Cow milking

I AM THINKING TO START A SMALL FARM IN MY PLACE WITH 3 COWS. BUT I DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO MILKING. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO LEARN MILKING? ITS SIMPLE? I KNOW ABT MILKING MACHINE, BUT IN THE STARTING TIME, I WON’T GO FOR THAT.
THANKS
PALANI

Before you start please go to some dairy farm and get training. You can also go to any KVK near you and get training.

Mr.Palani,

Wherever milking machines are sold and installed we do the demonstration for the first cow and then make the customer do milking under our supervision. Once milking is over we demonstrate how to clean the cluster assembly, cleaning of milking can using ĺukewarm water with dairy detergent, replacing liner and all rubber parts, do’s and dont’s, importance of teat spraying not dipping etc. In general, you learn milking in 30 minutes. We have sold many machines in length and breadth of Kerala. Please get in touch with us.

Murali Krishnan

Palanimalamurugan,
For small dairy farmers, there is a manual milking machine. Please check out this video: youtube.com/watch?v=y-0jIECnUVE

Contact should be available online, if not available I can get you the contacts. The cost was very less compared to traditional machines.

Mr.Palani,

See, if you can take effort to manually run a device to create vacuum, then you can very well milk your cow with your own hands. Other than India, nowhere you can see hand operated milking machines, say for eg. middle east (farms like Almarai), Turkey, USA, Canada,Australia, New Zealand, in all these places you can see electrically operated milking systems only. In India, considering the low number of cows a farmer has and considering the cost we shy away from electrically operated milking machines. But in such places, community milking systems are put to use by the milk unions like Kolar in Karnataka and Gujarat where farmers bring cows to the milk society to get milked in community milking centers where trained manpower is there who has got training in milking. A farmer who has more than 5 cows should go for an electrically operated machine. Now low cost milking machines, powered with 1 hp motor and 20 litre stainless steel can is available for around Rs.38000/-.

The farmer can decide which machine suits him.

Murali

Someone told me to learn farming one will take 10 years to understand. And when it comes to cows he said it takes 20 years to do so. Kindly be very careful and ready before doing it. You will be dealing with live animals and they are not plants and trees. They are real different ball game and from their food to health to milk them is not an easy task. I m not trying to discourage you but its not easy either, if you do not have any hands on experience.

That is why, I always advice new comers to rear just 5 cows for 6 months. By that time you will understand the daily needs of the cow, how to take care of the cow and protect the cow from diseases, disease prevention methods, vaccinations to be taken, importance of deworming, attending to minor ailments and things like that. Definitely, this is something which you can learn gradually as the herd size increases. The Daily requirement on your part too will change depending upon the number of cows, the type of housing system, water requirement, veterinary care etc. Start with 5, after 6 months 10, then 20. By that time you know the game. Go for 50 cows, then 100 like that. Step by step. Nobody can start big one fine morning. Tricks of the trade is there. You should know from where to buy cows, their feed and water requirement, diseases and prevention methods, deworming periodically, its a big area. Continuous learning may be needed. Have patience and the urge to learn.

Murali Krishnan