Customs duty on import of agricultural machinery into India

Dear rajimpex,

Can you please confirm/provide a reference for that there is no import tariff/customs duty on agricultural implements/machinery?
I was working out the cost of importing a Chinese harvester and remember I did think there was a considerable duty to pay.

Are you suggesting the cost of importing a machinery from China (say from alibaba) would be the base cost plus the transport charge only? I am sure you would know this better since you are in this field.

Thanks.

Hi,
you can google for “tax on agri impliments”.
be very alert when buying chinese stuff.
Yes it would be base cost plus shipping costs
Regards.

That does not seem accurate. See the below links.
In general, all agricultural machinery import seems to be attracting no less that 7.5% Basic Duty plus 4% Special CVD.

Import Duty on - AGRICULTURAL, HORTICULTURAL OR FORESTRY MACHINERY FOR SOIL PREPARATION OR CULTIVATION; LAWN OR SPORTSGROUND ROLLERS
Import Duty on - HARVESTING OR THRESHING MACHINERY, INCLUDING STRAW OR FODDER BALERS; GRASS OR HAY MOWERS; MACHINES FOR CLEANING, SORTING OR GRADING EGGS, FRUIT OR OTHER AGRICULTURAL PRODUCE, OTHER THAN MACHINERY OF HEADING 8437
Import Duty on - MILKING MACHINES AND DAIRY MACHINERY
Import Duty on - MACHINES FOR CLEANING, SORTING OR GRADING SEED, GRAIN OR DRIED LEGUMINOUS VEGETABLES; MACHINERY USED IN THE MILLING INDUSTRY OR FOR THE WORKING OF CEREALS OR DRIED LEGUMINOUS VEGETABLES, OTHER THAN FARM-TYPE MACHINERY

Hi Chandra, Viktree,
i take back my words, i had got some blow vac mulchers -no duty was charged.May be an oversight.
All the same thankyou for the info, will help all.
Regards

Hi Folks

Recently had some experience in trying to carry/ship brushcutter and chain saw. Loaded the stuff in my luggage and checked in airlines. Got a call saying that airport security removed the stuff from the bag. They consider any gas engine as a hazardous material and won’t let it on board.

Sent the stuff through courier, only to have the customs folks stop it and was informed that 6k was charged as duty.

Seems like the only possibility is through sea?

Shiv

Hi,
Customs rules are diff for diff modes of travel/shipping.
If you bring a high end mobile its charged 30-35% duty at the airport, the same mobile is charged 5-10% if brought by cargo/courier.At the airport its flat 30-35% duty after deducting free allowance.
Petrol Engines may be off the airline baggage list, only allowed if no fuel loaded.You just had to convince them that fuel tank was empty.
If guns and ammo can be permitted on a flight as check in baggage why not a humble chain saw and grass cutter?
Regards.

Hi All,

Even I had a similar experience…
But I checked with the airlines before I packed and luckily I could return it.

I had bought a Lithium Ion pole pruner by B&D. But BA website claims all Tools whose cutting length is above 6" as hazardous. but guns and ammunitions are not hazardous. :-[,

@ Anushafarms, Can you please confirm how much they charged for courier, as this may work out a better deal than direct shipping.
MOD would be to put it in checkin, If they allow it its OK, Otherwise anyway you know that they will courier it.

@ All, When we try direct shipping from amazon, They by default take 30% import deposit. Is there anyway to claim excess customs duty paid?

Regards,
Viktree

I was charged 8k + 6k for courier by Fastway express. Apparently you cannot courier in the stuff, according to what I was told

Shiv

Hi,
The amazon policy is unfair, unwanted and unwarranted customs charges are collected only part refunded, smells of a scam.
But nothing can be done against this capitalistic approach.
Its no win situation, as dealers charge a similar amount on the product if its locally avlbl, though they hav the adv of bulk purchases and bulk shipping.
My xperiences hav ben good if the goods delivered to a friend in US of A, and shipped by USPS to be delivered thru post off(customs duty is nominal, and shud be declared as gift and also as an agri implement).
Amazon is very good in refunding replacing damaged goods.You dont need to call twice.
Regards

Hi,

Just Received a B&D Pole pruner from amazon yesterday. Their response was good but the carriers [ Express IT] response was pathetic.
I checked with them for the actual customs duty paid and refund if any, Amazon asked me to check with the carrier and the carrier doesn’t respond, so thats an infinite loop.

@ rajimpex, Thanks for the inputs on USPS but i have the following questions.

1. When I try to do an estimate of shipping on USPS I find that they are very high compared to the Amazon shipping charges. Does this mean that if you approach them with the product shipping cost will be less? or am I missing something ?

2. Do they get the customs clearance or do we need to do it?

3. If we need to do the customs clearance then what is the procedure for it.

Regards,
Viktree

[Mod note: Pole Pruner specific discussion moved here: Pole Pruner/Pole Saw]

Hi Viktree,
It is USPS priority mail, its the cheapest.Try to work out with it.
Via USPS, the goods come by Foreign Post Office, they charge 14% duty approx, if less than 8000-10,000 no duty charged.
One need not go to get stuff cleared, its customs clearance on basisi of invoice enclosed.
If at all you need to do clearnce, you can do it personally, no need of an agent.
Hope that was helpful.
Regards.

Hi rajimpex,

Do you know the step by step process for importing a machine from say, China by sea? Who pays the transport and customs charges - buyer directly or seller on behalf of the buyer? Can individuals import the machines? Any limit on the value of the machines?

Hi Chandra,
What is the quantity we are looking at?
Its all very simple.
1)Locate a seller
2)Identitfy a shipper forwarder.
3)You needa IEC code to import.
4)After goods shipped, bill of lading- dox will be sent to you by shipping agent in china or wherever.
5)Locate a clearing agent in your city of import.
7)After assesment and examination payment of duty is decided and customs duty collectd-Shipment released after payment of duty.
Anything else my friend?
Regards.

Thanks rajimpex. Just one piece - some of the agri machines from China seem quite tempting :slight_smile:

Hi Chandra,
All chinees stuff isnt bad, nor is all chinees stuff good, its better to go in for a company whic has a presence in india.Atleast you are assured of after sales and spares.
Else it worth its weight as scrap, mostly plastic, you wont even get much money for it :slight_smile:
There sre some delhi based companies who are marketing agri machinery from china, wud be a better bet buying from them.
Regards.

hello
i am new to this forum and don’t know where to ask my question.
i need a mulching machine which i have seen on alibaba.com
i have no experience of importing any product.how i can obtain it from china.i m ready to visit china also.

thanks in advance