Coconut Farming and Bamboo as a fencing

Dear All,
Greetings to one and all
I am venu, from AP.
I am planning to establish new farm with Deejay Farms Sampoorna Hybrid verity in my 5 acres land. I need some clarification for my below doubts.

1. is that Sampoorna verity is viable ? if yes how much yield can i expect ? (good management)
  2. can i use Bamboo as the fencing to 5 acres land ? or go for wire fencing or solar fencing , which is the best one.
  3. what are the best management practices in Coconut farm
  4. which is the best intercrop in coconut farm ?

thanks & regards
K Venu Gopal

1. is that Sampoorna verity is viable ? if yes how much yield can i expect ? (good management) You can go ahead. Subject to good management you can get 25 coconuts per year from one tree.
  2. can i use Bamboo as the fencing to 5 acres land ? or go for wire fencing or solar fencing , which is the best one. Bamboo is good where soil is eroding in your land. But, Bamboo is not advisable as fence. You can consider live fence along with barbed wire and solar fence based on the threat (wild animals etc) in your land
  3. what are the best management practices in Coconut farm? Have inter crops along with Coconut plantation with spacing about 25 feet distance in all directions. Plantation should be in zigzag method allowing maximum air and sunlight.
  4. which is the best intercrop in coconut farm ? You can have Jack Fruit, Jamoon ( Nerale/Neradi). You can also have seasonal crops along with these two crops subject to availability of water source. Have good results.

thank you sir, in point no 1 you said 25 nuts per year… it is 25 or 250 ?

. * s that Sampoorna verity is viable ? if yes how much yield can i expect ? (good management)
Do not use the Hybrid coconuts . Useless and over priced . Use the regular ones . If it is for tender coconut use varieties suitable for that

• can i use Bamboo as the fencing to 5 acres land ? or go for wire fencing or solar fencing , which is the best one.
    For 5 acres fencing I would suggest wire fencing and solar . If possible you can also grow palm , teak trees . If you can plant in the month of August september you can expect the plants to survive .

• what are the best management practices in Coconut farm
    Rhinocerous beetle , red weevil are too much of a pest . I have found that Hybrid varieties are more endangered than the local varieties . Next instead of buying plants from Nursery would suggest buying coconuts and having your own seedlings . Cheaper , much more reliable .

• which is the best intercrop in coconut farm ?
    I have Mango , Lemon and coconut . Lemon and coconut are all year round and Mango if pruned seasonally will give you good crop . !Uploading a pic of my farm .

1 Like

Hi, I am from Pallava Integrated Farm, kaveripakkam. We have planted 61 trees of Sampoorna on both sides of the private road leading to our farm. Please see below our experience.

1. Grows well with enough water, but the effect of Rhinoceros beetle is very high compared to native trees.
  2. The first flower comes as advertised between 26 to 30 mths, but the next bunch appears only after 2 to 3 years.
  3. The fruits are big as given to yield 750 ml or more.This also depends on the water and fertiliser organic better than chemical given.
    Overall a very good variety.
    Can provide growth pictures and other details if needed.
    Antony Raj
  • List item

Thank you for information… Pls share your farm picture and other management techniques… You can send to my contact number 8099298484. Thank you

Mr Venugopal,
If you have good water source and if yoy can involve personally in Agri activities, plz go for Figs, Papaya or Gauva.You can see income in12 to 18 Months.
You can go for bamboo for fencing. Many varieties in Bamboo with thorns ( for fencing) very difficult to cut and sell. Other Bamboo Bheema most popular one.you get around around 50,000 to 1,00,000 from 3 rd to 5 th year onwards depending on the number you plant (600) as suggested by experienced person who are cultivating bamboo.
This coconut to harvest problem with labour. Teak also good in border / boundry. If the land is of more extent than huge amount for fencing. It costs around 6 + lakhs for 4500 running Feet of 5 feet height link mesh with 1.5 inch MS pipe. Basing on your budget better you decide. Natural fencing is better if no problem with neighbouring land owner.

Kindly visit my private website…Pallava Integrated Farm.
Antony Raj

Dear Antonraj iam near vallanur of Kaveripakkam i am interested in fencing Coconut and Bamboo kindly guide
Regards
Senthil
rsidha@yahoo.com

Use coconuts along private road sides, both RHS and LHS, as we have done, or along “varapu’s----Bunds”. The fruits will be protected.

For fencing use casuarina tree saplings Rs. 4/-, OR eucalyptus saplings Rs. 7/-.Processing: 2021.09.21-WA0034.3gp…

Antony Raj
Pallava Integrated Farm