ESSENTIALS OF MORINGA FARMING IN INDIA
To clarify doubts of many hundred drumstick farmers from Odhisa and MP who keep calling me over phone , I write this post .
- Avoid sowing moringa seeds in clay soil , during heavy rain , excessively wet soil .
2.Ensure drainage , choose any well drained soil , weed free cultivation in early stage
3.Pinch off growing point of central stem in about 60 days after sowing seeds when plants are about 75 cms height .
4.In case of drip irrigation 4 lit water per tree per day is enough
5.Always sow 2-3 treated seeds per hill in problem area and retain 1 or 2 strong plants and remove weak or poorly germinated plants in one month after sowing .
6.Spray panchagavya @3% or GA3 hormone@20 ppm in about 90 days after sowing to induce heavy flowering in moringa .
- Spray neem oil @ 5 ml in one lit water or emamectin benzoate @0.5 ml in one lit water as preventive spray against pod fly or leaf caterpillar
- Where rainfed cultivation is followed ,use only ODC 3 moringa variety
9.Direct seeding is always better preferred to transplanting of germinated potted seedlings
- Use more seed rate in problem soil and optimum seed rate in normal soil
11.where soil is cleyey , irrigation at wide frequency is advisable
- Avoid urea after 90 days .