Commercial vegetable project in a toughest and challenging environment

Dear friend
Generally mite attacks vegetable in hot weather
The symptom is - affected plant show webs , leaves curl downward , turning brown and reddish and often go dry …

For controlling mite ,do spray Oberon pesticide at weekly interval

Another spray is sulphur powder that not only control mites and also provide secondary nutrient sulphur to the plant …Two in one purpose …
How ever you need to observe prevailing temperature in your field …Because at temperature above 32 degree Celsius , the sulphur will burn leaves …
So please do spray based on your field condition
Another thin is selection of sprayer …use high volume hand operated sprayer with double nozzles that are directed to the undersurface of leaves

Per acre needs 250 lit spray solution …

Thank you so much !!!

Sir, one more query, should I spray planofix or GA3 for high flowering and fruiting.

Thanks,
Pradyot

Planofix is nothing but NAA ( Napthalene Acetic acid ) sort of plant hormone and GA3 is just another type of hormone that are involved in plant growth and development …

Both NAA and GA3 spray show some result in enhanced yield compared to non treated Brinjal field …Among these two , NAA show comparatively better result @40 ppm dose ( 1 ml in 25 lit water ) .it is sprayed on 45th, 60 th and 90 th day after planting …

How the growth Hormone affect enhanced flowers ?

The brinjal produce 4 types of flowers
1.Long style flowers
2.Medium style flowers
3.Short style flowers
4.Pseudo style flowers

The first two kind of flowers really give harvest and other two aborts and limit the yield
When you spray any of these two plant hormone , it converts all the flowers into fruits in the first two categories and also convert third category flowers into productive flowers by increasing the length of style .

In sum total , the total number of productive flowers are more in case of the brinjal field sprayed with NAA or GA3 …

In brinjal , the plant initiate hormonal changes inside the plant in about 25 to 30 days after transplanting and prepare the plant for producing flowers but in fact we see real flowering in about 45 to 55 days after planting …Hence we need to spray any of these two hormone by around 25 th day after planting and continue spraying for next tow rounds at weekly or 10 days interval …

Compared to above two types of hormones , one most effective synthetic hormone called Triacontanol is the best hormone in inducing profuse flowering in Brinjal …

Spray Triacontanol at the above mentioned days @ 2PPM concentration ( 1 ml in 500 lit water ) and do NAA spray at 45, 60 and 90 th day …Really you will see highest number of flowering …

Triacontanol is an alcohol type hormone that really produce tremendous effect in flowering . It is the reason why the farmers in Punjab, Hariyana and around Delhi use more alcohol in Brinjal …

They buy alcohol from cheap source and drench it around root zone that makes all the brinjal ghost like that drinks more water and uptake most of the mineral nutrients from soil and part of the alcohol that reaches plant system induce increased production of flowering hormone called florigen that keep the brinjal plant producing flowers continuously

Also the Alcohol drenching to the brinjal increase the microbial activity in the rhizosphere ( Area around roots ) that also produce more growth hormones like GA3 that is used by plants…

But never spray alcohol on foliage as it kills chlorophyll and negatively impact photosynthesis …

But since Alcohol price is increasing at galloping speed , Brinjal farmers could not afford to pay for the alcohol …so as alternative to alcohol , you can buy mollasses from nearby sugar factory that are available free of cost and keep it fermented for about 15 days and then you can drench it around roots that does similar function as direct alcohol…

If you sincerely follow all the guideline , sure you will keep your brinjal into continuous flowering that will produce more than 100 MT of fruits in about 9-10 months time…

Summary

1.Triacontanol hormone at 25,32 and 39 days
2.Planofix ( NAA ) spray at 45, 60 and 90 th day
3.Alcohol /Mollasses soil drenching

Dear Members,

I’m a newbie, just planted F1 hybrid tomatoes in my 1/2 acre farm. needed some help in understanding this statement

“For tomato F1 hybrid, a dose of 200: 250: 250 kg of NPK / ha is applied
throughout the cropping period through split application. The split dose is applied
once in every three days through fertigation.”

Can anyone please help me understand how I can calculate the amount of NPK I need to apply for my 1/2 acre crop.
I’m using drip, so would be supplying the fertilizer through it.

Thanks
Rakesh

Dear Sri Rakesh,

Ha means 10,000 sq mtrs land. 1/2 acre means 2,000 sq mtrs. First you devide the recommended quantity, as stated by you, the quantity with 5. then required NPKwill be 40:50:50 kgs for the crop.

40 kgs N is Nitrozen. For example , in urea it will be 46%. you have to take 87 kgs of urea, for 40 kgs Nitrozen. For example you want in organic, Neem cake will roughly have 2 % to 5 %. first get the existing neem cake tested. ok ,if it is 2 %, in 1 kg of neem cake you will have 20 gms of nitrizen. for getting 40 kgs nitrozen in neem cake, you have to apply 2 ton neem cake.

Like this, if you want P 50 kgs, if you want to go for SSP, it will have around 20 %. Take 20 %, you have to give around 250 kgs of SSP. if it is other fertiliser, you have to caliculate accordingly.

like same, you want K, 50 kgs, if it is Murate of Potash, potash will be 50 %. Say you have to give MOP around 100 kgs to get 50 kgs of potash. If you want to give in other form, you have to caliculate accordingly.

As a senior farmer, i advise you get it caliculated with experts supervision till you get sufficient experiance in farming.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Thank You Rao Sir. I will follow your instructions. But will also post more questions if i need any more help :slight_smile:

Thank you so much Ramu Sir !!!

But, I saw in another thread as below:

Step 10 : Intercultivation : Foliar spray of pseudomonas @ 0.5 % at 15 days interval for 6 times
Triacontanol 250 ml mixed in 200 lit water ( 0.25 ppm ) is sprayed 15 and 30 th days after plant9ing
Planofix @ 50 ml in 200 lit water ( 0.25 ppm ) is prayed on 45 , 60 and 90 th day
Micronutrient mixture @ 1 g /lit ( 0.1%) is sprayed two times at 40 th and 80 th day after planting

farmnest.com/forum/agricultural- … n-mr-guru/

So, Please confirm which one to follow.

Thanks,
Pradyot

Dear friend …

Both are correct …The triacontanol unlike other growth regulating hormone does not produce negative impact in the brinjal or any other plant …

For example if you use GA3 in excess dose it will produce male flowers and at optimum dose it produce female flowers particularly in gourds and cucumbers
The 2-4-D hormone is acting like growth promoter in low concentration and as growth retardant in excess concentration

where as in case of triacontanol the concentration of spray fluid is from 0.25 to 2 ppm ( Generally any growth regulator works well in lesser concentration )

The reason for this range in triacontanol concentration it is playing significant role in plant hormone biosynthesis, photosynthesis in chlorophyll etc…

There are different brinjal varieties with atleast small variations in morphological and anatomical characters …Some brinjal produce glossy and thin leaves and some other brinjal produce thick leaves with spines and several layer of polyshade cells in the leaves with more chlorophyll content …These variation in brinjal is also caused by weather difference between the season in the same year…Moderate weather produce thick and juicy leaves and hot weather produce thing leaves with limited polyshade cells …

For those brinjal with thick leaves and spines the 2 ppm concentration levels work better in producing more flowers and fruits and in some other brinjal with thin and glossy leaves 0.25 to 0.5 ppm concentration works better …

You can see various brinjal varieties like EBH , green long, mullu kathri ( spiny brinjal) White bottle egg plants, purple long , medium purple long etc…with minute variation in morphological and physical appearance between these them

So I did not want to put everything elaborately that will otherwise become boredom for the reader… In case extreme concentration of PGR is likely to cause adverse effect I would have given detail explanation about specific dose with caution note …

Also I would like to caution you to read the container and confirm its active ingredients in total packed quantity …There will also be some prescription and direction about how much to use and at what concentration …that is mixing ratio…The manufacturer prescribe the concentration taking into account the quantity of active ingredient in the total material…

Thank you Sir !!

One more help please … Any pesticides for below:

1. Shoot and fruit borer in brinjal
  2. Leaf borer in brinjal
  3. Leaves turning yellow in long yard beans.

Will try to upload some of the pictures, if possible.

Please mention the composition and it would be great to have the exact pesticide names used to avail it easily from shops.

Thanks,
Pradyot

For brinjal shoot borer , you can spray carbaryl 50 WP @ 3 grams /lit water, or Profenophos @ 2 ml /lit water or cypermethrin @ 2ml /lit water or Endosulphon @ 2ml per lit water

Or resort to biormulation like BT(Dipel ), Tracer

However please try IPM technique

for leaf webber or leaf borer , spray coragen or chlorpyriphos or carbaryl

For yard long bean , the yellow color may be due to mosaic, or sucking pest or nutrient deficiency or sub soil hard layer ,so please post picture for diagnosis

Dear Ramu Sir,

A big Thanks for all your help !!
I have planted bitter gourd in 1/2 acre on 2nd June. Now, the plants are almost 1 feet tall, but the leaves of some of the plants are getting squeezed downward and the shoots are getting thick.

This is affecting the normal growth of the plants. Please help me.

Thanks,
Pradyot

Dear friend

Generally crops belonging to gourds ( cucurbits ) family is succulent and prone to damage by water logging or unwanted chemicals like Sulphur and copper that is phytotoxic or diseases…so please always post few picture shot at close and long distance

I hope Sri.G.P.Rao sir is the best man to address this problem .Because he seems to be travelling far and wide across our country most specifically Maharastra and he might have hand on experience about cropping pattern and prevailing local issues to solve this issue …

Thank you friend

Hi Ramu Sir/ G.P Rao Sir,

Here goes pictures of

1. bitter gourd
  2. Brinjal
  3. Long yard beans

Please let me know what is causing this and remedies for the same.

Thanks,
Pradyot

Some more pictures…

Good …It is insect pest both on brinjal as well as Bittergourd

Bitter gourd - leaf miner and Aphid .The aphid really squeezed the leaves from under leaf surface

Brinjal - Shoot borer …

The field picture says that you seem to practice ZBNF doing cultivation in undisturbed nature . Weeds are bright and beautiful and I don’t know whether it is heavy rain or uncontrolled irrigation that might have kept your field excessively wet …

For sucking pest like aphid in bitter gourd -do spray Imidachloprid @0.5 ml in 1 lit water and add sticking agent like teepol or Apsa 80 …
For Brinjal , do spray Acetamprid @ 1 g/ 1 lit water

If you are following organic farming -spray GCZ solution @ 50-100 ml in 1 lit water /Neem seed kernel extract 500 ml in 10 lit water / Panchagavya-30 ml in 1 lit water after light pruning of damaged leaves in bittergourd and damaged shoots in brinjal

If you are following ZBNF - pray herbal /Homeo solution @ 500 ml in 1 lit water

Regards

Thank you Ramu Sir !!!

One more help needed for long yard bean:
1.This is badly affected by leaf miner. Could you please suggest anything for the leaf miner problem of the long yard bean.
2. The lower leaves are turning yellowish and falling down prematurely.

Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
Pradyot

Yes …the yardlong bean foliage shows yellowing symptom due to so many reasons as mentioned below
1.Stem fly insect - The fly lays eggs at the base of primary leaves and the maggots ( larvae ) after hatching moves down along petiole to the bottom of the stem near about collar ( just about the ground level ) .This cut off the conduction system and arrest water and nutrient flow to the aerial parts and plants turn yellow and dry .This infestation of stem fly insect happens and noticed around rainy season…
2.Also the BEAN FOLIAGE BEETLE , the larva of this kind of insect feed and damage below ground parts at roots and adult beetle feed on the foliage .The leaves turn yellow
3.Cut worm that feeds on roots underneath soil surface also make the yardlong beans produce yellow leaves and subsequent death of plants
4.The leaf miner damage on leaves also happens around the early growing phase …
5.Also the water stress /drought or subsurface hard soil layer also cause yellowing of the beans …

So when the causes of leaf yellowing are various in nature , how anyone can recommend specific remedy for the malady in question

However following are suggested
1.GAP- Weeding and earthing up ( soil mound around the base of the plant )
2.For leaf miner - Fibronil 5% SC @ 2 ml / lit water or coragen @ 0.5 ml /lit water or lannate or malathion …
3.Bean fly - Endosulphon or acephate
4.Foliage beetle - Cypermethrin or Actra ( Thiomethoxam ) or carbaryl
So first fix the specific problem ( cause of damage ) and choose an appropriate remedial measures
However Cultural practices ( GAP-Good agricultural practices ) combined with chemical only will have better cure than any single control measure…
Always post a field picture with close shot about damage symptom and wide coverage showing general crop appearance in the field …
Unless you understand the specific cause , you can not find suitable remedy

Dear Ramu Sir,

Thank you for such a detail explanation on Brinjal crop. Hatsoff to your Knowledge sir …
No words… I follow all your messages and read 2/3 times to penetrate in brain.
I have one querry sir.
Can we follow the same crop husbandry of Brinjal (Provided by you on other forum) to other vegetable crops (i.e Tomato,Chilli) with crop specific fertilizer percentage ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Shrikant

Dear Mr.srikanth
Sure follow same husbandry except spacing , season and fertilizer type to suit your soil type
Regards

Ramu Sir

Thank you sir very much for your reply…

Herewith i am attaching soil test report . please advise fertilizer Schedule for Brinjal and capsicum crops.

Sorry sir I know i am asking more ,but as i am starting vegetable cultivation from December leaving job .

Story is as like others IT’s.

Regards
Shrikant
Soil test.pdf (696 KB)