Cracking of watermelon [solved]

Is paraffin oil same as kerosense?

No its not kerosene. Paraffin oil i.e a mineral oil is also known as adepsine oil, alboline, glymol, and medicinal paraffin. Your local pharmacy should have liquid paraffin. If not, try any dealer of Petrochemicals. If you buying from the Pharmacy, you wont find it in a liter bottle as they usually come in 100 ml bottles.

Here is a few things that you should do.

• Irrigate your plants properly i.e water them when the top 1-2 inches of soil dry up. Water them in the morning or Evenings
  • Mulch the soil with paddy straw. Do not let the fruit be in contact with the soil.
  • Uproot all diseased plants and destroy them. (Burning is a good option)
  • Spray 200 Ml Paraffin oil + soap+ 10 liters water on healthy fruits ( To keep disease away and retain moisture by wax coating them)
  • Spread roughly 10 grams of Calcium powder on the soil around the base of the plants to keep aphids away.
  • Use a foliar spray of calcium nitrate ( Please check suggestions by Biofarms)

Thanks for summarising itā€¦Appreciate your help!

Hi saverafarms,

Did you manage to get this sorted? What worked for you?

Chanadra,
I tried multiple things as suggested by members here. It is difficult to pin point on one item since it was done in a very short span of time.

But I think Boron and Calcium Nitrate helped which took care of cracking of fruit and end blossom rot. Placing straw underneath the fruit was beneficial as well.

Thanks, some pointers for someone with similar issues in future for sure!

At the stage of 10 Days before Ripening, giving water to the Plant be Stopped. For the Fruits Straw cushioning or Fiber sheet cushioning be Provided. Also see that there should not any Ants near to the Plant/Fruit. The en Damage of Fruits can be reduced Drastically.

MANNE.SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,

Another point to consider is never add synthetic or organic fertilizer when the vine starts flowering or when the fruit is developing. It leads to busting of most type of melons and cucumber. It also easily gets spoiled because of this. (i mean no longer shelf life). However in commercial cultivation you have to do it. depends how you can manage it(timely harvest).

Hi,

Please check below note.

Whisky is not advisable to spray on plants which contains ethanol and which restricts the plant growth.

ehow.com/info_8006187_effect ā€¦ lants.html

I think as per above only Methanol can be used for plants but the wiki did not even mention that it can be used in agriculture any whereā€¦

So be cautions using the alcohol in agricultureā€¦

Regards,
Vijay