Damage of leaves of Banana Plant

Dear Members,

I have found the damage of the leaves of some of my banana plants.
Please find the attached photo.
I will be thankful if someone can give solution for this.

Regards,
Siddhartha.

Dear Siddhartha,

Please post all such topics under pests and diseases section. We definitely don’t want showcase pest damage! :wink:

Hi Siddhartha,

did you find a solution for the problem.

Regards,
agri_lover

I have applied Bevisten and mancozeb.
I am waiting for the result.
I will let you know.
Thanks.

Bavistin and Mancozeb are fungicides do you really think that it is fungii based disorder? Your banana plants are far away I dont see a favaorable condition for fungus, do you have many cloudy days?

I suspect your soil is saline(by looking at the pic). Have your soil tested and find out the PH and EC. For Banana EC should be less than 2. This suggestion is not related to this topic, thought of suggesting it to you here.

The almost all the month of Sept was cloudy and rain. Now there is cloud and rain.
The pH is 7.2 and I will confirm about EC soon.
I read from TNAU that this is the disease because of rain and they recommend for application of fungicide. Hence, I did.
Please suggest if you recommend according to pH and more than 2 EC.

Thanks.
Siddhartha.

Sorry I mixed up two issues here.

1. Fungii based disease
  2. Soil salinity is more than required level. i.e. EC is more than 2

If it is cloudy then yes it could be fungus effect. since you have tried mancozeb it is ok now. next time onwards, when ever prolonged cloudy climate spray bordaux mixture(bordo). Remember this is a preventive measure. Readymade bordo mix is available or you can prepare 1% of calcium and copper culphate and spray twice a week(i.e. 1Kg calcium and 1Kg Copper sulphate in 100 liters of water)

This is considered as organic since both chemicals are naturally available. This is cheap and no side effects on sprayer(labor)

Solving salinity in the soil,
Reason: This is due to exces usage of water and poor draining capacity of the soil. When there is excess water and it dont percolate, it will get evoporated from sun light. This will leave salt content in the soil. The salts are sodium carbonate, sodium by carbonate, sodium chloride, floride… so on. These are hazardouse for plants.
These salts suck water or moisture from plant roots in summer.
Solution
1.Dig 3ft deep 1 ft wide trenches in a interval of 50ft. connect these trenches to a lower elevation place on your land. This will drain excess water from your land. Leave the water out of your land.
2. Try growing banana sugarcane or any other water seeking crops. Here we are flushing the salts from soil. salts get dissolved in water and get drained thru drainage.
3. Stop using checmical fertiliser during this period.
4.Grow Diancha crop and leave the resudes on the ground. This will add organic carbon to your soil.

Thanks brother for a wonderful solution.
Regards,
Siddhartha.[quote=sri2012]
Sorry I mixed up two issues here.

1. Fungii based disease
  2. Soil salinity is more than required level. i.e. EC is more than 2

If it is cloudy then yes it could be fungus effect. since you have tried mancozeb it is ok now. next time onwards, when ever prolonged cloudy climate spray bordaux mixture(bordo). Remember this is a preventive measure. Readymade bordo mix is available or you can prepare 1% of calcium and copper culphate and spray twice a week(i.e. 1Kg calcium and 1Kg Copper sulphate in 100 liters of water)

This is considered as organic since both chemicals are naturally available. This is cheap and no side effects on sprayer(labor)

Solving salinity in the soil,
Reason: This is due to exces usage of water and poor draining capacity of the soil. When there is excess water and it dont percolate, it will get evoporated from sun light. This will leave salt content in the soil. The salts are sodium carbonate, sodium by carbonate, sodium chloride, floride… so on. These are hazardouse for plants.
These salts suck water or moisture from plant roots in summer.
Solution
1.Dig 3ft deep 1 ft wide trenches in a interval of 50ft. connect these trenches to a lower elevation place on your land. This will drain excess water from your land. Leave the water out of your land.
2. Try growing banana sugarcane or any other water seeking crops. Here we are flushing the salts from soil. salts get dissolved in water and get drained thru drainage.
3. Stop using checmical fertiliser during this period.
4.Grow Diancha crop and leave the resudes on the ground. This will add organic carbon to your soil.
[/quote]

Hi Siddhartha,

Any improvement in your situation. plz enlighten us.

Regards,
agri_lover

Things are improved. Bevisten with mancozeb worked. Now plants are OK.[quote=agri_lover]
Hi Siddhartha,

Any improvement in your situation. plz enlighten us.

Regards,
agri_lover
[/quote]