Commercial high value hybrid vegetable nursery

1000 SQ M AREA - hybrid vegetable nursery is raised here - Tomato, brinjal. chillies , melon, gourds etc - in 14 days cycle the seedlings ready for planting in the main field are sold to the needy farmers. Shorter turnover period …Quality nursery is supplied to vegetable farmers. A tie up arrangement between nursery man and vegetable farmers is made before raising commercial nursery. A Good income of Rs.10 lac is earned per year

T.Ramu., B.Sc., ( Agri ) MBA
AGricultural officer
Dept of Agriculture
Govt of Tamilnadu
Chennai

Can you provide an XL sheet with all the details of cost incurred to raise and maintain this nursery. Please share so that the Farmnest community can learn from it.
Please include both CAPEX and OPEX cost. Also from where are you sourcing different items at good price.

Thanks
-Rajdeep

Hello Mr. Ramu

I have always enjoyed your posts…always very to the point & informative.

I have a few questions?

1. What is the seedling requirement of a 20 acre intensive organic vegetable (open) operation?
  2. What is the nursery size & infrastructure required for the same?
  3. What is the manpower required for that nursery?
  4. What is the cost of setting up such nursery, except land?
  5. What is the manpower requirement of the 20 acre vegetable production farm?
  6. What difference does open or protected (not hi-tech) cultivation of the said vegetable farm have?

My regards.
Sanjay.

[quote=sanjay_arora]
Hello Mr. Ramu

I have always enjoyed your posts…always very to the point & informative.

I have a few questions?

1. What is the seedling requirement of a 20 acre intensive organic vegetable (open) operation?
    The seedling requirement is around 24 000 per ha in 90 Cms* 60 cms* 60 cms spacing …The number of seedlings vary according to the kind of vegetable you want to grow and spacing

2. What is the nursery size & infrastructure required for the same?
    3 cents nursery for 1 ha area is required & infrastructure required are shadenet house, protray, irrigation network, polythene sheets , insect proof net etc.

3. What is the manpower required for that nursery?
    For 3 cent nursery 2 female labor and one male labours are enough

4. What is the cost of setting up such nursery, except land?
    1.0 to 1.5 lac rupees for setting up this nursery including seeds cost . However you can establish low cost nursery with just 0.5 to 0.8 lac rupees by utilising locally available materials for setting up this kind of nursery without altering the fundamental idea and concept . For 20 acres you need 25 cents nursery but the cost of establishing this kind of nursery is just 2.5 to 3 lac rupees under low cost techniques.

5. What is the manpower requirement of the 20 acre vegetable production farm?
    10 female labour and 5 male labour on continuous and regular basis

6. What difference does open or protected (not hi-tech) cultivation of the said vegetable farm have?
    Under protected cultivation most of the factors of production like soil, water , nutrient , pest and disease could be kept under control where as in open cultivation for example when you raise nursery on raised bed it will register only 35 to 40 % germination, all seedlings will not be uniform vigour and strength , pest and disease infestation might be there …where as in protected cultivation nursery raised under shadenet in protray will register more than 90 % germination with uniform growth and quality, pest and disease free…

Likewise vegetable cultivated in protected structure will produce good and marketable quality of vegetable produce with more than 80 % first grade quality , uniform size and shining skin color …yield will also be higher by 30 to 40 % in protected cultivation

Under open cultivation ,size and quality of vegetable produce varies after each harvest , pest and disease infestation will be there, first grade quality will be only 55 to 60 % , dull skin color , yield is less by 15 to 25 % compared to the produce of protected cultivation etc.,

Since this subject is exhaustive and time is limited I stop with this small briefing …

Thanks and regards
T.Ramu., B.Sc., ( Agri ) MBA
Agricultural officer
Chennai