Dairy Farming - knowledgebase and resources

Buffalo dairy farm project report with 50 murrah buffaloes
odishavet.com/home/buffalo-p … -bank-loan

One for odishavet: farmnest.com/forum/animal-farmin … alo-farm!/
Thanks.

Dear Shri Dr. A K KAR
The dairy/ farming community will be grateful if bankable project reports of rearing calves of 10/20/50 is put on your sites to enable members to take benefit of rearing calves schemes.
thanking again for the noble cause.
G C JAGWANI

I need you help to start dairyfarm near chennai can i get your contact no or mail id?? PLZ PLZ PLZ…

Dear Mr. Gopal Singh

If you need any help to start a dairy farm pls do contact me on my email

sumit.chandla@delaval.com

I can help me in every possible way in dairy.

Regards
Sumit Chandla

Dear Farmer,

You can reach me on muralikrishnantvm@yahoo.co.in or call me on 9447088234

Murali

AGE OF A COW

The age of a cow 2 permanent incisors at 2 years of age, 4 at 3 years,6 at 4 years and 8 permanent incisors at 5 years of age.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Gentlemen,
I am planning to start dairy farm in North Gujarat (Nr Ahmedabad). I do not have land or expertise. I have farmer status and personal finance upto Rs.10Lakh. I intend to start with 20 cattle and scale it upto 100 in 2years.
I am looking for extensive training in either Gujarat or North India and starting support/guidance in Gujarat on consultancy basis.
Thanks.
Nikhil

Installation of the Cow Mats provides the ideal indoor surface for your cows’ comfort - as close to natural turf as you can get. Cow Mat reliably absorbs the shock repeated impacts and eliminates the risk of injury to-even the heaviest cow. Rubber mats absorb pressure, reduces friction, prevents chances of lameness, laminitis, reduces the risk of injury to teats, udder, knees and legs. In the process of lying down the animal actually freefalls the last 10 to 12 inches. So providing cow mats acts as a shock absorber, thereby eliminating the risk of injury.

There are many dairy farms in the Gulf, US. , Australia, New Zealand and Netherlands. You will see electrically operated machines there. The yield of the cows there and the milking efficiency is possible only with electrically operated machines. Pulsation is very very important. If power is not there, then there are machines which can run on generators attached to it. I am sure that there in those countries maximum mechanisation is there in dairy farming like milking, milk measurement using milk-o-scope, automatic cluster removal(ACR), teat hygiene and prevention of infections using teat sprays, fodder harvesters, baling machines of fodders like Alfa Alfa, automated / computerized feeding devices directly linked to production, Cow ID devices, Hydraulic / chain operated manure scrapers, Tractor Scraping etc.
Electrically operated Milking Machines– is the modern way to milk cows. We buy machines to avoid manual labour, dependency on Labour, save time, maintains hygiene, and most importantly to get clean milk completely within the time frame. Use machines with oil free pneumatic pulsators as it protects you from recurring expenses.

First decide how many cows/buffaloes you want to keep.
• Plan the dairy shed with sides open giving good ventilation
• Proper drains to be planned for urine to drain with 1% slope to the floor where cows are standing outside the feeding manger.
• It’s better if you can put cow mats made of rubber in the cow lying area.
• If it’s more than 10 cows it’s better to have a back to back system with a wide passage of at least 6 feet in the centre.
• Plan for vermi composting & organic manure production which can go along with dairy farming without much expenditure
• Learn the feeding methods. Avoid over feeding. Always make water available in front of the cows. Install drinking bowls in front of the cows, connected to the overhead tank.
• Plant fodder. (CO3,Kutirai masal) Have your own fodder land. 1 acre for 8-10 cows is the recommendation.
• Keep dairy shed under good shade or plant shade giving trees around the shed.
• Keep hot dipped galvanized partitions between cows if possible or use good quality GI pipes
• Minimum 25 kg greens per day to cows, hay can be used as filler only.
• Recommending trolley mounted milking machines if its 10 or below, fixed type for 12 or more cows, easy to milk, job will be simplified in fixed type milking systems. Have a DG set back up as you need power during milking time. Machines are there to milk 10 cows at a time, 100 cows in one hour.
• Have plastic/aluminum feeding buckets to give water and feeds. Never mix cattle feed in water. You can soak it in water and it must finally look like dough for dosa. Not at all watery.

Dairying is not a one day job. It is a TEST match. First innings-> you learn the trade by keeping few cows, look after them, carefully studying the housing & cow comforts, medication, and nutrition.
New comers are welcome and this is one area where there is lot of demand especially for fresh milk. I know farmers who are in this profession for the last 10 years and this is their livelihood. I know farms in south India, some are big shots too. 500-1000 cows.
I was surprised seeing a family of 4 managing a herd of 500 in Turkey. Hard workers they are. Mechanization makes it possible. Fodder harvesters harvesting fodder from farm land. It is attached to a tractor which cuts it into small pieces- the harvested fodder is taken to a drum which chaffs it and blows it out using a blower on to the same tractor storage body. The driver drives it to the dairy shed and it is dispensed to the cows. The cleaning is done using manure scrapers & automatic flushing devices are there. Fixed timings for milking. Milking parlours are there. Cow ID is there for every cow.
Second innings ->after you learn dairying, it is time to stretch. Increase herd size. From milking machines to milking parlours. Add more revenue earning devices like vermi composting or organic manure production etc. Cow id based automated feeding devices etc. Milk stored in Bulk Milk Coolers. Milk from cow’s udder, stored in milk coolers untouched by hand so that the keeping quality is good and milk quality is excellent.
In Dairying, especially in housing and related devices you need to do many small constructions. Its not possible for you to shift all these things. So it’s always better to do it in your own land. You cannot run a farm at least in the beginning stages, by remote control. You need to remove your shoes. Work in the farm to know the basic issues in feeding, medication, insemination, milking etc.

Never trust third parties especially when it comes to cow purchase. They will claim big big things. Never buy a cow without seeing the yield 3 times continuously. Morning, Evening and next day morning. Some people use hormonal injections to show more yield. Be careful not to fall in their trap. It’s a good industry but with lot of bad people around to fool and snatch money. If you are smart, you succeed. Ready to do hard work, then success is the end result. Always double check before doing anything.

Cow Brokers claim the yield to be say 25 litres,Fine. In the Morning or Evening or Morning + Evening???

Normally the yield of a cow- if its 18 litres,that means 18 litres in the morning. Nobody takes the evening milk into account.Beware of the brokers,middlemen. They claim big big things. Its our job to see that we are not getting fooled by them.Claims are ok.Ask them to milk and show the yield,not one time!! Three times continously.Always watch for some identification marks of the cow you select and be physically present during milking time.Buying a cow is not like buying something from a shop.You need to have patience to be around.Never believe their claims.Brokers they use injections like xxxxxxxx (dont want to publicise the name here).Using such injections will make the cow create many imbalances.Not only that it wont become pregnant again.

Stay away from such practices as that milk is harmful for us too.

This is a very tricky business. They claim its their farm and act like that too.

Please dont get cheated!!

Keep in touch.
Regards
Murali Krishnan
Sri Vinayaka Agencies
T.C.1/828(1)
Opposite MCHS
Trivandrum-695011
Kerala State
E mail:srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Hi,

Exploring the dairy domain. Interested to open a small dairy of 10 (cow and buffalo) in my village. have around 4 acre land.
few questions as given below.

1. Minimum approx cost to build the fire-proof cattle shed ? My area is thunder prone area.
  2. How to calculate the price of cow and buffalo at present ?
  3. Gov. milk collection centre is 15 km from my place. Is it possible to transport milk without using any freezing equipment ?
  4. How many person required for handling total task ?
  5. Is it possible to run a dairy without electricity ? Yes , minimal solar light system is there, Is it sufficient ?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Manoj

Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh.

Dear Murali Krishnan,

Thanks for quick and useful reply.

As you replied “Cows might cost you Rs.50000 – 60000/-” . It is more then my expectation.

1. How much milk will it give daily in normal environment?
  2. How many cow required for production of 100 liter daily(50 morning & 50 evening).
  3. How to calculate the price of cow? Is there any formula ?
  4. Is it possible to build 25X35 sq.ft shed (in 35X35 sq. ft ) in the budget of Rs. 1,50,000?

Manoj

Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh.

Dear Mr.Manoj,

• Plant shade giving trees around the shed. It helps to keep the shed in a cool atmosphere.
• Keep water in Plastic drums in a metallic ring in front of the cow always. One drum for one cow. Do not interconnect. If interconnected diseases may spread from cow to cow through water.
• Take preventive vaccinations for Foot and Mouth Disease, Hemorrhagic Septicemia, Theileria if its prevalent there, Black quarter.
• Please deworm your cows once in 6 months- Do rotation with Fenbendazole 1.5 gm, next time Albendazole 1.5 gm . For calves 150 mgm. Many companies have this in different brand names.
• In today’s world a cow can give easily 18-22 litres in the morning. Milk in the afternoon may be 40-60% of what you get in the morning. Its because of the short gap. If possible a gap of 12 hours is better. Morning 4 am and evening 4 pm. But it depends on how well you feed the cows, water availability, green fodder, dry matter. Milk production is directly related to feeding. (Input → output). Breed too matters. In your case a good cow like GIR, Tharparkar may be good. Yield mentioned above is for Holstein Fresian cows.
• 5 - 6 cows in milking can give 100 litres easily provided you give them good and comfortable housing, stress free. Avoid presence of strangers in the farm.
• You need to be present while milking the cow continuously for three times. See the yield. Get convinced and buy. Negotiate. There is no formula but there are body signs plus the milk vein under the stomach of the cow. See picture attached.
• One cow needs 4 feet width and 2 metre standing space ( cow standing place outside the feeding manger- outer wall, feeding manger must have at least .5 metres inner width). Give 1% slope for the water and urine to get drained. The manger in front of the cow must be in the shape of the picture shown below. Plan for a small drain sloping to one side ending in a urine/waste water channel and it needs to flow directly to your fodder land. Plan channels for this water to get circulated in the entire field without pumping.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

1 Like

Dear Manoj,

Its always better to go for European standards and also machines with ISO certification. Please do not buy oil drinking machines. Another very very important thing is the type of pulsator used in milking machines. The pulsator latest type is pneumatic oil free ones(electronic pulsators are there for large herds and not for small herds.) Carefully observe how many teats of the cow is getting pressed at a time. Some machines with very cheap piston type pulsators presses all the four teats of the cow at a time. It produces the sound of old charcoal driven trains like pusc, pusc… not tik, tik.See, When you milk by hand how many teats will you press? That pressing too must be in the opposite quarters. the right teat in front of you and the opposite ie; the left one on the other side.

Never try manual milking machines as it lacks pulsation and works by keeping the teats of the cow open during the entire milking time which is wrong and it allows the entry of germs and bacteria inside the teats resulting in getting mastitis as end result for the cow. Imported machines costs Rs.55000/- only with 30 litre SS milking cans having pneumatic pulsators and no monthly expenses like buying oil for the machine, a recurring expenditure. Never buy machines produced in countries from where we get throw away tape recorders and DVD players. If you love your cow, you must buy a good machine. Never a manual one. Some companies might say it is also with pulsation.Why dont we see such machines in countries abroad?? Think of that please !!

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

1 Like

Dear Mr. Murali Krishnan,

Thanks!! for advice regarding milking machine. I am exploring resources for milking machine. I want your view on “12Volt DC battery operated milking machine”. ( raghavamilkmachines.vertexiweb.com/products.html )

Regards,
Manoj
Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh

One can cluster can milk 10 cows in one hour(electrically driven machine takes 6-8 minutes to milk one cow irrespective of its yield). Buy machines giving careful thoughts, don’t buy some “scrap” called milking machine. Please think why machines working using hand pumps and leg operated ones are not seen in gulf countries or USA, Australia or New Zealand? The reason is they are technically not working in the right methods and applying recommended vacuum levels. A good machine must milk the cow pressing opposite teats- one on the left side in the front quarter and the right teat at the back quarter like how we mark “X”. Definitely they are having better machines for all other purposes. Then why only in milking?
A good milking machine will have the following:

• Electrically driven vacuum pump, oil free.
• Vacuum gauge
• Vacuum meter
• Aluminium or SS milking can of 30 litre capacity.
• Pneumatic pulsator, oil free
• Liners, Milk sight glass, Teat cup Shell transparent, Teat Cup Shell Stainless steel part, one set of 3 brushes.

Machines having European standards and ISO certifications are the best and not from countries from where we normally get throw away Tape Recorders or DVD players. The country of origin is very important.

There is no harm in using a milking machine. It can never take blood out of the cow even if you keep it there for 15 minutes after completing the milk let down. No harm is caused to the cow as the vacuum is passed on to the cow’s teats after regulating it. You will get good clean milk without froth from the machine. The only thing is after milking you need to open the milking can lid, measure the milk and pour it to another preferably SS or Aluminum vessel. Avoid milk getting touched by hands as it prevents mutiplication of microbial content in milk and can last for more time. It’s always better to chill it immediately after milking. For that too never depend on locally made coolers. Go for Company made coolers only.
Locally made stuff will give you trouble and draw more electricity.

If you have 2 milking can machine, for 25 cows I think in 1.5 hours your job will be done. Ladies can operate this machine. Just attach and detach milking clusters to the cow’s udder. Its always better to use iodine after milking to dip the cows teats. Iodine is a disinfectant and it helps the cow to close the opened teat canal. I think I have given a very detailed reply clearing your doubt. Happy Milking !!

When there is no milk seen in the milk sight glass (In machines imported from Turkey, you have two piece liners, with a milk sight glass in between having a transparent part between the liner and the short milk tube). In other machines, single piece liner or in the milk claw bowl bottom (the transparent part in which you can see milk getting collected from each teat), you please put the weight of your right hand in the milk claw so that extra weight is added to the milk claw bowl bottom part. Remember to put your hand on the dark part, over the top of the milk claw bowl bottom( the piece where the rubber liners are attached to the plastic part,normally its above the transparent part), so that it gives that extra weight on the four teats of the cow, like you squeeze the last milk from the teats . When the milking is about to be over, the same action is done by putting little extra weight. The milk sight glass helps you to see the milk flowing out from the 4 teats as you don’t have to bend too much to see the bottom milk flowing from the 4 teats.

Milking is done using machines only in USA, NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIA. They are doing complete milking and they are very strict on teat dipping as well as hygiene practices after milking like teat dipping, wiping the udder using teat dip wipes{throw away type, you never use a used wipe}, washing utensils with acid and alkaline detergents. No soap or washing detergents. Complete milking is possible and their cows yield three times more than our cows. No fears please!!

Muralikrishnan

1 Like

[quote=srivinayakatvm]
One can cluster can milk 10 cows in one hour(electrically driven machine takes 6-8 minutes to milk one cow irrespective of its yield). Buy machines giving careful thoughts, don’t buy some “scrap” called milking machine. Please think why machines working using hand pumps and leg operated ones are not seen in gulf countries or USA, Australia or New Zealand? The reason is they are technically not working in the right methods and applying recommended vacuum levels. A good machine must milk the cow pressing opposite teats- one on the left side in the front quarter and the right teat at the back quarter like how we mark “X”. Definitely they are having better machines for all other purposes. Then why only in milking?
A good milking machine will have the following:

• Electrically driven vacuum pump, oil free.
• Vacuum gauge
• Vacuum meter
• Aluminium or SS milking can of 30 litre capacity.
• Pneumatic pulsator, oil free
• Liners, Milk sight glass, Teat cup Shell transparent, Teat Cup Shell Stainless steel part, one set of 3 brushes.

Machines having European standards and ISO certifications are the best and not from countries from where we normally get throw away Tape Recorders or DVD players. The country of origin is very important.

There is no harm in using a milking machine. It can never take blood out of the cow even if you keep it there for 15 minutes after completing the milk let down. No harm is caused to the cow as the vacuum is passed on to the cow’s teats after regulating it. You will get good clean milk without froth from the machine. The only thing is after milking you need to open the milking can lid, measure the milk and pour it to another preferably SS or Aluminum vessel. Avoid milk getting touched by hands as it prevents mutiplication of microbial content in milk and can last for more time. It’s always better to chill it immediately after milking. For that too never depend on locally made coolers. Go for Company made coolers only.
Locally made stuff will give you trouble and draw more electricity.

If you have 2 milking can machine, for 25 cows I think in 1.5 hours your job will be done. Ladies can operate this machine. Just attach and detach milking clusters to the cow’s udder. Its always better to use iodine after milking to dip the cows teats. Iodine is a disinfectant and it helps the cow to close the opened teat canal. I think I have given a very detailed reply clearing your doubt. Happy Milking !!

When there is no milk seen in the milk sight glass (In machines imported from Turkey, you have two piece liners, with a milk sight glass in between having a transparent part between the liner and the short milk tube). In other machines, single piece liner or in the milk claw bowl bottom (the transparent part in which you can see milk getting collected from each teat), you please put the weight of your right hand in the milk claw so that extra weight is added to the milk claw bowl bottom part. Remember to put your hand on the dark part, over the top of the milk claw bowl bottom( the piece where the rubber liners are attached to the plastic part,normally its above the transparent part), so that it gives that extra weight on the four teats of the cow, like you squeeze the last milk from the teats . When the milking is about to be over, the same action is done by putting little extra weight. The milk sight glass helps you to see the milk flowing out from the 4 teats as you don’t have to bend too much to see the bottom milk flowing from the 4 teats.

Milking is done using machines only in USA, NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIA. They are doing complete milking and they are very strict on teat dipping as well as hygiene practices after milking like teat dipping, wiping the udder using teat dip wipes{throw away type, you never use a used wipe}, washing utensils with acid and alkaline detergents. No soap or washing detergents. Complete milking is possible and their cows yield three times more than our cows. No fears please!!

Muralikrishnan

just with Gir cows, commercial diary farming is vaiable? or should include high breeds, HF…etc. I just checked in Gujarat with a farmer who owns Gir cows said he gets 5-7ltr milk. I am wondering whether such low yield how the commercial diary farm can get viable.

commercial diary farm am intending is start witrh 10 and gradually increase to 100 with maximum automation and high standards.

awaiting valuable inputs

For Commercial dairy farms, one need to think of cows giving more milk. How to house the cows, how to feed them, attend to their water needs, calcium and mineral supplementation, periodic deworming, cow comfort etc needs to be carefully studied. Commercial dairy farming is entirely different from backyard farming. Here we are professionals. So think only of high yielders and what all you must do to get more milk must be given priority. Mechanization is the key today. Rear high yielders like Holstein.

Regards

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

1 Like

Dear Mathew,
Indian breed cattle also can give milk yield up to 20 liters even more per day, but all it depends on managing their requirement.
When we will be able to provide maximum satisfaction and affection to cattle, then they can satisfy your expectations.
Maintaining dairy is like maintaining infant please note.