be?
  3. Should we use 12/12 barbed wire or 14/14 barbed wire
  4. Please suggest suppliers for poles, wire, cement etc. in Pune
  5. What should be the benchmark rates for poles, wire and cement?

Please find my answers below:

1. What is better concrete poles or stone poles
    [Kou] I prefer iron angles for poles. These are way durable than concrete and much easier to install than stone. Easily available with consistent quality. The distance between poles can be kept larger in case of angles. Recommend to use 1.5" inches.

2. What should be the ideal distance between poles and how far should the stays be?
    [Kou] Depends on the fencing. If you are using barbed wire, then the distance can be larger. If you are opting for mesh then the distance needs to be shorter. It can be 12 feet in the first case and 10 feet in the later. Selection of angle, wire gauge, mesh size, land and soil, quality of work, running perimeter (straight or too crooked) can influence this.

3. Should we use 12/12 barbed wire or 14/14 barbed wire
    [Kou] I prefer a mesh. Mesh can really keep out wild animals, domestic cattle/sheep etc. It also depends on your need. If it is just a means for demarcation then barbed wire will do.

4. Please suggest suppliers for poles, wire, cement etc. in Pune
    [Kou] Incidentally, TATA has readymade mesh, barbed wires etc. You can also buy wires and get the mesh done. Might be slightly cheaper.

5. What should be the benchmark rates for poles, wire and cement?
    [Kou] This is an approximation. For 70+ grade wire, 2 1/2 " mesh, 5 feet high, 1 1.2" angle poles (6 1/2’ feet) the running cost per feet should come to about 130-140 INR.
    The market keeps changing so I might be off by a 10 - 20 or something.

This is a cost near Pune.

There are other considerations as well:

1. Soil if black, needs deep and better grouting.
  2. A small iron rod needs to be welded or passed through a drilled hole at the end of that is being grouted for stability. Place stones on this cross member.
  3. After every ten poles you need an angular support.
  4. Mesh/barbed wired to be installed only when the grouting is completely done and concrete has well settled. Contractors like to hasten.
  5. Treatment of the angles with primer and silver oxide. Ensure multiple coats.
  6. Discuss beforehand with the contractor whether he is going to fix the mesh with the help of clips, nut bolting or tack welding. Tack welding, if not done properly, comes apart.

Please evaluate if you have an opportunity to bio fence as well or some portions. It will bring down the cost.

Hope this helps.

Kou

1 Like

Thank you so very much for your inputs. Is bio fencing really cheaper? I thought it is very expensive given that you need to water the plants etc. what do you recommend - Sagar goti or something else ?