Construction of Farm Ponds

Hi,

I have plans to construct a farm pond in 4 acres of land.
Request farmnest community to guide with the details.

Regards,
Surya

Hi Surya, I see that you got no responses…were you able to get some help outside and complete the farm pond? If so, I may need your help as I’m a beginner too!

Regards
Shankar

Greetings Shankar!

What exact information are you seeking? I might be able to help you with some data if you can be specific.

Where is your farm?. If your farm is in tamilnadu, you can approach local Agriculture Engineering Department. They do free of cost. You can choose either concrete or pond liner

Dear Surya Prakash,
You are not mentioned the purpose for the pound construction. if you clearly mentioned the purpose than I can guide you through farmnest. Also kindly mentioned the type of soil to decide the construction type. may this comments will help to proceed further.

Best Regards,
Azhar2345

Thanks Kou…a few specific questions are:
a. Is there a certain location that is best for creating a pond (North east corner etc)
b. I’m looking at a 500 sq.ft pond with 4 feet depth totalling to 2000 cubic ft of water storage…based on the rainfall and run-off calculations…how big should the silt pit be in this case?
c. What thickness of pond liner should I use?
d. In case of overflow, is it a normal practice to recharge the ground or let it overflow naturally?
e. Any contacts for material and deployment of the pond.

Thanks again
Shankar

Hi,
My farmland is in Denkanikottai, TN…the TNAU, Hosur seems to be the closest one…are you saying they would be able to help me determine the best place to have a pond in the plot, the choice of materials etc?
Any contacts there would be appreciated.

Answers to you question:

a. Is there a certain location that is best for creating a pond (North east corner etc)
[Kou] I am assuming that you are considering a dugout farm pond. If that is the case, then it should be located where there is natural source. If it was a surface pond (with embankments/dikes) then the answer would be different.

b. I’m looking at a 500 sq.ft pond with 4 feet depth totalling to 2000 cubic ft of water storage…based on the rainfall and run-off calculations…how big should the silt pit be in this case?
[Kou] Need to calculate that. Will send you some literature to help you with it.

c. What thickness of pond liner should I use?
[Kou] For your depth even a 250 micron will do. We regularly use 500 micron sheets. I am hearing that 1000 microns are now available. Normally, thicker the sheet the better but it also depends on construction of the sheet. Check out the warranties and the manufacturer. Warranties are normally 5 years.
Laying of liner is really important. It all depends on how the pit has been excavated, clearance of all big and small rocks, pointed stones, infestation of rats and bandicoots, joints sealing etc. Requires a good amount of supervision.
Another factor thats causes liners to rupture is the depth of the pond. The good thing is that in your case that’s not an issue.

e. Any contacts for material and deployment of the pond.
[Kou] Not sure where your farm is located. If it is in and around Pune, I can help. It is best to speak to local folks and gather some knowledge from them. There are tons of good companies Supreme, Garware, Rhinoguard, Texel to name a few.

Thanks Kou for the detailed responses…will keep these in mind. Apologies for the delayed response…got busy getting the basics out of the way :slight_smile: