Commercial vegetable project in a toughest and challenging environment

Dear friend

Kindly see below status of your soil and better consult an expert nearby your location . If your soil does not seem fit for vegetable cultivation , you can consider to grow fruit orchards that best fit your soil type

soil available nitrogen - 15.2 kg
soil phosphorus - 6.72 kg
soil potassium - 194 kg
soil calcium - 4417 kg
soil magnesium - 1281 kg
soil sulphur - 19.2 kg
soil sodium - 145.6 kg
soil zinc - 1.056 kg
soil manganese - 20.264 kgs
soil iron - 2.512 kg
soil copper - 4.328 kg
soil boron - 1.04 kg
cation exchange capacity- 42.37 cmol

soil PH - 8.3 

To produce 40 MT of Tomato per acre you need 

Nitrogen - 140 kgs
	phosphorus- 72 kgs
	potassium - 140 kgs 

Nitrogen required to be applied - 140-15.2 = 124.8 kgs
	phosphorus required to be applied - 72-6.72 = 65.28 kgs
	potassium required to be applied - 140- 194 = 54 kgs excess 

Vegetables generally grows well in slightly acidic to neutral soil ..where as your soil is Alkaline soil with more PH..May be your soil is clay type with poor drainage 

You might require to apply more gypsum like 2500 kgs per acre .Not all at once but bit by bit like 500-750 kgs everytime you cultivate the land .
	You should apply more green manure than animal manure - sunhemp 
	prefer acid forming fertilizers like Ammonium sulphate and ammonium nitrate when choosing nitrogenous fertilizers 
	soil is deficient in zinc and iron and also bit of boron deficit 
	so apply 2.5 kgs of iron sulphate and and 1.5 kgs of Zinc sulphate preferably in liquid form for spray than soil application 
	Boron - 1 kg 

Drip irrigation with 2 lit per hour discharge capacity ir advised 

Since potassium and calcium content in your soil is abnormal , and soil type being Alkalic-clay , you might encounter plant growth stunting with poor nutrient supply .That means inspite of more application rate of fertilizer nutrients to the soil, the available nutrients to the plant will be scarely around 20-25% 
	so before cultivation , better consult some expert nearby your location ..

Also you have not mentioned prevailing temperature and rainfall details for your location . If temperature is more with more summer days and less winter days and annual average rainfall is less like 500-600 MM
	then it will pose further problem in cultivating successful vegetables

May I know what’s the process to get your soil tested by National Agro Foundation? Did you mail your soil sample to them directly?

send half kg soil on the address …talk to them number are there in attachment.

Thank you Ramu Sir Very much for detail explanation.

it’s bad news for me that my soil doesn’t support Vegetable crops for high yield…but still i’ll go for Vegetable crop under your precious guidelines.

I know you have that magic that makes impossible things possible through you words Technology development is nothing but unfolding the mystery of plant life

Regards

Shrikant

@getshree123 :
I appreciate your enthusiasm and devotion towards farming. I recall the exact same level of excitement against odds that I bore when I started the journey.

Believe me I had to learn my lessons. Not saying much I agree with Ramu sir that you contact some really good, honest expert in your location and judiciously take steps to reach just the point which strikes the balance between practically possible highest yield Vs your Investment+Labour and at the same time maintaining soil health suitable for long term farming with at least convincing profits.

From your talk you seem to be quite a balanced person. Needless to say not get Desperate; instead Plan and accept the facts wherever you have to until you see proven breakthrough against a particular ‘Odd’ in your farm. Talk to as many unbiased farmers as possible especially in your area, share their experience before you start off.

My lesson along the journey: If one tries to prove only because he/she is unaware or can not let go of ego will only convert a minor damage into a total disaster and we have no right whatsoever to put our dependents at risk because of our less informed decisions.

I wish you all the success and safe journey.

Best Regards
Guru

Ramu Sir to calculate nutrient availability in soil in Kgs you have considered around 400 tonnes of soil per acre and used the same factor to calculate the nutrient availability in kgs. Is my calculation correct?

Regards,
Sushil

Dear Mr.Sushil

It is around 780 MT of soil calculated based on the vegetable root depth and soil particle density .If the said nutrients are calculated to be in 400 MT of soil , then it will be very bad soil …

Regards

Dear Ramu sir,

Thank you for everything!

Please find below requisite information

Point 1) Soil test reports are the same. I did the same procedure ( but instead of V Shape deep cut I used Soil Probe to collect samples).

Point 2) here are weather report summery of my place-
The average rainfall of Yavatmal District is 911.34 mms.
The rainfall of the last 12 years has certainly been enough when it has come at favourable times. The 25 years average gives 6 inches in June, 12 in July, 8 in August, 7 in September, 2 in October and less than 1 in each of the other months.
There is generally a breeze in the hot weather, so that the nights are cool.
The climate of the district is in, general hot and dry with moderately cold winters. The year may be divided into four seasons. The hot season begins in March and extends up to the first week of June. This is followed by the south west monsoon season which last up till the end of September, October and November constitute the post monsoon season and is followed by the cold season which last up till February.
The summer season from March to May is one of continuous rise in both day and night temperature. May is generally the hottest month of the year with the mean daily maximum temperature at about 42 C with the onset of the south west monsoons there is an appreciable fall in temperatures and the weather becomes pleasant. With the withdrawal of the monsoon day temperature increase slightly while night temperature progressively decrease. From about the end of November both day and night temperature fall rapidly and December is usually the coldest month of the year with the mean daily minimum temperature at about 13 C. The cold waves over northern India sometimes affect the district and the minimum temperature may drop to about 5 C.
During the South-west monsoon season the air is humid and the skies are heavily clouded to overcast. During the rest of the year the air is generally dry and the skies are clear or lightly clouded. Winds are generally light to moderate with some increase in force in the latter part of the summer season and the monsoon months.

Point 3) Source of water is open well.

Point 4) Irrigation water test – will get reports in few days as will send for testing.

Regards
Shrikant

Dear Guru Sir,

Thankyou for Appriciation.

I’ve contacted few experts on this subject but most of them did’nt found as per my expectation most are doing marketing for specific products with no definite goals , any way don’t want to go with them , when we have experts with us ( Ramu Sir).
Your experience will definitely help new farming members like me from getting into odds.
Soil health is my main objective to get desired output by balancing both organic and non-organic.
Thanks for your concerns and wishes.
Regards
Shrikant

Dear friend

Great …More than enough water for vegetable cultivation .

After receiving water analysis report from Lab , you can plan cultivation

Really you have got plenty of opportunity to produce quality vegetables in your location

First plan perfectly on paper and choose right vegetable

List out the requirement for executing your farm plan in the field

Foresee the negatives that may be expected to impact / impede your cultivation and plan contingency in advance .

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your Advice and Suggestions.

I will Plan accordingly and will keep you updated.

Regards

Shrikant

Dear Ramu Sir,

I have planted 1/2 acre of brinjal. In the first month, harvested around 20 quintals of marketable product and 7 quintal of infected brinjal.
Now, there are some ‘fruit rot’ and found ‘Difolatan’ fungicide to be used after searching a lot in google.

Could you please suggest something to control the 'fruit rot.
Also, is it ‘OK’ of the production quantity of brinjal.

Thanks,
Pradyot

Hi, Fruit rot is caused by so many pathogen in brinjal

Phomopsis fruit rot is caused by Phomospis vexan , being a pathogenic fungi . This happens when fruiting branches due to over weight/ lower branches bend down and lay over the soil surface with brinjal fruits directly come in contact with soil surface

Another reason for fruit rot are Anthrocnose fungi and bacteria causing soft rot disease . This happens when prevailing weather is warm and humid

so what you need to do is
stake the plant properly
Spray any one of the fungicide that is recommended for fruit rot disease control

Limit the irrigation to the requirement only…No excess irrigation and no excess nitrogen

Deliver Calicum nitrate and potash at weekly interval to the brinjal

700/2000 = 35 % fruit borer infected brinjal - seems you are maintaining international infection rate well …great

If you control pest and disease , adequately deliver plant nutrients , and maintain soil moisture at appropriate level , sure you can harvest bumper crop in brinjal …Try your level best

Thanks you Ramu Sir !!

True, the lower branches are happily sleeping on the soil :slight_smile:
I will definitely stake those and follow the suggestions.

Thanks for motivating us !!!

One more thing:

Have planted bitter gourd in 1/2 acre pandal system. In the first month, harvested around 2300 kgs of fruit.
But, now some of the leaves are spotted with slight yellowish colour.
Also, the flowering and fruit conversion has came down a little bit.

Could you please suggest any thing to increase the yield/flowering.

Thanks,
Pradyot

Dear friend

Yellowing in bitter gourd may be due to nutrient deficiency or excess soil moisture / soil compaction or sucking pest/ soil borne fungal pathogen infecting roots and conducting tissue …so without seeing exact cause or reason , it is very difficult to recommend remedy

Regards

Ramu sir, is there any separate post for cultivation practices followed in Moringa?

if no, then can i request you to clarify if we can get Moringa to yield between Dec - March( I know you have touched up on this previously but sorry i had to ask again as i am not clear on the challenges that we need to plan for as we are altering the natural cycle)?

This information is crucial as i have selected Moringa as my main crop to be intercropped with any nitrogen fixing crop(cowpea/pegionpea/ground nut) followed by a vegetables(tomato/Brinjal/Guards). Thus i want to reduce Yield overlap between Moringa and vegitables primarily during summer time for couple of reasons one is from labor stand point and the other being market price trend, since vegetables get good price during summers and Moringa peaks during Winter months(Dec-Feb).

Regards,
Sunil.

Actually Moringa does produce flowers through out year . Due to shift in climatic condition over many hundreds of years and declining soil fertility status flowering behaviour has become erratic …

Based on prevailing weather and soil condition in your location you may manipulate key factors to induce flowering
Regards

Thanks sir, will consider that as an uncontrollable risk and plan accordingly.

Life itself is at risk .Mango is native to India and from here only it reached everywhere around the globe
In India we harvest single yield in a year where as phillipines farmers make harvest round the year .How?

Likewise moringa is also native to India .It is not at all a risk trying to induce flowering round the year .
one that does not think agriculture in a commercial sense will not succeed. No commercial business is run without risk …