Cost of compound wall for farm

Hello everyone,
New here, about to get into farming shortly, hence need advice from the members.
Trying to understand what farming is all about, hence likely to be pestering you friends with a lot of questions.
Please be patient, cause some of them are likely to be very rookie questions.

My name is Santosh Deshmukh.
I am from Thane, Maharashtra. Looking for a farmland in a 40-50 km radius from my place, land is very costly around 15-20 lacs an acre, hence before i get into the project want to understand the economics of the project and the type of work i should be doing.

Right now have a small question - what is the cost of building a compound wall around the farm, my thought is to have a compound wall total 10 ft above the ground with rough stone masonry about 1.5 ft thick.

assuming a total plot of 10 acres, that is the size of farm i am looking forward to.
Thanks a lot. Looking forward to your answers.

Dear Santhosh,

Whay do you need a compound wall? Why cant you think of barbed wire fencing? Barbed wire fencing cost you 40K to 60K/acre Compound wall atleast 10times expensive. And you dont need 1.5’ thick wall. Only 9" thick is ok.

What is your aim of farming? Hobby or business?

The land you are mentining may be of a real estate importance. Check little interior towards country side.

Dear Santosh Ji,

Mr. Sri has highlighted a very valid point here,
Best solution is to fence your farm with barbed wire,
If you are more security conscious, then you may opt for Electric fencing or Honeycomb fencing.

Thanks.

Hello! Construction of compound wall is very expensive. There is no point in putting a compound wall unless the location in question is costly urban land and there is threat of encroachment.
Farmers infact do not put compound walls for their farms. They do not even put fencing.
If you want to have demarcation of your property on the ground and perhaps prevent cattle from entering the field you can form a live fence all along the boundary of the farm. The money you would like to spend on putting compound wall can be usefully spent on perhaps manuring etc., and improve the fertility of the farm.
Siva Sankara Reddy.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

need to make a few points about my project.
This is definitely commercial, yes it is a passion for me have dreamt for this all my life, finally have the financial backup to go into it. But all said and done this is all out commercial.
Have some thoughts as to how this place will look like, and what will be done there, hence have to be close to Mumbai (close to a big market). Sri made a very valid point must search in the interior, else the costs are crazy here, will take this advice forward.
The place where this land is water deficient, the soil is very good ( i am told). Will have to put the cost of water harvesting as part of the project (maybe a man made lake, maybe a large well i dont knw, will be seekings advice on this separately.
But cause this place is deficient in water a barb wire fence will not do, water is too much of attraction for the locals, and a plantation with neo crop will attract too much attention of the wrong type, i hope you undrestand what i mean. Will have to get the place properly walled and protected. I knw the cost is high, but dont really have an idea how much.
Please do understand that i am a complete amateur, hence any practical ideas are welcome. Have a lot of questions, will ask them one by one to you all.

Thanks a lot again.

Dear sir
A 8 ft wall(2 ft as foundation+6 ft height + 18 inch thick) may consume min 2 lakhs bricks costing@4.50/-each brick.Its plastering may take another 5 lakhs.Thus you spend 90 lakhs on bricks,labour,mason etc.Thus if you can spend approximately 1 crore towards fencing pl go ahead.However there are many natural fences which can do the same job and improve the micro environment in the farm house.They are herbal tall growing thorny plants which protect farms as well as sell after few years as medicinal wood products.
R.C.Dixit,Director
Medicinal plants Research & propagation society

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks a lot for your valued advice. agree it saves a huge capital cost. estimate of 90 l was close to what i had calculated, but sounded unbelievable. was a bit taken aback by the number. will consult on the plants to be grown for natural compound. Have started the search for land, saw 4 places but not happy. This project is going to be fun.
Have started maintaining a log of things that i am reading or learning from this forum.

Thanks again
tc.

Impulsive decisions prove costly,pl learn it.Thank God you contacted us or else you would have been sold off by now keeping in view the exorbitant costs of concrete wall.

Santosh,

Unless you are getting into some contraband business, you do not need a wall. :slight_smile:

Live fencing will take time (years) to come up, especially to a height of 10 feet. If you do not have the time, a barbed wire fence is the quick and effective means of protecting your farm. You can also look at industrial grade razor wire fencing that I feel is robust enough is stop even determined intruders.

I have fenced my 11 acre farm with electric fencing (4 ft) height. It has granite poles 8ft apart and 4 rounds of wire around the approx 1 km perimter. I spent almost 1.25 lakhs 2 years ago. Please bear in mind that I didn’t have to purchase almost 50% of the poles as there were some old ones available and my farm is very close to granite quarries. The cost of poles can vary a whole lot.

Cheers,
AK

Hi AK,

Sure there is nothing to hide … ha ha …
But the place has irritating people. Talking to everyone here this looks like a bad idea.
Ur industrial barbs looks like a great idea, will check that out on the cost side.
Electrical fencing … maybe…
Got the mota cost numbers right now, now looking for a good piece of land.
Thanks.

[quote=AK1311]
Santosh,

Unless you are getting into some contraband business, you do not need a wall. :slight_smile:

Live fencing will take time (years) to come up, especially to a height of 10 feet. If you do not have the time, a barbed wire fence is the quick and effective means of protecting your farm. You can also look at industrial grade razor wire fencing that I feel is robust enough is stop even determined intruders.

I have fenced my 11 acre farm with electric fencing (4 ft) height. It has granite poles 8ft apart and 4 rounds of wire around the approx 1 km perimter. I spent almost 1.25 lakhs 2 years ago. Please bear in mind that I didn’t have to purchase almost 50% of the poles as there were some old ones available and my farm is very close to granite quarries. The cost of poles can vary a whole lot.

Cheers,
AK[/quote]
Dear Mr. AK.
Would you please please explain in detail what the industrial grade razor wire fencing is?
Siva Sankara Reddy

Dear Siva Ji,

Here is the details on Razor wire:

Razor wire is a central strand of high tensile wire, and a steel tape punched into a shape with barbs. The steel tape is cold crimped tightly to the wire. Razor wire is manufactured with a galvanized tape (Zinc coating ranging from 120 gsm to 275 gsm) and Galvanized core wire (diameter: 2.5mm) with zinc coating 90 gsm to 275 gsm). For more critical razor wire applications, stainless steel tape and stainless steel core wire is used.
Razor wire is available in two forms:

• Unclipped
  • Clipped in concertina form

Razor wire in concertina form, the coils diameter ranges from 300mm to 1000mm. Lower diameters usually consist of three clips per loop and higher diameters consist of five clips per loop.
Razor wires are manufactured at A-1 Fence Products Company chiefly in following five blade:

• Fish-hook blade
  • Long blade
  • Tear blade
  • Medium blade
  • Short blade

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Indeed the inputs are very helpful by everyone.
I too need to construct a compound around 1 acre plot and need details regarding it. Please help me out with few questions below:

1. As per above… Barbed wire turned out best option… for 1 acre plot how much would it cost ? in terms of poles, wire and labor separately?
  2. Is granite poles only option, can I use cement poles or any other suggestion, how much they cost and would they be useful?
  3. What is min cost estimate I can consider for compound of fence type?

Thanks for taking out your time and patience for answering.

Hello SKadam,

This might give some answers: Farm Fence Topic

The barbed wire or chainlink fence(if more secure fence is required) with angle iron poles of 35×5mm with 7to8feet length at about 10feet gap is the most economical and durable option for farm fencing.Approximate cost will be about Rs25to30.per running feet depending on the height of the fence.

Dear Mr. R C Dixit,
Please send me details of the above mentioned natural fence.
My farm is around 1 acre located near Anekal, in Karnataka.
I plan to rear country chicken, grow vegetables and have a few fruit trees for personal consumption only.
This is not a commercial venture.
If possible please WhatsApp me on +9186184 50069

1 acer land has perimeter of 835 feet and u need 10ft compound , but u need 2 ft foundation for the compound so the rough are for your compound is 835 ft x12ft = 10020 sq.FT

In general u need 100 Hollow block for 100Sq ft wall including wastage, and 1.5 bag of cement

So for 10020 sq.Ft u need 10020 block u can add more waste and approx 11000 block and 150 bag of cement

So cost
11000x 40rs per Hollow block= 4,40,000 i.e 4.4L
Cement and sand
150X 500= 75000 ie 75K

Now labour u hire 10 people who lays 100sqft everyday
So avg labour is 750rs therefore u need 100days for 1 acer land compound so the cost per day is 750X10= 7500 and for 100 days 7.5L

So total cost will be 440000+750000+75000= 12.65L per acre and again if u add some miscellaneous expenses for 2L the total should not exceed 15L per acre

The above mentioned quotation was giving for my land and I spent 28L for 2 acre compound