Dragon fruit farming in Tamil Nadu

Hi , Dragon fruit is successfully cultivated at Doctor Farms ,Tamil Nadu. For more details contact Doctorfarms .

Dear Sir,

Happy to see successful cultivation of dragon fruit. I am from Hiriyur, Karnataka and in the process of gathering information on the cultivation of dragon fruit so as to start the same in near future.

I request you to share the below general details, if it is OK:

1. Challenges faced by you during the establishment of this plantation, during vegetative phase, during fruit establishment especially pollination & during marketing.
  2. Weather in your area: Minimum & maximum temperature, rainfall, soil type, water quality.
  3. Fertilizers’/manure dose during establishment.
  4. Common pests & disease problems in this plantation.
  5. Cost of initial establishment of orchard/acre & alternatives to reduce cost of establishment.
  6. Variety which is in good demand in Indian market (Yellow or white) & what is the minimum farmgate price/Kg.
  7. Time taken for first harvest; Yield expectation per acre during first, second & third harvest.

Thanks & Regards
Guru
+91 9620944466
guru.3112@gmail.com

Contact Dragon farms for more details.

Dear Sir,

Happy to see successful cultivation of dragon fruit. I am from Hiriyur, Karnataka and in the process of gathering information on the cultivation of dragon fruit so as to start the same in near future.

I request you to share the below general details, if it is OK:

1. Challenges faced by you during the establishment of this plantation, during vegetative phase, during fruit establishment especially pollination & during marketing.
    Responds: fungal attack is very common in Df . Control at early stage is very important . Next , Df like fertilization so give them good organic manure .very good responds with vermicompost . Need nitrogen during vegetative growth. Need more potassium during fruiting and flowering stag . Our plants are self pollinating and moths , bees does great job. Size of the fruit depends on the pollination and nutrient .marketing is very easy as this fruit has lot of health benefits. It helps to reduce blood sugar , high blood pressure , increase immunityetc.

2. Weather in your area: Minimum & maximum temperature, rainfall, soil type, water quality.
    Responds: min tem is 13 c and max is 36 c , rainfall 900 mm per annum ,soil neutral , good well water.

3. Fertilizers’/manure dose during establishment.
    Responds-
    Vermicompost , panchakavya , vermiwash etc , u can use now 15:15:15 for vegetative grow every 4 months

4. Common pests & disease problems in this plantation.
    Fungal attack - too much water will cause all problem .

5. Cost of initial establishment of orchard/acre & alternatives to reduce cost of establishment.
    Responds- 5L per acre .

6. Variety which is in good demand in Indian market (Yellow or white) & what is the minimum farmgate price/Kg.
    Responds- red & white good demand - Rs 100 per kg white and 150 per kg red farm gate price

7. Time taken for first harvest; Yield expectation per acre during first, second & third harvest.
    Yield starts from first year onwards but from third yr u will see the max yield. . From third yr 3 to 5 t per acre

Hope I answered all ur question - we do sell Df cuttings at our farm .interested contact .

2 Likes

Dear @Doctorfarms
Thanks for the valuable information.

I heard that the harvest of dragon fruits mostly fall between June till December i.e., spanning over 6 months & harvested periodically. Considering 5 to 7 tons per acre on a positive note from 3rd year onwards, monthly harvest will be around one ton. My query here is, will this one ton be harvested in single cutting or will this again span through out the entire month? The reason for asking this question is transportation cost. For those farmers like me whose farms are more than 150 kms from cities where this dragon fruit has demand, transportation cost will workout only if the tonnage at each cutting/harvest is minimum 3 tons and above. Can this minimum tonnage of 3 tons be achieved per every harvest/cutting? If so what should be the increase in acreage that you would advise? Kindly share your experience.

Regarding cuttings:
Please share the price/cutting/variety, transportation, requirement per acre(I guess 1600 cuttings required per acre. Correct me if my info is wrong).

Best regards
Guru

I heard that the harvest of dragon fruits mostly fall between June till December i.e.,

( You can get harvest through out the year if you use lights during winter months ) we will be using lights from this winter onwards) solar only

spanning over 6 months & harvested periodically. Considering 5 to 7 tons per acre on a positive note from 3rd year onwards, monthly harvest will be around one ton. My query here is, will this one ton be harvested in single cutting or will this again span through out the entire month?

One pole with 4 plants can give up to 10 kg from second yr onwards imagine if you have 500 poles in a acre …it will be 5 tones in 6 months period .you should have 5 acres to get one tone every week .or 3 acres for one ton every month .) from 3 rd yr onwards. Our farm is second yr we get 10 kg per pole . Next yr it will be 20 and then max of 30 kg from 4 th yr onwards .the life span is 15 to 20 yrs for dragon plants .

One pole has The reason for asking this question is transportation cost. For those farmers like me whose farms are more than 150 kms from cities where this dragon fruit has demand, transportation cost will workout only if the tonnage at each cutting/harvest is minimum 3 tons and above. Can this minimum tonnage of 3 tons be achieved per every harvest/cutting? If so what should be the increase in acreage that you would advise? Kindly share your experience.

3 tons per cutting then you should be having 5 acres and you will get it from 3 yr onwards. It is better if the buyer collects it from farm .

Regarding cuttings:
Please share the price/cutting/variety, transportation, requirement per acre(I guess 1600 cuttings required per acre. Correct me if my info is wrong).

We sell white Rs 90/- and red 110/- per cuttings. Pinkish red variety and white flesh . You need 2000 cuttings per acre . For 500 poles with 2.5x2.5 space .

Hope I answered your quarries .please visit my Facebook page for all updates …including pictures etc.
Best regards
Guru
[/quote]

1 Like

Dragon furit plant price