Dairy Farms - Know Hows

Hello Everyone,

I want to start a dairy farm in Kerala. I am a newcomer to this field. This being a professional forum, I am seeking help and advice here. My queries:

1. Is it possible to start a dairy farm in 30 cents of land?
  2. What is the minimum number of cows to start with? or how many cows can I accomodate comfortably in those 30 cents?
  3. What are the minimum equipments needed to start?
  4. What financial help/subsidies can I get/seek from the Govt?

Thanks and regards

Tushar

Hello Everyone,

I want to start a dairy farm in Kerala. I am a newcomer to this field. This being a professional forum, I am seeking help and advice here. My queries:

1. Is it possible to start a dairy farm in 30 cents of land?
    It is too small area. You will need atleast 1 acre for 5 cows. This area is to grow fodder. Buying fodder is not profitable and it is too risky. other option is hydophoinc fodder machine, this will need big investment.
  2. What is the minimum number of cows to start with? or how many cows can I accomodate comfortably in those 30 cents?
    You can start with 5 animals. If you want a decent income you may have to have atleast 10 animals.
  3. What are the minimum equipments needed to start?
    If you have 10 animals you need milking machine with battery operated facility,cans,buckets,vessels,a small invetory of regular medicines etc
  4. What financial help/subsidies can I get/seek from the Govt?

Any nationalised bank should give you loan if you pledge collaterals. Subsidy is state specific. You will have to check with local milk federation.

Read all the posts in animal section. you will get more information.

Thanks for your valuable information…I would like to further ask as to how much does a hydrophonic set up cost?(because I need to compare the possibilities of leasing out some nearby land).
Another thing to be asked is that what should be the strategy to buy the cows?
If we insure the animals and have all the papers intact, the Govt returns a huge part of the money used to buy the animals. Is it true?
Can you help me with the financials or expected cost and forecasted income with respect to the current market rates to establish a dairy with 8 cows and 2 buffaloes? It would be very helpful

Thanks and regards

Thanks for your valuable information…I would like to further ask as to how much does a hydrophonic set up cost?(because I need to compare the possibilities of leasing out some nearby land).
see all posts in this thread farmnest.com/forum/animal-farmin … ltivation/
farmnest.com/forum/animal-farmin … ion-costs/

Another thing to be asked is that what should be the strategy to buy the cows?
Buy animals in batches of 3 from any local dairy farms. Animals in 2nd or 3rd lactation is best. After 5th lactation is not profitable for a commerical dairy
If we insure the animals and have all the papers intact, the Govt returns a huge part of the money used to buy the animals. Is it true?
Many states of stopped these schemes. Go to any nationalised bank there will be a technical officer(a vet). He should guide you on this.
Can you help me with the financials or expected cost and forecasted income with respect to the current market rates to establish a dairy with 8 cows and 2 buffaloes? It would be very helpful

The project reports are available in animal section. As a thumb rule you can make 3K/animal(with labour, +fodder gorwn in your farm) 5K/animal(without labour+fodder gorwn in your farm)

PLEASE READ ALL POSTS in animal section. These questions are answered already.
farmnest.com/forum/animal-farmin … resources/
farmnest.com/forum/animal-farmin … ing-guide/